Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone)

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #11  
IMG_3484.jpg

Just the way you planned it. Looks good.

Now go back and destroy the evidence.

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone)
Making progress, i got the log lift and valve mounts done but forgot the camera.

Heres a mock up of the finished splitter to check how its going to fit together.

IMG_3487.jpg

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #13  
Mr. Keith has been a serious contributor on many projects round here too!

A couple pics of the finished splitter before primer. Sorry there are no interim shots as i forgot the camera most days.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

Everything masked for painting.

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

Small parts primed

IMG_3522.jpg

IMG_3526.jpg

main section primed

IMG_3525.jpg

Lesson for the day... ALWAYS make sure your paint cup is FIRMLY attached!!!;)

IMG_3524.jpg

Only cheap primer, thankfully, but its still about $10 worth:mur:

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #15  
Looking good :thumbsup:

You've done a good job 'resembling' the high dollar timberwolf's. I really like the table grate and am curious to see how the slip-over wedge holds up.

I started building my diesel splitter and got some pointers from timberwolf, but made my own tweaks here and there. You even went as far as the cutout hole in the beam to move one of the hydraulic lines from side to side-I'm jealous cause I didnt catch that in mine!

But again, good job and keep that camera in the shop so you take some more pictures!

Its ORANGE, oh boy is it orange!!!!! 1/2 gallon of tremclad Bright Orange baby!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3528.jpg

Assembled with motor,tank and cylinders, waiting for hoses

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3530.jpg

Last edited:
Mr. Keith has been a serious contributor on many projects round here too!

Me and Alexander go way back. Yes were on a first name basis:laughing:

Looking good :thumbsup:

You've done a good job 'resembling' the high dollar timberwolf's. I really like the table grate and am curious to see how the slip-over wedge holds up.

I started building my diesel splitter and got some pointers from timberwolf, but made my own tweaks here and there. You even went as far as the cutout hole in the beam to move one of the hydraulic lines from side to side-I'm jealous cause I didnt catch that in mine!

But again, good job and keep that camera in the shop so you take some more pictures!

Thanks. I try to take the cam, but i usually forget.

I think the wedge should hold up good. Its made from 1/2 plate and the tip is 3/4 wear plate.

There is one thing on the wedge i need to adjust. The wedge tip protudes about 1/2" into the stroke of the cylinder. I got to regrind the tip to make clearance. Not an issue if im watching the stroke , but i intend on having the split function on automatic.

As an aside, im having a discussion on the best way to reduce flow to the auxiliary circuits (wedge and log lift). Weve discussed everything from priority flow to restrictor orifices. If anyone has something to add to the discussion id love to hear it. I hope to have it plumbed tomorrow or monday.

The discussion thread is here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/221328-reducing-flow-pressure-hydraulic-branch.html

IMG_3484.jpg

Just the way you planned it. Looks good.

Now go back and destroy the evidence.

LOL i should:thumbsup:

I guess my shame will live on forever in cyberspace:laughing:

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #20  
LOL i should:thumbsup:

I guess my shame will live on forever in cyberspace:laughing:

Now I am no expert, by any measure, but it seems to me the added bracing wasn't needed. Not criticizing, the build looks fantastic, but isn't all the main pressure going from the flat vertical surface, to the pin holding it to the cylinder? It appears to me the flat bottom, is there only to serve as a guide to keep the piston on track.

The new brace seems only necessary, to support pressure from the vertical surface, to the horizontal surface. Is there that much pressure downward?

I just hate to see ya have to go through all the extra work, especially since you already did it.

Or am I missing something critical in the design?