Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone)

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #21  
He's just sad 'cuz he didn't overbuild it enough.

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone)
Now I am no expert, by any measure, but it seems to me the added bracing wasn't needed. Not criticizing, the build looks fantastic, but isn't all the main pressure going from the flat vertical surface, to the pin holding it to the cylinder? It appears to me the flat bottom, is there only to serve as a guide to keep the piston on track.

The new brace seems only necessary, to support pressure from the vertical surface, to the horizontal surface. Is there that much pressure downward?

I just hate to see ya have to go through all the extra work, especially since you already did it.

Or am I missing something critical in the design?

My theory was that the gussets have maximum strength at 45* from the top of the push plate to the far end of the base plate.

Since i had to notch the gusset to make room for the cylinder i lost most of the support for the push plate that was provided via the gusset.

The piece i welded in served two purposes. 1. It tied the right and left gusset together to prevent them from spreading under pressure. 2. it replaced some of the support provided by the now cut gusset and also tied the push plate to the base plate a bit more at the front.

Was it overkill? Probably. But why not:thumbsup:

He's just sad 'cuz he didn't overbuild it enough.
:thumbsup:

Overbuilt FTW!!!

An update. THe hoses are purchased and some are installed, but im a couple 90*s and a T short of finishing the assembly. Hopefully monday. I ran into a clearance issue with the T at the front of the split cylinder hitting the valve block for the aux circuit.

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #23  
OK another question, what kinda amperage is required to weld something like this? My little wire welder only puts out about 85 amps, and I am guessing that isn't enough.

OK another question, what kinda amperage is required to weld something like this? My little wire welder only puts out about 85 amps, and I am guessing that isn't enough.

id say your machine isnt powerful enough.

90% of this splitter was welded with 7018 at ~140 A DC or 6013 at ~90 A with my Thunderbolt stick welder. The remaining 10% were tacks using my 130A mig. Even maxed out at 130A it wasnt really enough to get a good hot weld on the heavy metal used on most of the splitter.

its on jobs like this where the cheap power of a stick welder shines. A mig capable of welding this heavy of steel would be $2500-3000.

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #25  
Yea thats what I figured, but wanted to know for sure. I need to get one of the old tombstones.

Yea thats what I figured, but wanted to know for sure. I need to get one of the old tombstones.

Look for a AC/DC unit. Hard to beat the old transformer welders they pretty much run forever.

An update.

Had to thread sched40 pipe for return line. Not a fun job. I hate working with pipe.

IMG_3549.jpg

Spaghetti Factory

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

Hose claps welded on and hose mounted

IMG_3550.jpg

The splitter runs now, but i got a few things to fix.

1. The return line has several leaks. One Union and a few pieces of pipe where it threads into a 90. Could be the crappy Chinese 90's as i made sure they were tight during assembly. Now i got to take apart almost the whole return in order to fix the leaks. Not fun. Did i mention i hate pipe:mad:

2. Pump doesnt seem to be running in high flow mode.

3. Max press is too low, its about 2250 and i want it at 3000. I have to turn up the pump.

4. wedge needs to be shortened because the push plate is hitting it.

5. auto cycle doesnt seem to be working.

Thats the list so far.. likely more to come.

/ Woodsplitter Build (Timberwolf clone) #29  
Very nice splitter, very nice.

Got the issues fixed and have several hours on the splitter. Split 4+ cord so far with another 4 to go.

After messing with the return and completely disassembling and rebuilding 2x i decied to replace the black pipe with hose.

Went to the local hose shop, and had 3 3/4 hoses made. $125 later and i have a decent return system. It was worth it to save my sanity.

So far the machine is working great. Splits very fast, almost too fast for one guy.

The 4-way wedge is holding up very well. No problems so far, but the 4 way sliding up and down the 1way wedge has destroyed the cutting edge of the one way. Im going to have to regrind the 1 way and weld some spacers into the inside edge of the 4 way to insure it maintains clearance from the 1 way cutting edge.

The outfeed deck is working beyond expectations. the pipe is allowing any loose bark to fall to the ground easily. I then rake this into the burn pile.

One issue with the outfeed is you have to ensure that the push block isnt pushing a log along the log lift. If that happens you will bend the outfeed table pipes in the area of the wedge. Im going to rework that in the off season, maybe some plate with a ramp facing the log lift welded over the ends of the pipe to re-enforce and direct any wayward logs up over the outfeed table.

So far, ive split some gnarley logs and the splitter hasnt let me down, Matter of fact it stays in low pressure mode 95% of the time no matter what i throw at it.

Log lift and hyd wedge. Id never build or use a splitter without either of

these items. Theyre worth their weight in gold
IMG_3557.jpg

Its a start

IMG_3558.jpg

The powered wheelbarrow has come in handy for sure.:thumbsup:

IMG_3555.jpg

Carnage!!!

IMG_3559.jpg