Work platform

/ Work platform #1  

Shirleyshusband

Bronze Member
Tractor
Manindra 3510
This forum has been a great source of information for me so I thought I'd try to contribute a bit.

My new tractor has a cab. My old tractor didn't. My trails through the woods have plenty of overhanging branches that won't clear the cab. A platform should work good once the ground is froze with a friend and chainsaw in the bucket.

So my first build was a work platform. I wanted more lights in the shed so it worked out great for that too. My BIL electrician loved it.

Materials were under $300 from a local welding shop. I cut things to size, welded and painted it. Used 5 lbs of welding rods!
Still need to make a "tool box" for it.

Thanks to all who share their info on here.

20231227_120551.jpg

/ Work platform #2  
Looks nice. Good to see the chains on it. Years ago, I was on a job where they were using a basket like that and the operator in the skid steer backed into a rafter and wiped the basket off the forks (they'd forgot to hook up the chains) with a guy in it. The whole thing came crashing down and threw the guy out. He ended up with a big gash under his chin. Was lucky whatever cut him wasn't a few inches further back towards his throat.

/ Work platform #3  
Looks nice. Good to see the chains on it. Years ago, I was on a job where they were using a basket like that and the operator in the skid steer backed into a rafter and wiped the basket off the forks (they'd forgot to hook up the chains) with a guy in it. The whole thing came crashing down and threw the guy out. He ended up with a big gash under his chin. Was lucky whatever cut him wasn't a few inches further back towards his throat.

I like to put a ratchet strap on mine. It stops it from moving around on the forks. It looks like the OP has a bolt to tighten against the forks that would do the same thing. I was considering welding a skid steer plate directly on the basket to avoid having to use the forks all together.

/ Work platform #6  
I built a work platform for my forks but I'm always a bit nervous using it. I know it's very rare but a sudden hydraulic failure could cause an injury.

I came across this idea in a post by @Smokeydog in another thread. His build uses adjustable support legs:

IMG_1951.jpeg

I can see where the rig could be cumbersome to use, especially indoors, but his idea has merit. The legs can always be removed if necessary.

/ Work platform #7  
I thought about putting a rope ladder on the side of mine so I could position the basket then climb up into it. but I try to discourage myself from working alone when working off the ground.

/ Work platform #9  
I have a similar aluminum walkboard. It will skate on steel scaffolding in a heartbeat if not secured.

/ Work platform #10  
I built a work platform for my forks but I'm always a bit nervous using it. I know it's very rare but a sudden hydraulic failure could cause an injury.

I came across this idea in a post by @Smokeydog in another thread. His build uses adjustable support legs:

View attachment 841866

I can see where the rig could be cumbersome to use, especially indoors, but his idea has merit. The legs can always be removed if necessary.

A hydraulic hose definitely could rupture but I’ll take my chances of that vs a ladder.