Work platform

/ Work platform #11  
I built a work platform for my forks but I'm always a bit nervous using it. I know it's very rare but a sudden hydraulic failure could cause an injury.

I came across this idea in a post by @Smokeydog in another thread. His build uses adjustable support legs:

View attachment 841866

I can see where the rig could be cumbersome to use, especially indoors, but his idea has merit. The legs can always be removed if necessary.
That looks like an interesting idea, but it would be good to test it before becoming too confident in it. It appears that in the event of a hydraulic failure the basket would rotate toward the tractor and bend/collapse the legs as the loader arms went down.

When I was a kid a bud of mine worked in a factory that made paper boxes. They had a shear that would slice a stack of paper a foot thick or so. At times, the machine operators had to reach under the blade to clear scrap. The company provided an oak 4x4 for "safety". One day an operator decided to test the 4x4. You now what happened to the 4x4 and it's good it was a test without body parts being risked.

/ Work platform #12  
I think the risk of another person accidentally operating the joystick (or moving the tractor) is greater than that of a hose suddenly failing.

Also many loader valves leak which could let the platform slowly sag down and possibly damage something.

I think it's less risky than a ladder. Mine is a much sturdier platform to work from than a ladder.

/ Work platform #13  
Very nice.

I bought a nice plastic pallet, and I bolt it to my forks. But there's no railing, so not nearly as safe. I do wish I had that.

/ Work platform #14  
If you read the build I did test with a 950# weight. Tractor off, hydraulic pressure totally relieved. One leg could support the platform.

Any safety system can be defeated.

/ Work platform #15  
I bought a cheap one > Amazon.com
This one folds up for easy storage.
I like the looks of it.. I doubt that I can buy the metal any cheaper than what yours cost. Is it as sturdy as it looks?

/ Work platform #16  
If you read the build I did test with a 950# weight. Tractor off, hydraulic pressure totally relieved. One leg could support the platform.

Any safety system can be defeated.
I'll admit not going back to research it. Good thinking 👍

/ Work platform #17  
Very nice.

I bought a nice plastic pallet, and I bolt it to my forks. But there's no railing, so not nearly as safe. I do wish I had that.
Do you think you could attach a 2x4 wood railing to the pallet. I sometimes see the plastic pallets on Craigslist for $15. They look sturdy enough.

/ Work platform #18  
I like the looks of it.. I doubt that I can buy the metal any cheaper than what yours cost. Is it as sturdy as it looks?
It is sturdy enough and the guardrails feel sturdy too. Had it for years, lent it out to a neighbor who like it also. It folds up about 6 inches wide and I roll it into a space between the container and the garage wall where it quietly waits for the next use.

/ Work platform #19  
It is sturdy enough and the guardrails feel sturdy too. Had it for years, lent it out to a neighbor who like it also. It folds up about 6 inches wide and I roll it into a space between the container and the garage wall where it quietly waits for the next use.
Sounds like what I need. Thanks for posting. (y)

/ Work platform #20  
With any man lift, proper fall protection should be used. Harness and tether anchored to good attachment point. Do I always use? No but sometimes. With a tractor the terrain is not level and smooth like a warehouse floor. Trimming tree like having sturdy rails to lean against. Sometimes plumbing up with backhoe stabilizer before lifting.

Sturdy rails double as carryall, sawhorses, and work platform.