Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed?

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #11  
I know what it feels like to get bit by a table saw, I almost lost a thumb from one, still dont have all the feeling back after 20+ years. great invention but i would not try it. Too many flash backs just watching it.
Amen! Ran the tip of the left index finger lengthwise thru my saw a few years ago. Cut about a third of the way down into the nail, shredded the tip of my bone. Happened about a millisecond after I thought to myself "I probably shouldn't be doing it this way". Everything healed up to look normal but no feeling in the tip except ....... When it gets really cold it hurts like h*ll! Go figure!

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #12  
It works by sensing capacitance.

The stoppage will start working before you actual touch the metal.

If you don't believe it, then touch the sides of the blade.

I have a Note 3 Smart phone, and it uses a external pen to select what I want before I even touch the screen. I believe that is capacitance is working there also.

I still believe you can cut yourself by the speed you hand is moving.

Try it with a hotdog, and you will see.

Can you afford one?

Amazon.com: SawStop: S

Yep, it's the very same concept as the touch lamps that turn on/off, or vary the brightness, with just a simple touch. That little invention should make him a fortune, if it catches on. And the only way I would even try it would be to touch the side of the blade, not the teeth!!! My momma ain't raised no fool!!! :D

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #13  
I was ripping a piece of wood and i reached to grab my "push board" and I guess I leaned into it , felt like I had stuck my finger in a light socket, chewed mine to the bone as well, so bad they could not stitch or graph it. Makes mine hurt all over again to watch it. :eek:
Amen! Ran the tip of the left index finger lengthwise thru my saw a few years ago. Cut about a third of the way down into the nail, shredded the tip of my bone. Happened about a millisecond after I thought to myself "I probably shouldn't be doing it this way". Everything healed up to look normal but no feeling in the tip except ....... When it gets really cold it hurts like h*ll! Go figure!

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #14  
I wonder if they could make one for a framing hammer.:laughing: I hit the tip of my index finger while it was sitting on the edge of a 2x6. It looks ok now but feeling is messed up.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #15  
I wonder if they could make one for a framing hammer.:laughing: I hit the tip of my index finger while it was sitting on the edge of a 2x6. It looks ok now but feeling is messed up.

do you know how to make that finger quit hurting????? Hit the one beside it.:laughing: My uncle told me that when I hit mine, was not funny at the time.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #16  
I have had a Saw Stop table saw for ~ 4 years. I have accidentally triggered the brake twice...once when I was cutting some plywood that had wet glue on it and once when I was reeling up a metal tape measure and the end of the tape touched the still spinning blade. Expensive mistakes...I had to buy new brakes and blades each time. But, small price to pay for the security of potentially saving my fingers/hands. I look at the Saw Stop technology like auto air bag technology....I hope I never need it. But, it is nice to know it is there in case something happens. Very high quality table saw!

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #17  
The ag department at the highschool has one. They work. I almost lost my thumb, ring and middle finger last year. 34,000 dollars later and all summer off, with therapy I have almost 100% use of that hand. I'm a chief engineer on a lower Mississippi towboat. Diesel mechanic, plumber, welder, electrician, just a few of the jobs I do on here. If I would lost use of that hand it would have been over. Thought I did. I have been out here for twenty years and have a great Saftey record. A table saw can get anyone, it got me. If I had the stop saw, it wouldn't of happened. You can't put a price on that. Here is a pick of the hand after the nurse cleaned it up.

Attachments

• image-544790582.jpg
    image-544790582.jpg
    355.9 KB · Views: 209
   / Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #18  
I have had a Saw Stop table saw for ~ 4 years. I have accidentally triggered the brake twice...once when I was cutting some plywood that had wet glue on it and once when I was reeling up a metal tape measure and the end of the tape touched the still spinning blade. Expensive mistakes...I had to buy new brakes and blades each time. But, small price to pay for the security of potentially saving my fingers/hands. I look at the Saw Stop technology like auto air bag technology....I hope I never need it. But, it is nice to know it is there in case something happens. Very high quality table saw!

Not only is it a great safety device, it is a really well built saw! High quality, great tolerances in manufacturing. To add to this, you need a different cartridge when you switch to a dado set also. You also have to be careful if you are cutting reclaimed lumber as there may be an errant nail or staple that is enough to trigger it. They do have a switch to disable it in case you are cutting metal with it. You just have to remember to re-enable it afterwards.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #19  
I've heard about it years ago. My problem with it is if you sweat and drip it on the blade, or any liquid, can trigger it. I use fans and open doors to keep cool in the summer. So it if I triggered it, it would cost a blade and a stop brake. Probably about $100 for nothing.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #20  
I don't care how it works, there is no way in one zillion years I would put my finger in there on purpose to prove anything. To me, that is just dumb. Then again, I never go on roller coasters either.

Its a good thing, don't get me wrong. I only hope it doesn't make people less careful or more daring/foolish. Heaven forbid something goes wrong and the thing fails to work that one time.

MoKelly