Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed?

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #21  
I think it is a great idea, but I can't help but wonder how it works if you are not "sneeking" up on the blade, what if you happened to hit it reaching for something on cutting at a faster pace?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using TractorByNet

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #22  
It works by sensing capacitance.

The stoppage will start working before you actual touch the metal.

If you don't believe it, then touch the sides of the blade.

I have a Note 3 Smart phone, and it uses a external pen to select what I want before I even touch the screen. I believe that is capacitance is working there also.

I still believe you can cut yourself by the speed you hand is moving.

Try it with a hotdog, and you will see.

Can you afford one?

Amazon.com: SawStop: S

Great assessment JJ, thanks.

They say "shoving your finger into a table saw" but he's not. In fact the way he's doing it he could cut the first 1/100" of skin then pull away. Of course if you pushed in another few hundredths while exerting the effort to pull away; there would be blood. :shocked:

If he "shoved it in" the blade might have cut for 1/2" or so which could take off some real meat. Still a remarkable product. Video was difficult to watch even though I knew there would be no blood.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #23  
I can't breath while watching the video! But I still wouldn't try sticking my finger into the table saw.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #24  
I can't breath while watching the video! But I still wouldn't try sticking my finger into the table saw.

The inventor did and it was impressive. As accidents happen, I wish I had one of these.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #25  
In my opinion, shoving your attached finger in a running table saw equipped with saw stop would be the equivalent of taking a loaded gun and putting it to your head with the safety on and pulling the trigger. After all safeties always work, right? I am not saying the product is not proven, or won't work, or anything like that, I am just saying I ain't going to stick my finger in no running saw blade. Nor do I trust the safety of any firearm, or test the airbags in my automobile by hitting a power pole. Just saying.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #26  
I wouldn't do it either but the guy has huge stones and believes in his invention.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #27  
In my opinion, shoving your attached finger in a running table saw equipped with saw stop would be the equivalent of taking a loaded gun and putting it to your head with the safety on and pulling the trigger.

But he didn't shove it in. He very slowly advanced. Even without a "saw stop" he was moving it so slowly, so carefully he could have withdrawn his finger after losing 1/100th inch of skin. That's probably not how accidents happen.

It was more like very carefully positioning your finger near the side of the barrel, such that the bullet grazes only 1/100th of an inch of skin.

Still kind of exciting, but when you think about it (a little too much) it's not that significant. I think the hotdog test would be more conclusive.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #28  
Must control myself... Getting dangerously close to rant here...

First - allow me to state - I love the technology. It's a fantastic idea and I've followed it for years. It has taken a long time to gain acceptance.

That being said - you can't save people from stupid - but you can apparently sue for it. Reminds me of a story where a guy bought a Ryobi tablesaw, removed the safety features (blade guard, splitter, etc.), cut off a finger and sued Ryobi because it didn't have flesh sensing technology. This on a $200 saw... He won. Ridiculous. Why do we feel the need to hold others accountable for our own stupidity? What's next? Hammers that sense you're about to miss the nail and deploy airbags? Turns a $20 hammer into a $400 hammer that requires $200 air bag replacements every time you miss.

Oh my... I ranted. :( I'm sorry. I'll stop now...

Sean.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #29  
Must control myself... Getting dangerously close to rant here...

First - allow me to state - I love the technology. It's a fantastic idea and I've followed it for years. It has taken a long time to gain acceptance.

That being said - you can't save people from stupid - but you can apparently sue for it. Reminds me of a story where a guy bought a Ryobi tablesaw, removed the safety features (blade guard, splitter, etc.), cut off a finger and sued Ryobi because it didn't have flesh sensing technology. This on a $200 saw... He won. Ridiculous. Why do we feel the need to hold others accountable for our own stupidity? What's next? Hammers that sense you're about to miss the nail and deploy airbags? Turns a $20 hammer into a $400 hammer that requires $200 air bag replacements every time you miss.

Oh my... I ranted. :( I'm sorry. I'll stop now...

Sean.
I agree in principal to you what i think you are alluding to, people not taking responsibility for their actions and leaving it to others to pay for their being irresponsible, but did the ryobi thing really take place? I mean what the heck. I remember a story about hot coffee and suing a fast food joint and being kinda upset about it, then i found out some more information about the incident, and it turned out not being what i believed, the company really was being a jerk about it and was trying run rough shod over this poor woman.

/ Would You Stick Your Finger Into a Table Saw Running at Speed? #30  
Boston Globe - March 6th, 2010 - here is a copy of the article: Man Awarded Money for Tablesaw Accident | The Wood Whisperer

I can't find a reference to "removing the safety guards" in this specific article - so I hope I did not "ad lib" that part... The jist of the lawsuit is still the lack of saw-stop technology on a $200 saw.

Slippery slope - and I apologize if I just sent the thread in a complete tangent. I support that we can make things safer and I support that we should hold manufacturers accountable for poor and dangerous designs. But where does it stop? Where does common sense enter the picture? A hammer shouldn't need a warning label telling you not to smash yourself in the face...

Sean.