X-300 keeps bending Push Rods.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods.
Oh well ....

I drove it back down without much force. A socket and a few gentle hammer taps. With not many other economical (OK cheap) options, I decided to goop around it with JB Weld metal mender and let it set up for a couple of days. Went back at it this morning and put it together. The spring, retainer and keepers weren't as bad as I was expecting. Set the gap/clearance on all four valves. Closed it all up and turned the key.

Surprising it started fairly easily considering it had been setting open to the air for a week or more. Idles better and runs smoother. Ran it around the yard a bit, but didn't tackle the hills. It shut off without spitting and coughing like it had been, then started back up again without trouble and shut off smooth again.

Jury is still out. I'm not sure if I expect the JB Weld to hold or not, but if it doesn't, I may be slightly more inclined to try a head if I can find one for less than a small fortune.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #22  
Oh well ....

I drove it back down without much force. A socket and a few gentle hammer taps. With not many other economical (OK cheap) options, I decided to goop around it with JB Weld metal mender and let it set up for a couple of days. Went back at it this morning and put it together. The spring, retainer and keepers weren't as bad as I was expecting. Set the gap/clearance on all four valves. Closed it all up and turned the key.

Surprising it started fairly easily considering it had been setting open to the air for a week or more. Idles better and runs smoother. Ran it around the yard a bit, but didn't tackle the hills. It shut off without spitting and coughing like it had been, then started back up again without trouble and shut off smooth again.

Jury is still out. I'm not sure if I expect the JB Weld to hold or not, but if it doesn't, I may be slightly more inclined to try a head if I can find one for less than a small fortune.

It's not clear to me where you put the JB. I would be concerned about some of the JB coming loose and getting in the cylinder.

Richard

It's not clear to me where you put the JB.
I can't really find a picture detailed enough to mark up, but basically formed a collar around the valve guide at the point it passes through the head.

I would be concerned about some of the JB coming loose and getting in the cylinder.

I thought about that. But with the age and hours of the engine and my state of mind, about ready to give up on a lot of things, I'm not sure I really care. If it runs, it runs. If it doesn't, well, we'll see how I feel then. Right now, I feel like crap and don't really care about too much of this kind of thing.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #24  
I'm assuming it's on the oil side of the head and not the piston side? Most likely the worst thing that will happen is it starts to come back out again. At least you know what the problem is and can decide what it's worth. It could be worth more as parts if the rear transaxle is working well.

Just inside the OHV cover, accessible by two 10MM bolts from the outside of the engine, so I'll guess that's what you mean by 'oil side'. Ran it another hour or so today, total of about five hours since the 'repair'. Still running smooth and strong.

K46 is NOT all that healthy, so probably not worth much, unless for parts and I'm pretty sure there's a slew of those out there. Tires are shot. Deck is functional, but not in great shape. Hood is intact, but has that trademarked crack at the top.

Put close to another hour on it mowing today after changing the battery. Still running smooth.

Sat for quite a while, started only for moving from place to place. Gave it some work today blowing leaves around. Ran for about a half hour or so, smooth and strong. Not ready to claim victory yet, but at least it hasn't failed again.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #29  
tks for the update. Keep keepin on...

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #30  
I n the automotive world, there were heads that dropped the valve seats. We would put the seats back in and use a center punch in the AL head to force the press fit again. Might be an option for you if you have to re-fix it. There are some GM heads out there that the valve stem guides go thru the water jacket so the corrode and come loose. Those can be fixed with hi temp Loctite type products. Next time, I would pull it all the way out, then use green Loctite and press in. Should never move again.