X-300 keeps bending Push Rods.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #31  
Sat for quite a while, started only for moving from place to place. Gave it some work today blowing leaves around. Ran for about a half hour or so, smooth and strong. Not ready to claim victory yet, but at least it hasn't failed again.
If it happens again, nick the overexposed part of the guide a little with a knife file in many places. Then apply a HT green Loctite to it and drive it back proper. Get the head warm with a heater for about a day to ensure it has cured before use. Hopefully the cam hasnt been worn too much fighting that valve guide.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods.
I tried the punch/detent bit. Due to the shape of it all and my angle of attack, I couldn't get a good shot at it. I'm not mech-i-nickle enough to pull it all apart to do it any other way.

Been running OK for a few more engine hours. Today it started acting up, but I don't think it's the same thing. Acts like a fuel issue.

Will run for a while, then bog down and try to stall. Going to full choke it will run better, but not well. Possibly bad fuel .... emptied a can that I filled last Fall into it earlier. Shut it off, added a cocktail of Seafoam, MMO and water remover to the tank and let it set for an hour. Started fine then and ran for 15 minutes, then bogged again. I'm thinking fuel filter because I can't remember when it was changed last. I think I have one stashed away I can try tomorrow.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #34  
Or the fuel tank is not venting.. just a thought.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #36  
Debris in the pick up tube in the fuel tank?

Yesterday: Started easily, ran fine. Mowed for close to 2/10s on the hour meter with no problems, then it started bogging and stalling. Limped it back to the shed and parked it.

Today: Planned on pulling the gas line and changing the filter, but didn't feel like draining the tank knowing it was over half full. Figured I'd run it for a while to burn some off then deal with it another day. Started fine and ran strong. Mowed for most of an hour without a single cough or sputter. If it was bad gas or debris, it must have cleared, at least for now.

Like I said above, it was old corn juice gas I got last fall, so who knows what it might have turned into. Planning on getting 10 gallons of real gas in the next few days.

Oh well ....

I drove it back down without much force. A socket and a few gentle hammer taps. With not many other economical (OK cheap) options, I decided to goop around it with JB Weld metal mender and let it set up for a couple of days. Went back at it this morning and put it together. The spring, retainer and keepers weren't as bad as I was expecting. Set the gap/clearance on all four valves. Closed it all up and turned the key.

Surprising it started fairly easily considering it had been setting open to the air for a week or more. Idles better and runs smoother. Ran it around the yard a bit, but didn't tackle the hills. It shut off without spitting and coughing like it had been, then started back up again without trouble and shut off smooth again.

Jury is still out. I'm not sure if I expect the JB Weld to hold or not, but if it doesn't, I may be slightly more inclined to try a head if I can find one for less than a small fortune.
Four and a half years later, still starts easy and runs smooth.

/ X-300 keeps bending Push Rods. #39