Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #1  

Berdo

Tractor
Yanmar 155D
Again, we inherited this tractor. I never owned one before, and I’m not tractor-savvy. I was told the PO had flipped the tractor over on its right side some time ago. The PO rarely drove it. When I drove it, the RF wheel would go straight for a little while, then start hunting. The LF kept true, but the RF would kinda wander, badly, like probably 25 degrees, from the LF tire. Directional control was very difficult. Both L and R kingpins appear okay. Steering linkage is okay. Steering gearbox is okay. I separated the RF tie rod from the attachment, and then moved the RF tire through its entire L - R travel. I could feel an area of loose travel. No weird sounds or grinding. I’m afraid something inside of the front axle assembly is broken, or sheared, but I’m not sure. And I’m kind nervous about dismantling the whole assembly to go exploring. I’ve gotten the assembly somewhat apart, but am afraid to go much further until I gain bit of insight and confidence. Any thoughts?

(Photo shows assembly I’m trying to describe, except ours is the right side)

Attachments

• IMG_0431.jpeg
    IMG_0431.jpeg
    729.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
   / Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #2  
Again, we inherited this tractor. I never owned one before, and I’m not tractor-savvy. I was told the PO had flipped the tractor over on its right side some time ago. The PO rarely drove it. When I drove it, the RF wheel would go straight for a little while, then start hunting. The LF kept true, but the RF would kinda wander, badly, like probably 25 degrees, from the LF tire. Directional control was very difficult. Both L and R kingpins appear okay. Steering linkage is okay. Steering gearbox is okay. I separated the RF tie rod from the attachment, and then moved the RF tire through its entire L - R travel. I could feel an area of loose travel. No weird sounds or grinding. I’m afraid something inside of the front axle assembly is broken, or sheared, but I’m not sure. And I’m kind nervous about dismantling the whole assembly to go exploring. I’ve gotten the assembly somewhat apart, but am afraid to go much further until I gain bit of insight and confidence. Any thoughts?

sooo, you are saying this then. ;)

IMG_0431.jpeg

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #3  

So how far have you gotten the assembly apart? Have you pulled the knuckle arm off? When you have the front wheel off the ground how much can you pull it in/out? Is it leaking oil?

There are a few videos on YouTube on 4wd tractor front knuckle disassembly to help you get the lay of land, so to speak...I think "Marty T" did one awhile back. Not a Yanmar, but similar design.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #5  
I was told the PO had flipped the tractor over on its right side some time ago. ... the RF would kinda wander, badly, like probably 25 degrees
I don't understand how the wheel can wobble that far when the tie rod is intact. Anybody have an explanation?

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #6  
My guess is the item labeled knuckle arm (L) is loose on the spindle (or whatever part it's attached to) as in a sheared key, damaged splines, etc. Whatever locates in place.

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #7  
My guess is the item labeled knuckle arm (L) is loose on the spindle (or whatever part it's attached to) as in a sheared key, damaged splines, etc. Whatever locates in place.
That makes more sense than massive internal damage. And would be far simpler to remedy.

Weld it back together! ;) :eek:

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #8  
If it’s already broke how much worse can you make it
There is so much information online
And e books available buy one read up on it and tear it apart
A good mechanic never says can’t
Just bad engineers

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly
So how far have you gotten the assembly apart? Have you pulled the knuckle arm off? When you have the front wheel off the ground how much can you pull it in/out? Is it leaking oil?

There are a few videos on YouTube on 4wd tractor front knuckle disassembly to help you get the lay of land, so to speak...I think "Marty T" did one awhile back. Not a Yanmar, but similar design.

All the best,

Peter
The assembly is off the axle. I have not yet split the knuckle (I think that means to separate the upper and lower half?). When off the ground, the wheel did not slide in or out at all. No oil leaks. With the tie rod disconnected, the steering wheel and left assembly operate smoothly. I’ll give the video a look. Thank you for your reply.