Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly
I don't understand how the wheel can wobble that far when the tie rod is intact. Anybody have an explanation?
I agree. It doesn’t make sense. I see no trauma to any of the steering linkage or kingpin, which appears secure.

My guess is the item labeled knuckle arm (L) is loose on the spindle (or whatever part it's attached to) as in a sheared key, damaged splines, etc. Whatever locates in place.
I wish and hope it ends up being that simple. Unfortunately, it appears the knuckle is secure on its spindle. So far, from what I can see inside of the assembly, there are no damaged gears, or splines, shards, etc. But, as Ponytug referenced, I’ve not yet separated the upper and lower halves.

If it’s already broke how much worse can you make it
There is so much information online
And e books available buy one read up on it and tear it apart
A good mechanic never says can’t
Just bad engineers
I’m not a mechanic or an engineer. I’m in big trouble 😳

I have been researching online, but no direct hits. I got a service manual from Hoye Tractor, but it seems very general.

I‘ll probably end up diving in the rest of the way. Like you say, it’s already broken. What else could possibly go wrong? Ha. I think you all are going to find my experimentation very entertaining.

That makes more sense than massive internal damage. And would be far simpler to remedy.

Weld it back together! ;) :eek:
I’m probably better with a cutting torch. For the sake of this tractor, I hope I can get it fixed.

So how far have you gotten the assembly apart? Have you pulled the knuckle arm off? When you have the front wheel off the ground how much can you pull it in/out? Is it leaking oil?

There are a few videos on YouTube on 4wd tractor front knuckle disassembly to help you get the lay of land, so to speak...I think "Marty T" did one awhile back. Not a Yanmar, but similar design.

All the best,

Peter
So, I watched some YouTube disassembly and reassembly videos (stumbled upon a cute, jiggly girl giving narratives while driving her own tractor along bumpy trails). Back to task, I split the assembly. Damned if all doesn’t look just fine. All gears and bearings look just fine. Key was in place. No metal or other wreckage anywhere within the assembly. I’m stumped, and think I’ve made a mechanical mountain out of a molehill. I’m awaiting gaskets and seals from Hoye Tractor (they’ve been awesome), and will piece it all together and see what happens. Then start anew.

The photo below was taken for fun shortly after we took possession of, but before I started working on, the tractor. In it, I think you can almost see the RF tire skews outward. I thought it was just an alignment problem, so I adjusted the tie rod end accordingly, until straight. No good. When I took it for a test drive, the RF wheel went crooked again. Worse than in this photo.

Attachments

• IMG_3134.jpeg
    IMG_3134.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
Last edited:
   / Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #17  
I'm not buying that. If the steering wouldn't hold on that side to the point where the tire and wheel would turn left and right while the steering wheel and tire on the other side had integrity, then something's wrong. You just haven't found it yet.

/ Yanmar 155D Right Front Axle Assembly #18  
did you lift
Front end off the ground and try moving stuff around with a bar safety first of course jacksrands are mechanics friend or a huge flat log 😉🚜

I'm not buying that. If the steering wouldn't hold on that side to the point where the tire and wheel would turn left and right while the steering wheel and tire on the other side had integrity, then something's wrong. You just haven't found it yet.
I completely agree. Yet after I isolated/disconnected the RF assembly from the tie rod, there was still a loose area of travel. I don’t know what else it could be, which is why I investigated the RF assembly in the first place. It’s probably something very simple that I’ve overlooked - although there’s not a lot that I can think of that could cause such a problem, especially when the assembly is isolated.

Last edited:
did you lift
Front end off the ground and try moving stuff around with a bar safety first of course jacksrands are mechanics friend or a huge flat log 😉🚜
Yes. All of the linkages and connectors look secure.