Yanmar Super Expensive?

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #11  
Did the Yanmar have the front PTO option in the quote?

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #12  
Glad I saw this post BEFORE Thursday... stopped at a new Yanmar dealer who said their YT347C was in the $44-48k range. Knowing the above I didn't have a Cousin Eddie moment (YouTube - Cousin Eddie - Funny).

Mentioned LS XR series would only be in the high 20's and thought they'd have a tough go selling new-to-the-area Yanmars at green and orange prices. He had never heard of LS and thought bottom dollar might be around $38k on the Yanmar. It is by far the most sporty looking cab tractor I've seen and was quality construction, better loader height than LS too... if we weren't both on lunch would have enjoyed trying iHMT and putting through paces.

Last edited:
   / Yanmar Super Expensive?
I think ya'all are overlooking the fact the Yanmar has the I-HMT transmission, you're not going to find that on the other brands.

I am not yet sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. To be honest I don't really understand it. Obviously Yanmar sells it as a positive. One person compared it to a CVT, which is the last thing I would want in a tractor.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #16  
I am not yet sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. To be honest I don't really understand it. Obviously Yanmar sells it as a positive. One person compared it to a CVT, which is the last thing I would want in a tractor.
CaseIH, Agco and Deere have been running CVT transmissions in 300+ HP tractors for years. They are efficient and easy to use.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #17  
CaseIH, Agco and Deere have been running CVT transmissions in 300+ HP tractors for years. They are efficient and easy to use.

Please pardon in advance the ignorance of my question (not disagreeing), but is the CVT equally user-friendly/efficient in the smaller tractors and their associated mixed uses -- e.g. skidding logs, handling heavy loads like hay bales with the FEL, and tilling a garden perhaps all in the same afternoon -- vs. working 100+ acres of wide open farmland at a constant velocity?

When I shopped Case tractors CVTs were advertised well, kind of like iHMT in these newer Yanmars, but never explained from an operator's perspective. The salesman also said they were great and used in big ag, but couldn't explain the functional, efficiency, or other benefits in a meaningful way such as not having to shift as often, 15% more PTO HP, decreased maintenance costs, etc. There seems to be a big gap between engineering and marketing...

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #18  
What's iHMT?

As for price, seems to me that premium price only makes sense for an application where the buyer knows that tractors he previously bought didn't stand up to his severe application so it's cost effective to step up to something tougher.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #19  
Please pardon in advance the ignorance of my question (not disagreeing), but is the CVT equally user-friendly/efficient in the smaller tractors and their associated mixed uses -- e.g. skidding logs, handling heavy loads like hay bales with the FEL, and tilling a garden perhaps all in the same afternoon -- vs. working 100+ acres of wide open farmland at a constant velocity?

When I shopped Case tractors CVTs were advertised well, kind of like iHMT in these newer Yanmars, but never explained from an operator's perspective. The salesman also said they were great and used in big ag, but couldn't explain the functional, efficiency, or other benefits in a meaningful way such as not having to shift as often, 15% more PTO HP, decreased maintenance costs, etc. There seems to be a big gap between engineering and marketing...

That is an excellent question. It seems like most people in that class of compact tractor are perfectly happy with their hydros. Time will tell if the added cost for the iHMT is worth it for Yanmar in terms of sales.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #20  
I have a CCY which I really enjoy, flawless so far. I think 3years now and over 200 hours. With that said and while it is a great machine I would never buy another if the price is out of whack as it sounds they are. To me most of the compact owners are regular homeowners buying these as a weekend helper. We are not farmers or making a living from owning a tractor so it makes it difficult in my opinion to pay out the ying yang for a tractor if you can have another brand for almost 1/2 the price.
I know it may not be apples to apples but the manufacturer needs to keep this in mind or they will price themselves out as it sounds yanmar may have already.
Just my 2 little cents worth.