Yanmar Super Expensive?

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #21  
I don't think the price of the new Yanmar YT series is out of whack. If you check the specs, these are high feature tractors that compete directly with the Kubota Grand L series and the higher end JD's. The prices of the new Yanmar's are either similar or slightly lower.

The YT347C competes directly with the Kubota Grand L4760 and one could argue that it's a superior machine at the same or lower price point. The YT has all the same features as the Grand L and the integrated hydro mechanical transmission (iHMT) is more efficient, just as user friendly, and is more serviceable. It has also been in use for the past eight years in Japan prior to being introduced to the American market, so it has a good track record.

Of note, the YT359 is only about $2k more expensive than the YT347 which is a lot of extra hp for the money. The Yanmar uses a larger displacement engine to achieve its hp rather than using a turbo on a smaller engine. The YT has a higher loader capacity than the Kubota's and also comes with two rear remotes standard with extendable link arms.

Also, compare the new YT235 to the Kubota standard L series. It's way nicer and is at a similar price point.

Yanmar has 100 years experience building Diesel engines and supplies JD with many, if not most, of their engines for their CUT's. In 1992, Yanmar built its 10 millionth Diesel engine. These guys know what they're doing.

Yanmar is back on the scene in a big way and they have an excellent product line that's as good or better than anything out there. What they really need to do is work on their marketing program to get the word out.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #22  
Can't seem to find pricing and would NOT pay more for a Yanmar since I have NO basis for comparing or dealer support.

These guys better get real. They are the "new kid on the block, over here." If they donlt and want premium prices, I predict abject failure in the U.S.A. Same for everything ... when you;re NEW, you give a good deal to get some product out there. When the reviews catch up with the big players. you might want to bumo it a bit, but NOT right up to the top brands, or you will just fail. You have to be near or AT the top for awhile before you can charge what Deere ot other top brands are charging!

Hey Yanmar! Wake up! You ainlt selling in the orient, you;re trying to sell HERE, and you;re the NEW guys. All the Yanmars I have seen to date have been gray-market tractors, with a decent reputation, but NO apparent support. No support means no purchase for most of us, and gray-market brand reviews are seen against one another, not against the established brands. You need to be priced less than the LS, who have been here LONGER and have more dealers around with better apparent support.

What are you thinking? Want to make a adent? Get some tractor OUT THERE with great deals and some independent, top-notch reviews over several years. Maybe THEN you can charge as much as the others, but not MORE!

Not very bright, are they?

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #23  
What are you thinking? ... Not very bright, are they?
You're ignorant of Yanmar's history in the US. They arrived in the US about the same time as Kubota and were neck and neck competitors for a few years. They established a reputation as good as the top traditional brands, Deere, etc.

Deere saw this new competitor was building quality they could only match, not exceed. So ... Deere contracted Yanmar to build all the under 50 hp Deere models for Deere, for some 20 years. This history of the Yanmar/Deeres and the original US Yanmars, plus the other Yanmar-powered equipment sold here, established a reputation for quality that is anything but 'new kid' for knowledgeable buyers.

Price? Yes, Yanmar is asking premium prices for premium quality equipment. They aren't going for the mass-market customer competing with Mahindra etc.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #24  
Hold on there Greg, engage your google before engaging your mouth:D
images-1.jpgimgres-1.jpgimgres-2.jpgYanmar-C50R-3B-2008.jpg

I bought a brand new from the dealer Yanmar tractor in about 1986!
They do need to work on their dealer network & marketing.

Attachments

• imgres.jpg
    imgres.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 200
   / Yanmar Super Expensive? #25  
You're ignorant of Yanmar's history in the US. They arrived in the US about the same time as Kubota and were neck and neck competitors for a few years. They established a reputation as good as the top traditional brands, Deere, etc.

Deere saw this new competitor was building quality they could only match, not exceed. So ... Deere contracted Yanmar to build all the under 50 hp Deere models for Deere, for some 20 years. This history of the Yanmar/Deeres and the original US Yanmars, plus the other Yanmar-powered equipment sold here, established a reputation for quality that is anything but 'new kid' for knowledgeable buyers.

Price? Yes, Yanmar is asking premium prices for premium quality equipment. They aren't going for the mass-market customer competing with Mahindra etc.
I believe you nailed it. :thumbsup:

I would consider a Yanmar YT359, if...........there was a dealer in my area. So it's still Kubota for me, which I have been well pleased with for 19 years. But I never automatically rule out the competition when contemplating a new tractor.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #26  
I have some background in the marine industry and Yanmar is one of the largest, if not the largest, supplier of marine diesel engines in the world. They have a reputation for being bullet proof to mariners who's lives depend on the reliability of their engines. If you're caught in a storm at sea with no engine you could die. Here's a quote from the Cruisers Forum:

"we just sailed around the world with a Yanmar 4jh4 that now has over 7000 hours on it. Never been seen by a mechanic. Change oil and filters often. That's all. Starts in a second. Runs beautifully"

If John Deere trusts Yanmar enough to build their engines and tractors for them, and men at sea trust their lives with Yanmar engines then that's plenty good enough for me. I would be proud to own a piece of equipment made by a company with a 100 year history of building quality engines and agricultural equipment.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #27  
And the farm equipment isn't even Yanmar's principal line. I've read that the owner (private corporation) wanted to extend the quality of his marine engines to the agricultural sector because he admires farmers for feeding the world, and he thought they would appreciate a line of top-quality products to make them more productive. Yanmar makes a lot of specialty machines such as rice planters as well as the construction equipment and tractors we see here. The guy sounds like sort of an Elon Musk (Tesla) visionary.

I can't speak for Yanmar's current products but my two early 80's US Yanmars simply run like new despite thrashed appearance showing neglect by previous owners. Zero oil consumption, no oil leaks, etc. A third one I sold looked even rougher but it dyno-tested exceeding its 1980 brochure spec.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #28  
Regarding when they got here and their performace, it doesn't matter. Look at the participation in here versus Kubota, Deere, and other big player forums. When I SEE a tractor dealer, it is almost never Yanmar.

I'd think of Yanmar if I wanted a deisel engine for a Marine application, even a turbo, but their inroad into tractors is NOT impressive, at least to me. In my mind, that equates to not many dealers.

Let's see 2 in eastern WA. None in Montana, Wyoming, or New Mexico. None in Nevada, none in Iowa. None in Arkansas, Pennsylvania, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine. None on North Dakota. None in Arkansas.

Biggest inroads seem to be east coast. That does not impress me with dealer support. Might BE a great tractor and, given their reputation in the Marine engine world, I am automatically prejudiced toward a good opinion of their engines. But their tractors will have to be a great deal for me to even consider them as an option.

Opinions vary. I THINK they're a good tractor. But try finding one when you look for a tractor dealer in a LOT of places. Good luck. So, I'd need a VERY good price to go Yanmar, if only from perceived lack of dealer support and unknown parts availability as well as warranty reputation ... in the tractor world. In the Marine engine world, they're solid, but I don't see a prop on the back of a Yanmar tractor and I doubt the Marine dealers (numerous) will support one.

Not saying they aren't deserving of top ranking at all.

Rather, I'm saying, "I don't KNOW, and therefore need a reason to even LOOK at them. That reason would be a good price break over the established brands and, of course, a dealer with inventory somewhere near, who has been there awhile and is likely to survive."

I'm currently in the L.A. area. Never SEEN a Yanmar tractor here. Thinking of up around Spokane or Idaho. I have never seen one there, either, though there ARE a couple of dealers around. Lived in Tennessee. 2 dealers now, none when I was there, years ago.

So, you all get the point. If YOU pay a premium price for a Yanmar, that's dandy and OK. I'd need a good reason and don't see it. That said, I have nothing bad to say about a Yanmar, mostly because I've never seen one in person. The ONLY one I see is on a YouTube channel (Wrangerstar) and seems solid enough, but the difficulties HE had in just getting hydraulic couplings made me laugh. If you are in the compact tractor market as a vendor, use local standard hardware and couplings! Preferably, ones WE can get locally. Apparently, that wasn't the case in Oregon, for Cody. He DID get them, but it took several trips, including people who said thety knew, and they had it in stock! Wrong ...

So, price and implement deals would be the carrots. And they aren't, as far as I can tell.

Hope all you Yanmar owners out there get great service and little trouble. I'd even expect the little trouble part. But I don't want one until I can see it working in person and see it continuing to get dealer support.

The US market is NOT easy for newcomers when there are established players already.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #29  
I saw Wranglerstar's video as well and it was my understanding that the issue he had was a non standard hydraulic coupling provided by an implement manufacturer, not the Yanmar tractor?

I will have to watch his series of videos again to confirm, but it's Sunday morning and I need to brew some coffee and get some work done on the farm.

/ Yanmar Super Expensive? #30  
Don't know what you mean by "none in Pennsylvania"....look again, there are a number of Yanmar dealers in Pa and NY.. I know, I have visited many there. ( and just purchased a YT235.)