You getting ready for 2023?

/ You getting ready for 2023? #31  
Delivered some first cutting hay this past weekend.

If we don’t get some rain soon, first cutting might be last cutting.

IMG_5166.JPG

/ You getting ready for 2023?
Yeah we haven’t had rain here for over 30 days. It almost downpoured about 7pm, but just a 3 minute rain.

Getting some bales stacked and starting to get some inventory.

1686138826471.jpeg

Nice thing about the Challenger is it can stack 4 bales high.

1686138850099.jpeg

I made some 4x4x5 bales for customers with Hay Huts and stuck them in a run in shed here

1686138955554.jpeg

Last edited:
   / You getting ready for 2023? #34  
They keep calling for "chance of pop-up showers" here, which if you get one it may dump an inch of rain in 20 minutes and sometimes even hail. The sky has clouded up, the temp has dropped 10 degrees, the wind started to blow, it got dark, stayed that way for 30 minutes, and then blown through about 5-6 times, but no actual rain yet in the past few weeks. I did manage to get about 2/3 of the fields cut and round baled though, ran into an issue with the net wrapper on the baler so I didn't get all of it done the first go-round. I'll do small squares second cutting, that doesn't take nearly the amount of hay.

/ You getting ready for 2023? #35  
So this year has been exceptionally great for water. I did not water one time, yet I have the best crop I've ever had. Hopefully it'll stay dry long enough to get it dried and baled.

IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1701.JPG
IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG
IMG_1706.JPG

We also have all the water one could wish for.
May was a drought.
First 1/2 of June was “normal”
Since the first day of summer, it has rained or come close to rain about every other day.
Rain forecasted almost every day for the first 1/2 of July.

Tough to make good hay round here. Heck, it’s tough to make crap hay around here, too!

/ You getting ready for 2023? #37  
Tough to make good hay round here. Heck, it’s tough to make crap hay around here, too!

Making crap hay is easy, just bale whatever trash is growing in a field in late August or September after doing absolutely nothing to that field except for letting cattle graze it or combining it for fescue seed. Weather is not really a problem, the hay will eventually dry enough to bale if it's rained on if it's just left out long enough. What's hard is making enough of that crap hay to keep the cattle alive through the winter unless the weather was perfect over the summer, as the ones making crap hay are usually pretty aggressive with their stocking rates too.