You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,681  
I feel older cuz I remember being taught how to and actually using a library card filing catalog to find books before digital catalogs. I also kind of remember what isbn #s were. Do folks even go to libraries anymore for books not to just use the libraries computers and Internet?

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,682  
I feel older cuz I remember being taught how to and actually using a library card filing catalog to find books before digital catalogs. I also kind of remember what isbn #s were. Do folks even go to libraries anymore for books not to just use the libraries computers and Internet?
Our adult kids still go to the libraries to study sometimes, but mostly for the book sales. They both collect books, and it's an ongoing fundraiser for the library. They take their own computers.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,683  
Forgot, they and my wife also have E-library cards and check out digital books pretty often.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,686  
Our oldest was renting one side of a duplex in PA for several years. Her furnace was in her garage on the lowest level. If she opened her garage door on a windy day, the pilot light would go out. It happened so often that she got tired of calling the landlord and asked me to talk her through it over the phone so she could do it herself. So, I had her take a couple pictures and send it to me, then put me on speaker phone and I told her how to do it. She did well and never had to call the landlord again.

Similarly, her battery died in her Subaru. I talked her through the removal process with a few pictures and she got it out and took it to Autozone for testing. It was bad. She bought a new one and put it back in herself.

I showed her how to change a tire. She changed them about 4-5 times over the years. Either PA has really bad roads, or she's smacking curbs! :ROFLMAO:

Her last flat, she was dropping some paperwork off at a government office and when she came out, she had a flat. She jacked up the car, removed the tire, didn't notice she was on a hill, and the car rolled a bit and fell off the jack. She was not injured, but was not sure what to do at that point. She noticed the police station next to the government office, walked over and asked if they could recommend a tow truck. They walked her over to the fire department next door, and boy, 4 firemen hopped in their truck, drove over to her car and used her situation for a "training exercise" to deploy their air lift bags and change her tire for her. (helps she's cute)

I asked if she was OK with that blatant display of testosterone and she said "Heck yeah!" :ROFLMAO:
Willingness or desire is half the battle...

As to firefighters I'm embarrassed to say but the female hospital staff love firefighters and a few even ogle.

My the 8 year old niece was very inquisitive and asked what the jack under the flip seat in her family's Durango was for

We took it out and I showed her the Jack can lift the car enough to change a tire...

She said can't you call someone and I replied maybe no cell service or you are too far away and she said oh... so you don't need to call anyone if you can do it yourself.

Not a month later she and her younger sisters were with mom and got a flat and no cell service deep in a box canyon... her mom said maybe someone come along and help us... the 9 year old said don't worry momma, we can do it... uncle showed me... they changed the tire with the hardest part being breaking loose the lug nuts... the 9 year old couldn't by herself but with her mom together they did.

Long story but I think changing the tire instilled so much confidence in that 9 year old it was life changing...

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,687  
<snip

I've also spent a lot of years driving thru NJ, and they're at the opposite end of the spectrum, with regard to road construction and quality. No wonder their property taxes are 4x - 6x what we pay! :oops:
Those bad roads are beginning to sound kind of appealing. :)

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,688  
Sometimes I wonder how many of those card catalog units were turned into parts drawers.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,689  
...Long story but I think changing the tire instilled so much confidence in that 9 year old it was life changing...
Absolutely! (y)

Our daughter has trouble with breaking the lug nuts free. She figured out how to use her foot and body weight on her own.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,690  
Absolutely! (y)

Our daughter has trouble with breaking the lug nuts free. She figured out how to use her foot and body weight on her own.
Get her a Milwaukee impact wrench.