You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,691  
Speaking of roads-

Drove back to STL from Florida yesterday. 1002 miles.

Took 18 hours from 6am Eastern time to 11pm Central time.

Trip is almost 100% interstate.

But - Atlanta is an absolute disaster. There must be 1 trillion people living in that city all with cars!

Nashville is a close 2nd - except fewer cars and 20x more semi trucks.

Next year we are getting a car permanently in Florida and flying!

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,692  
Speaking of roads-

But - Atlanta is an absolute disaster. There must be 1 trillion people living in that city all with cars!

My son used to live in Atlanta. The traffic makes it a good place to stay away from.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,694  
Speaking of roads-

We used to take the bypass around Atlanta. That doesn't work anymore. So our best bet is to try and plan passing straight through after midnight.

Same thing applies to Chicago. When we go to St. Louis from here, we go down through Indy in the morning to skip Chicago. It's about 35 miles longer, but always about 45 minutes faster. When we come home, on the other hand, we'd be heading through Chicago around 10-11 at night. So we always come back through Chicago.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,695  
My mother and husband have been doing the split residence thing for about 20 years now, half the year in Florida and half the year in the Philly 'burbs. After trying driving and the auto train, eventually realized that just shipping one of their cars back and forth was easiest. There are a whole host of small operations operating private car haulers, servicing all these retired snow birds every spring and fall. The ones they use tend to haul just 1 - 3 cars at a time, and I think the cost a few years back was only several hundred dollars, Naples FL to above Philadelphia PA. Fully insured, etc.

It helps if you can keep one car in each location and ship the third back and forth, such that you're not without car for the day or two where pickkup/dropoff doesn't align with your flight, but many manage around that inconvenience without the expense of three cars.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,696  
You know you are old when someone asks you what a little
Speaking of roads-

My in-laws just drove up here from Melbourne, FL 2 weeks ago. They are in their late 70-early 80’s age. They always used to fly.

Priceless listening to them tell us about the “best economy ev-er” while complaining that the cost to fly is so great, they had to drive.

Then while visiting other friends in the area, their car blew a tire (dry rotted sidewall-lucky nobody was hurt), so they had to put a set of tires on their Honda Accord. Then she complained about the price of tires.

Can’t make this stuff up!

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,697  
She's old school.

She was home last week and asked me to show her how the tub and sink drains in the house work. :oops:

Who is this kid? :ROFLMAO:
What does that have to do with taking lug nuts off?

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,699  
Sometimes I wonder how many of those card catalog units were turned into parts drawers.
Not a library card catalog, but I have a similar unit that came from a mom & pop pharmacy that closed in the 90s. Not sure what they used it for, probably prescription records. Parts/hardware drawers now.

/ You Know You Are Old When
#1,700  
It helps if you can keep one car in each location and ship the third back and forth, such that you're not without car for the day or two where pickkup/dropoff doesn't align with your flight, but many manage around that inconvenience without the expense of three cars.

We can pretty easily live with only one car in Fla. Most of the stuff we do and places we go can be accessed by golf cart or bicycle (tennis, golf, bike trails, restaurants, friends).

I worry that leaving a car in Fla. (in the garage) for 5 months will not be great for the car. I would remove the battery and put in air conditioned space.

What else would you do?