You Know You Are Old When

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,811  
Ok. I had to Google basin wrench. So that’s what that thing is. 😄
View attachment 860190
Yep. I found a couple in my dad's tools after he passed. Didn't know what they were for.
Lost them.
Needed them.
Bought one.
Used it.
Lost it.
Needed one.
Bought one.
Used it.
Lost it.
Needed one.
Bought one.
Found at least 3 in my garage.
🤣

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,812  
Ok. I had to Google basin wrench. So that’s what that thing is. 😄
View attachment 860190
Yup, I need one in Florida and have one up north. Idiot plumber must've swapped the lines in the guest bath. Oh well, make note to bring it down next year. Ya right, like I'll remember that 🤣

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,813  
Quick poll...

How many basin wrenches have you purchased in your lifetime?

Me - 3.
One, that I can remember.
Just thinking about working on my back, squeezed beneath a sink, with my head against a wall makes my neck hurt.

Last edited:
   / You Know You Are Old When #1,814  
Maybe you are old when you call the bathroom sink a basin?

I asked my kids (24 and 26) what a basin was. Both said a depression in the Earth - like the Amazon Basin.

I asked what the thingy in the bathroom was where they brushed their teeth?

Both said “it’s a sink Dad” and rolled their eyes.
My mother got angry when I called it a sink. She said it was a "lavatory". My mother was suffering from Alzheimer's at the time and got angry at nearly everything.

/ You Know You Are Old When #1,815  
Quick poll...

How many basin wrenches have you purchased in your lifetime?

Me - 3.
Zero. Inherited one from grandpa's plumbing business, inherited the other from dad. Both still working and complete with all extra pawls, although grandpa's is badly worn, being used in a professional setting many years.

I've sorted all seldom-used tools like that into a fleet of about fifty 16" x 24" Akro Mills stackable bins, of various heights. One for pipe wrenches, another for pipe and tubing cutters, another for tubing benders, etc. Stuff used in the shop is stacked against one wall on the second floor of the shop. Stuff only ever used in the house (eg. painting and drywall tools) is stacked against one wall in the basement. All labeled, all organized for easy location, the only PITA is unstacking and restacking.