You now have a right to repair your tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / You now have a right to repair your tractor #2  
Thats good news, I just need to find the patience and skills to become proficient beyond use of hammers and vice grips

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #3  
Good. Maybe this means that people will start coming up with emissions deletes as they should have access to the computers software, and cracking them.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor
We Can't Let John Deere Destroy the Very Idea of Ownership | WIRED

It’s official: John Deere and General Motors want to eviscerate the notion of ownership. Sure, we pay for their vehicles. But we don’t own them. Not according to their corporate lawyers, anyway.

In a particularly spectacular display of corporate delusion, John Deere—the world's largest agricultural machinery maker —told the Copyright Office that farmers don’t own their tractors. Because computer code snakes through the DNA of modern tractors, farmers receive “an implied license for the life of the vehicle to operate the vehicle.”

It’s John Deere’s tractor, folks. You’re just driving it.

Some other news articles:

A right to repair: why Nebraska farmers are taking on John Deere and Apple | Environment | The Guardian

John Deere's Digital Transformation Runs Afoul Of Right-To-Repair Movement

Bruce

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #5  
I think ..like cars today..tractors have become much more reliable and are able to run for decades is properly cared for..This is a double edge sword for manufacturers... While their products quality has great,y increased ..in large part due to competition... The trade cycle is getting longer, as people have little need to buy new equipment because the ones they own now are just fine. ..This leads mfrs to look at other revenue streams.. And trying to own the maintence end of it was a natural money grab for them.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #6  
This sort of scam has been in the mining environment for the last 15 years. It's called a partnership maintenance agreement. A 30 million dollar shovel would go down with some electrical issue. An hour later a service technician might show up. Our in house electricians were not allowed to touch it. What sort of partnership is that???? I loathed that agreement.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #7  
Eventually, after you play your favorite CD about 30 times, it will go up in smoke like the taped instructions in "Mission Impossible".

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #8  
To be honest, this is one of the things that was high on my list of reasons NOT to go JD.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #9  
To be honest, this is one of the things that was high on my list of reasons NOT to go JD.

You and I, both.
The way I look at it is that if I buy it, I own it and can do whatever I want with it as long as I don't destroy other people or their property.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #10  
Good. Maybe this means that people will start coming up with emissions deletes as they should have access to the computers software, and cracking them.

As I understand it's a provision to repair not delete/remove required equipment. Additionally there's no required support, you just won't get nailed with the DMCA laws if you crack open DRM to repair back to previous functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.