You now have a right to repair your tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / You now have a right to repair your tractor #21  
Cool, you planning on setting fire to your house as well? Since obviously if the Lord sees fit he'll find a way to keep your house from burning down.

I mean the data is right there for you to take a look at, no need to be a far-left scientist to understand it: Air pollution causes ‘huge’ reduction in intelligence, study reveals | Environment | The Guardian

I'd rather be a good steward of what we've been given but that's just my 2c.

No, the Bible tells us not to temp God.

I'd rather just blow some smoke in a hippies face and dare them to do something about it as opposed to reading the BS that you subscribe to. I'm not Al Gore and don't believe that MBP is real.

Basically this thread is talking about OEM manufacturers being required to make it where non-OEM sources can access the computers on the tractors to repair them when needed. Or at least that's what I'd assume this thread was started for as that's how tractor manufactures were blocking outside repairs. I mean I hope y'all aren't stupid enough to believe that "JD" is planning to prosecute or sue someone for fixing a flat tire or replacing a tie-rod end without taking these repairs to a JD dealership? The 2 main reasons to want access to a modern tractor computers is A) to make a repair that requires access to the computer, and B) to delete the emissions. You can throw tuning it to make more power in there as well if you'd like to. Point being is if you don't want to have religion pushed on you then keep your left-wing, Grandmother Willow beliefs to yourself . It gets really old when deleting emissions comes up in threads that's relevant to that topic to then having to read a few tree huggers from a few highly liberal states try and push their ******* views on everyone and disrupt the topic. This isn't Captain Planet. It's not like the people who want to get rid of the emissions on their tractors are just some villains trying to make pollution in hopes to destroying the planet. We have much better reasoning behind it.

Basically most healthy motors enjoy being able to breathe well. (kind of the same with people) But a high compression, turbo-diesel running some heavy PSI's especially likes to breathe. Losing their emissions systems improves everything about them from a performance and reliability standpoint. The amount of damage that all the late model (pre-tier4) diesel tractors in N/A does a year is likely not much if any more than say what one A380 flying from NY to Dubai does. It's extremely minute (meaning small and not 60 seconds) in the big scheme of things.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #22  
Basically this thread is talking about OEM manufacturers being required to make it where non-OEM sources can access the computers on the tractors to repair them when needed. Or at least that's what I'd assume this thread was started for as that's how tractor manufactures were blocking outside repairs. .

1. I didn't see anything in the new laws that compels OEMs to make it easy (or even possible) for us to modify the coding in our tractors with non-OEM software or tools. What I read only seemed to make it legal for us to do it, if we can figure out how.

I mean I hope y'all aren't stupid enough to believe that "JD" is planning to prosecute or sue someone for fixing a flat tire or replacing a tie-rod end without taking these repairs to a JD dealership?

2. Maybe you should do a little more research before making such strong implications about everyone else's ignorance. Maybe JD hasn't gotten around to tie rods and flat tires yet, but the very idea that you're scoffing at is exactly what they've been working towards, and yes, they absolutely have been laying the groundwork to sue you for repairing your own tractor, and to sue into oblivion whatever 3rd party repair facility dares to make such repairs on your behalf. They have been replacing what used to be simple sensors with "smart" sensors and what used to be simple components with "connected" components, all which talk back to the numerous controllers and "tattle" if they've been replaced, shutting the entire machine down until someone from JD comes out and re-enables it. It's done for the sole reason of getting JD involved in more and more (eventually every single) routine maintenance task, and they've been making traction in securing the sole right to perform this maintenance and the right to sue anyone who cuts in (including the owners of those machines). There's no reason to assume they wouldn't have eventually integrated tie rods and TPMS into these shenanigans.

The 2 main reasons to want access to a modern tractor computers is A) to make a repair that requires access to the computer, and B) to delete the emissions. You can throw tuning it to make more power in there as well if you'd like to.

3. I'd like to. You don't speak for me. I have no interest in deleting emissions until it's impossible to get more HP out of my machine without doing so, and I encounter an absolute need for that HP. My 40HP tractor differed from the 45HP, 50HP, and 55HP versions of the same tractor only in the ECU programming. I want that 55HP, and if I can legally get it now, I'm going to try. If I find that my PTO generator that I want to build requires 65HP and the only thing standing in my way is the emissions system, that's the only scenario in which I would be tempted to bypass it. And even then, I wouldn't want the tractor sitting right outside my kids' window rolling coal.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #23  
My 40HP tractor differed from the 45HP, 50HP, and 55HP versions of the same tractor only in the ECU programming.

This is a big part of the problem. Many tractors today are sold in models with thousands of dollars in difference between 40-50-60HP where the only actual difference between those HP variants is a sticker and an ECU program. Makes it really difficult to differentiate the line and segment the market because all they will ever sell is the 40HP version which can then be "chipped" to the 60HP version (which probably costs 6-7K more). Now, that said, I think that situation is ridiculous, if the engine is made to produce 60HP, don't send it to me detuned to 40HP! So perhaps we'll see some model/HP range collapse, in this example, all the models except the 60HP version will be EOL'ed. And perhaps the segementation will remain but with other differences between the models, putting a bigger hydro pump on the 50HP compared to the 40HP, for example. But, of course, that has a marginal cost to the mfgr were flashing the ECU to 40 vs 60HP is effectively "free". We'll see.

I work in the business of getting people to rent vs buy corporate resources. I'll tell you something I could never say at work, in most cases, buying is a far better choice. However, my entire industry (IT) is moving to the "rental model", just try to get a copy of Office for your computer today and not wind up with a monthly bill (yes, it's possible with Office, but, for how long??). The world is turning into a "non ownership" model, or, put in economic terms, companies are "rent seeking" rather than try to sell products. Makes sense for us (companies trying to do this), but, if we're trying to talk you into it, there has to be a reason, and that reason is that it's far more profitable for us to get 10 dollars a month than 200 dollars up front. And the younger generation seems to be OK with this. Me, once I buy something, I'd like to own it and not have to keep paying on it forever.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #24  
However, my entire industry (IT) is moving to the "rental model", just try to get a copy of Office for your computer today and not wind up with a monthly bill (yes, it's possible with Office, but, for how long??).

That's why I use LibreOffice.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #25  
It is a right to repair, tuning for more hp isn't even part of the problem, defeating emissions wasn't even part of the issue.
Both of those may be aligned with the broader issue of repair and maintenance, with most all the new larger equipment and even some of the smaller compact stuff going to multiple computers and digital sensors with canbus interfaces to operate throttles and hydraulics, transmissions integrated with engine controls to cut hp for a split second for a power range shift to be performed. Being able to adjust the speed or harshness of pto and power shifts, shuttle clutches as the need to arises from temperature changes spring summer fall winter, different modes of use tillage or harvesting, the operation of the auto 4wd or auto diff locks, the draft controls, the hydraulic pressure and flows it is all computer controlled. All of those systems need minor modification and adjustment during normal operation. The diagnostic functions on these systems require being able to access the programing. There is so much that requires access and that is what the right to repair is about, not 5 more hp or rolling coal on a Prius driver.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #26  
That's why I use LibreOffice.

And hopefully, what bcp has flagged here is the legal protection necessary for a nascent ag software equivalent industry to legally grow. Few small players can survive the legal carpet-bombing they'll get from a major corporation's legal beagles.....

Commercial Market's are volume driven. Hard to say what volume is needed to justify alt commercial software development - Might just be a 13 y/o in Iowa that decides to fix the combine, and ends up the kid CEO of AgAltSware Corp.....

Rgds, D.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #27  
I'm deleting mine first chance I get. Climate has nothing to do with people. Earth has been doing it's thing for millions of years.
We are only here for a short time in the big picture.

We got climate change when the GOV took over studies to fit a narrative and money making regulations.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #28  
I'm deleting mine first chance I get. Climate has nothing to do with people. Earth has been doing it's thing for millions of years.
We are only here for a short time in the big picture.

We got climate change when the GOV took over studies to fit a narrative and money making regulations.

Maybe we don't influence the climate, but we sure do have an impact on air quality. We are downwind of the prevailing winds, so all of the crap spewed into the air throughout the country pass through here.
If you think that what you put into the air doesn't matter run a hose from your tailpipe into your house and go to bed... you won't have any problems.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #29  
Money drives the war, and the battle ground is Control...

When equipment controls were all mechanical, it was relatively easy to modify or work around issues as they came up. In that era, you 100% owned the "machine" you bought.

I'm not big on totally locked-down automatic control systems. (Google Airbus A320 debut @ Paris Air Show.....).

While I'd like to see things like automatic low-oil shutdowns on engines, I'd also want to be able to bypass the shutdown. Nobody wants to hear at harvest time, "That sensor is back-ordered 3+ weeks".

Who controls the costs ? The manuf definitely want to call the tune, pick the piper, and have their mandatory ticket prices....

Try finding a non-electric steering rack on a car today...... different "stuff", same battle.....

Tech to blame for ever-growing repair costs, AAA says - Roadshow

Rgds, D.

Status
Not open for further replies.