You now have a right to repair your tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / You now have a right to repair your tractor #11  
Since we're being honest lets not just throw all this hate JD's way and then pretend that all these other manufacturers are somekind of saints or something. Going off of what I've read Kubota tractor computers are locked up tighter than the coochie on a chasity belt rocking virgin as well.

JD isn't fighting for ownership of a machine you buy, they're fighting for ownership of the software on the computers on the machines they make. It would be like if you buy a shiney new Ford F450 and it starts throwing a code because you decided to run an open exhaust setup. You could take it to someone capable of tuning a diesel truck and get it fixed but if no one had been able to crack the ECU then you'd be stuck going to Ford to get it fixed. So in essence JD is fighting not to have to release access to software that they claim they own. If you have a computer related issue with your JD then they want you to have to go to them to resolve it. The funny thing is is that everyone else is the same way. I haven't seen anyone deleting the DPF on their new Kubota's because Kubota's not exactly publishing how to break into their computers to make changes. To my knowledge no manufacturers doing that. JD is just the one in court about it trying to get it to where they're not force to release the info needed to make changes on their computers.

Look I don't like it, but it is what it is, and it's nothing new. It happens in the auto industry all the time. Back when the S197 Mustang came out tuners were having issues tuning them. It took a while to break their ECU's to put good tunes on them especially when using serious mods like blowers or aftermarket cams, etc. The new LT engines from GM are the same way when talking about getting their fuel systems to work well at 600+ HP. I guarantee you that these other companies are letting JD fight this in court on their dime and if they are success then they will hold on to the software and make it hard to crack theur ECU's just like JD is doing. If there is a large enough demand then someone will crack the ECU's from any given brand/model just like they do to any given model in to automotive industry.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #12  
I like my tractor. I also like clean air. All of you guys who think that it's fun to see how much black smoke you can spew into the air are the reason why manufacturers keep them locked up in the first place. I know that I am going to get a lot of hate directed at me for this; but I advocate personal responsibility. When people won't take charge of their actions, laws get passed. "Tuners" sole purpose is to allow you to pollute and break the law.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #13  
I like my tractor. I also like clean air. All of you guys who think that it's fun to see how much black smoke you can spew into the air are the reason why manufacturers keep them locked up in the first place. I know that I am going to get a lot of hate directed at me for this; but I advocate personal responsibility. When people won't take charge of their actions, laws get passed. "Tuners" sole purpose is to allow you to pollute and break the law.
Actually, in most cases the object is to get more power but not the black smoke. Black smoke means that you're over fueling and need more air or less fuel.
Previously, if you added fuel you couldn't control it as well and so you would (of necessity) end up with black smoke because that is how the fuel curve worked.
A properly tuned truck should not smoke except perhaps a little bit when you let off the throttle after being at full throttle.

Aaron Z

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #14  
I'm a throwback... if my 1953 Ford NAA will do the job I need... I am happy.

Maybe why the first car I bought and still own is a Model A Ford?

Poor Mom was at my brothers the other day and wanted to watch the evening news... she was helpless.

On the table are 5 remotes and most have 40 to 50 buttons... she said it is the craziest thing she has ever seen...

She is just fine with the 1980 Zenith Console and simple Space Command and Rabbit Ears.

Complexity often shortens longevity... see it all the time with medical equipment and I don't want it on my tractor...

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #15  
Actually, in most cases the object is to get more power but not the black smoke. Black smoke means that you're over fueling and need more air or less fuel.
Previously, if you added fuel you couldn't control it as well and so you would (of necessity) end up with black smoke because that is how the fuel curve worked.
A properly tuned truck should not smoke except perhaps a little bit when you let off the throttle after being at full throttle.

Aaron Z

I think there's certainly a group that's looking for more power, however there's also a subset that like to 'roll coal' much in the same way that you have plenty of exhaust options that provide minimal HP but plenty of noise to be noticed. Unlike global warming the science on particulate matter is pretty straightforward, some people just would rather put their own enjoyment ahead of other's health and wellbeing.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #16  
I think there's certainly a group that's looking for more power, however there's also a subset that like to 'roll coal' much in the same way that you have plenty of exhaust options that provide minimal HP but plenty of noise to be noticed. Unlike global warming the science on particulate matter is pretty straightforward, some people just would rather put their own enjoyment ahead of other's health and wellbeing.

Those people are just trying to piss off liberal hippies. I agree with their sentiment on this issue BTW.

But the main reason I want no emissions is to gain lower maintenance cost, more reliability, and better fuel economy. I'm not at all worried about over-polluting as I feel the Lord designed everything to work itself out, and I could really careless what some smug, far-left scientists has to say.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #17  
The discussion about locked up ECUs, JD, etc has been hashed and re-hashed enough times. No need to turn this thread into that. The thread was started in response to a recent development to the situation and I for one, would like to know what exactly changed and what the implications are. So we can now "legally" tune our tractors. What does that mean? I didn't realize it was previously "illegal" to tune a tractor, unless it was a John Deere, which is why I stayed way away from JD. So now that I know that I'm well within my rights to tune my LS tractor (I thought I already was, assuming it were even possible to do without their secret sauce software), is that where the story ends? Or is there more? Does this now mean that LS must still honor my warranty if I tune my tractor? Does this now mean that LS must make available to me their closely guarded proprietary software tools that I need in order to do it? I suspect the answer to both those questions is a hard "NO," so I would like to know just exactly what has changed. Does this recent development apply to me in any way? Does this recent development mean anything to anybody who owns anything other than a John Deere product?

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #18  
Those people are just trying to piss off liberal hippies. I agree with their sentiment on this issue BTW.

But the main reason I want no emissions is to gain lower maintenance cost, more reliability, and better fuel economy. I'm not at all worried about over-polluting as I feel the Lord designed everything to work itself out, and I could really careless what some smug, far-left scientists has to say.

Cool, you planning on setting fire to your house as well? Since obviously if the Lord sees fit he'll find a way to keep your house from burning down.

I mean the data is right there for you to take a look at, no need to be a far-left scientist to understand it: Air pollution causes ‘huge’ reduction in intelligence, study reveals | Environment | The Guardian

I'd rather be a good steward of what we've been given but that's just my 2c.

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor
Here is the PDF from the Copyright Office:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2018-10-26/pdf/2018-23241.pdf

I think what we are interested in starts at page 12, section 5.

This from pages 13-14:

Accordingly, the Acting Register recommends that the Librarian adopt the following exemptions:

(1) Computer programs that are contained in and control the functioning of a lawfully acquired motorized land vehicle such as a personal automobile, commercial vehicle or mechanized agricultural vehicle, except for programs accessed through a separate subscription service, when circumvention is a necessary step to allow the diagnosis, repair or lawful modification of a vehicle function, where such circumvention does not constitute a violation of applicable law, including without limitation regulations promulgated by the Department of Transportation or the Environmental Protection Agency, and is not accomplished for the purpose of gaining unauthorized access to other copyrighted works.

(i) The ‘‘maintenance’’ of a device or system is the servicing of the device or system in order to make it work in accordance with its original specifications and any changes to those specifications authorized for that device or system; and

(ii) The ‘‘repair’’ of a device or system is the restoring of the device or system to the state of working in accordance with its original specifications and any changes to those specifications authorized for that device or system.

Bruce

/ You now have a right to repair your tractor #20  
The discussion about locked up ECUs, JD, etc has been hashed and re-hashed enough times. No need to turn this thread into that. The thread was started in response to a recent development to the situation and I for one, would like to know what exactly changed and what the implications are. So we can now "legally" tune our tractors. What does that mean? I didn't realize it was previously "illegal" to tune a tractor, unless it was a John Deere, which is why I stayed way away from JD. So now that I know that I'm well within my rights to tune my LS tractor (I thought I already was, assuming it were even possible to do without their secret sauce software), is that where the story ends? Or is there more? Does this now mean that LS must still honor my warranty if I tune my tractor? Does this now mean that LS must make available to me their closely guarded proprietary software tools that I need in order to do it? I suspect the answer to both those questions is a hard "NO," so I would like to know just exactly what has changed. Does this recent development apply to me in any way? Does this recent development mean anything to anybody who owns anything other than a John Deere product?

iFixit has a good take on it: Copyright Office Ruling Imposes Sweeping Right to Repair Reforms | iFixit

As mentioned earlier, it's the "right to repair" not the right to modify to defeat legal requirements. So if a sensor dies on your brake controller you can circumvent the DRM to replace the sensor but you can't use this to wholesale disable emissions and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.