Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #21  
Zing the trailers mentioned by me are far away and not part of the situation in OH. That tractor has more hours, similar price and less interest anyway. it's possible i could hire a local rollback for that one but still a pricey choice.
One dilemma of buying a trailer is simple fact that the more commonly available car hauler trailers which are also cheaper, haul with higher mpg's and far more saleable when I'm done with it, than a 5,000# axles trailer, is that the DK40 weighs 4,000# plus a loader plus a box blade which puts my load right on or just past the limit for most car haulers what with 3,500# axles, i.e. 7,000# gross weight limits.

7K trailers are usually seen for sale more often because there are more of them around and can be bought cheaper. IMO You usually don't see used 10,12, or 14K for sale because they are scooped up immediately by friends of someone selling one. If you are looking and do see one on CL in my area they are usually gone by the time you call. That was the case when I was looking. I found 6 trailers on CL over a 6 month period (12K and a 14K trailers), most had been posted for less than an hour. When I called they were already sold.
I doubt you would have any problem selling a 10,12, or 14K trailer if you could find one and buy it.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #22  
7K trailers are usually seen for sale more often because there are more of them around and can be bought cheaper. IMO You usually don't see used 10,12, or 14K for sale because they are scooped up immediately by friends of someone selling one. If you are looking and do see one on CL in my area they are usually gone by the time you call. That was the case when I was looking. I found 6 trailers on CL over a 6 month period (12K and a 14K trailers), most had been posted for less than an hour. When I called they were already sold.
I doubt you would have any problem selling a 10,12, or 14K trailer if you could find one and buy it.

I bought a new (20' deck) 14K equipment trailer two years ago.
Cost me $4400 (no tax).
Probably could sell it for $3800+ today.
Have only used it 4 times, but I will NOT sell it!
It will depreciate less per year, each year that I keep it.
I store it inside.
It is a mighty handy tool to have readily available.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #23  
   / Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #24  
I bought my tractor in PA and drove 10 hours round trip to get it. Used a U-Haul trailer to tow it home. Had the tractor dealer measure the wheel width to make sure it would fit the open style trailer. Had to load the tractor backwards onto the trailer to get the weight right. Trip went well, and once home I drove the tractor off the trailer, and the trailer popped off the hitch ball. Did a double take when I realized the nut and lock washer holding the ball onto the hitch was gone. I had checked it when we loaded the tractor in PA. I can only surmise that the surge brakes on the U-Haul trailer somehow caused the ball to turn and loosen the nut. So check the hitch and ball while you travel. Very glad we loaded the tractor so it was heavy on the hitch side! Never had this problem before or since, so that's why I think it was the surge brakes.

:eek:
Holy Cheet!!
I'd say your trip went very well, considering....
One wrong bump in the road and things could of been very different.

I once drove 60 miles with an empty trailer (but luckily with some tongue weight) with just the tongue resting on the ball, not hitched.
10 years later I still think how lucky I am that the trip didn't change my life or more importantly somebody else's.

(Hopefully in my case the safety chains would earn their name, but with a tractor loaded I wouldn't count on it.)

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?
Rmart30- PM sent on the link info, thanks!

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas?
I bought a trailer yesterday, 10,400# GW rated Gatormade, 16', with fold down ramps. it's down to getting into a final price on the tractor & a pickup date.
In a related to my search comment: CL has acted weird lately no matter if I use Mozilla or Internet Explorer? I can no longer email a CL ad back to myself for reference on either mode? Neither can i find anything blocking CL stuff on my puter?
The link I was provided here, to the trailer I bought never showed up no matter how or where I searched for it. it easily came up when I clicked on the link though.

Back to hauling a tractor- Toward binding my load- I have plenty of heavy chains to use but only one load binder-the "grab the chain type" that levers over.
Question: Do I need to get a couple more chain binders or buy some of the commercial 3,300# rated yellow nylon webbing cargo straps like sold by Wally world?

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #28  
I bought a trailer yesterday, 10,400# GW rated Gatormade, 16', with fold down ramps. it's down to getting into a final price on the tractor & a pickup date.
In a related to my search comment: CL has acted weird lately no matter if I use Mozilla or Internet Explorer? I can no longer email a CL ad back to myself for reference on either mode? Neither can i find anything blocking CL stuff on my puter?
The link I was provided here, to the trailer I bought never showed up no matter how or where I searched for it. it easily came up when I clicked on the link though.

Back to hauling a tractor- Toward binding my load- I have plenty of heavy chains to use but only one load binder-the "grab the chain type" that levers over.
Question: Do I need to get a couple more chain binders or buy some of the commercial 3,300# rated yellow nylon webbing cargo straps like sold by Wally world?

I use 4 chains and 4 ratchet binders. Bought my binders at HF. Yes they are made in China but I've been using them for the past 10 years or so without ant problems. Just keep them clean and lubed and they work fine. Loader and rear implement have to be chained or strapped also.

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #29  

I use the wide (2"?) yellow ratchet straps with my Ford 1920 FEL.
I use only 5/16 chain, with chain binders, for my heavier Ford 3400 TLB. (12,000 lb. gross load)

/ Tractor hauling Trailer Rental Ideas? #30  
4 chains for the tractor. I use binders on the front two to snug it up then set the brake.

I then putba strap over the FEL bucket and implem on the 3 point.