6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged???

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #11  
Yep, you definitely have a charging problem. BTW, getting a slightly higher reading after you shutdown is normal. Batteries tend to bounce back slightly when the load is removed.

Don't worry about parasitic drain until you get the charging problem resolved. That is probably all that is wrong. The 14+ volt report threw everyone's diagnosis off.

And also when you remove them from a charger they will show a higher voltage, its called a surface charge.

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #12  
Understandably so on throwing the diagnosis off! So I need to look at a new stator and hopefully that will fix my problem. Could the bad stator be what is drawing while the machine is off? And lastly, could the voltage regulator still be bad and causing these issues? Could the charging system actually be working properly, but the regulator not allowing the charge to make it to the battery?

Did I mention that I hate electric problems!?

I don't think you have a drain it is just not charging if you are only getting 12.1 volts while running. You need to get this charging issue fixed first.

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #13  
Understandably so on throwing the diagnosis off! So I need to look at a new stator and hopefully that will fix my problem. Could the bad stator be what is drawing while the machine is off? And lastly, could the voltage regulator still be bad and causing these issues? Could the charging system actually be working properly, but the regulator not allowing the charge to make it to the battery?

Did I mention that I hate electric problems!?

I think you need to get someone with electrical experience to take a look at it. Could it be the stator? Possibly. It could also be the regulator, frayed or open wiring, etc. It's not a good idea to replace parts without a reasoned troubleshooting approach. Not only can it be needlessly expensive, but you could conceivably damage the new part in the process.

Do you have a wiring diagram for the machine? If you could get a clear photo of it and post it to this thread it would help. Or if you know of an on-line version, provide a link. An engine wiring diagram alone would be better than nothing. Some engine makers have downloadable PDF versions of their manuals. What is the make and model number of the engine?

BTW, if the engine happens to be a Kohler Command or Command Pro horizontal (shaft) twin, I would bet on a bad rectifier regulator module, especially if dirt has been allowed to accumulate on the engine. A bad rectifier regulator module could drain the battery after it was put on a charger. It would definitely affect charging. It could conceivably also take out the stator windings, but would not necessarily do so. I can think of no way for a failed stator alone to drain the battery on these engines.

Last edited:
   / 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #14  
I think you need to get someone with electrical experience to take a look at it. Could it be the stator? Possibly. It could also be the regulator, frayed or open wiring, etc. It's not a good idea to replace parts without a reasoned troubleshooting approach. Not only can it be needlessly expensive, but you could conceivably damage the new part in the process.
I agree. If you havent already checked them, I would add bad fuses to that list of possible issues

Aaron Z

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged???
Thanks guys for all of your help so far! It is greatly appreciated. I am far from "knowing" what I am doing when it comes to electric, so thanks for bearing with me. I know just enough to get myself into trouble, but am trying to work through and figure this problem out on my own without paying JD my paycheck! I have gone through all the wiring, and can't seem to find anything open or frayed... I can't seem to find any fuses to check though. I have done my share of research, and it seems that more often than not, the regulator is the culprit of these such problems on this machine. Quite a few people seem to have had this similar problem so I am going to test and see what I have going into the regulator, and what I have going out. I am hoping that I notice a descrepancy, and all I have to do is replace is the regulator. If not, then I guess I go from there to check out the flywheel and stator.

Last edited:
   / 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #16  
What motor does it have and what is the model number?

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #17  
Quite a few people seem to have had this similar problem so I am going to test and see what I have going into the regulator, and what I have going out. I am hoping that I notice a descrepancy, and all I have to do is replace is the regulator. .

Do you know what the "discrepancy" would look like and how to use a meter to test the regulator? Even a perfectly operating regulator will not have a similar input and output, unless it is a purely DC shunt regulator, which is unlikely. It most likely will have an AC input and a DC output, since it will do more than just regulate. To verify that the regulator, if it checks that way, is really bad, you should measure the open circuit voltage of the alternator to see if it is within spec.

We're trying to help, but we need the engine make and model number?

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged???
It's a Kawasaki FD620D-BS11

/ 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #19  
Here are some schematics and how to check the regulator, I found them online. The test they are talking about is a ohm meter.

Attachments

• DeereGatorChargingSystemDiagram.jpg
    DeereGatorChargingSystemDiagram.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 13,972
  • DeereGatorDashHarness.jpg
    DeereGatorDashHarness.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 10,464
  • FD620661RegulatorTest.jpg
    FD620661RegulatorTest.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 11,344
   / 6x4 Gas Gator Won't Stay Charged??? #20  
Here are some schematics and how to check the regulator, I found them online. The test they are talking about is a ohm meter.

The schematics show that the machine has a battery discharge light. It should come on when the key is turned to the On position and go out when the engine is running. What does it do?

Misfire