John Deere 855 Reviews

5.00 star(s)
Jmelliottprop

855 John Deere
Great Little Tractor
Model Year: 1988

This is one heavy built little tractor. Can handle a 5' bush hog with no trouble. Mine has a 72" belly mower and mows great.

Pros: Tough. Heavy.
Cons: None.

4.00 star(s)
paul strachan

855 John Deere
Good Little Tractor
Model Year: 1986

It is a good little tractor with a hydro-static transmission and small loader.

Pros: Parts are getting a little harder to find.
Cons: Works good around the yard.

5.00 star(s)
JDKEV855

855 John Deere
Great Little Tractor
Model Year: 1992

Great tractor with every available attachment a person could want. Pretty much bulletproof.

Pros: You could do just about anything with this tractor.
Cons: A little more difficult to install attachments then some other tractors.

4.00 star(s)
mlarry28112

855 John Deere
Hydrostatic Drive is Giving Trouble
Model Year: 1993

My tractor is jumping out of gear when it goes down any amount of grade and is very hard to get engaged again. It pulls fine once it engages but will not stay engaged for long. I have to move the forward and reverse pedals back and forth while shifting the range lever up and down to get it to lock in and then when it does lock in it leaps forward or backward so it is unsafe. If you have any ideas on what the problem is I would love to hear from you. Thanks, Larry

Pros: Holds it value well and is handy to use.
Cons: Transmission troubles should not happen with so little hours.

5.00 star(s)
Nick S

855 John Deere
JD 855 A Great Liitle Workhorse
Model Year: 1990

My John Deere 855 has a 4-way front end loader and backhoe and is only used for light DIY landscaping and DIY duties. It a superb flexible and reliable workhorse and I can recommend it for similar applications.

Pros: Reliable and flexible.
Cons: A little under-powered for heavier duties.

5.00 star(s)
1oleguy

855 John Deere
JD 855
Model Year: 1994

Sheer bliss. This tractor has been the most reliable tool I have ever owned. For the first half of its life it was used for mowing with its 60" belly mower and snow removal for home and retail store with the front end loader snow used to be a big thing here in Pa. Not so bad the last few years though. We moved to a larger home about 10 years ago and needed to remove huge rocks sticking out of the back acre lawn. No problem with the rear blade attachment then I tackled cleaning up about an acre of overgrown wooded buffer zone the little beast tore up tree like shrubs with the tooth attachment I installed on the 60" front bucket and cleaned out all the underbrush as well without a hitch or even a burp. After 20 years it runs as well today as when I first test drove it. It's a great tractor and holds it value as well.

Pros: Reliabilty.
Cons: None I can think of.

5.00 star(s)
jhall3rd

855 John Deere
Great Piece of Equipment
Model Year: 1993

6 ft belly mower is a huge help.

Pros: Extremely reliable.
Cons: Small fuel tank.

5.00 star(s)
steelhead99

855 John Deere
JD 855 with Loader
Model Year: 1995

Purchased this tractor over the border for 7K from an egg farmer, 3rd owner. Perfect size machine for small acreage...land is mostly trees so you can maneuver in and around quite easy. This machine has been worked and seems to be holding up quite well as it was an ex-rental. Engine seems solid and runs well. The hydro-static transmission is smooth for loader work. The front spindles are leaking gear oil a bit, significant play in steering due to worn bushings on steering cylinder. Current attachments include 4' bb, 5' rear blade for snow clearing, 6' rake (great tool), omni 3pt hitch w/hook (use mostly for choking logs), bucket bolt on forks (a must). We'll give props for kens bolt on hooks as well. Just added 2 sets of rigid industries duallys (flood front/diffusion rear) to ROPS for plowing my drive, pretty pricey but well worth it for those dark stormy nights. Run off the work light fuse. Father has a newer JD 2305 or 2505 series...I'd take mine in a heartbeat for the price/value any day of the week, his machine seems a lot smaller.

Pros: Great all around tractor for 24HP.
Cons: Needs a paint job ;).

Photo Uploads:

5.00 star(s)
Trinicowboy

855 John Deere
My JD 855
Model Year: 0

I got this at an auction it says does not run for $1,200.00. Brought it home, clean it up, charge the battery, she started right up. Runs like a dream to date. I must add that I am not a mechanic. I just buy stuff on an impulse.

Pros: HST.
Cons: None.

5.00 star(s)
TimSS454

855 John Deere
John Deere 855 4WD
Model Year: 1997

John Deere 855 4WD, 70A loader, factory soft side cab, loaded turfs, ballast box on 3 pt. with 500lb., Bucket mount Anbo site pusher plow with rubber blade. Fore and aft LED Light kit. Great snow removal machine for my mini-warehouse. Great for landscape projects.

Pros: Great on fuel, very dependable.
Cons: ?

Photo Uploads: