Kubota BX24 Reviews

4.00 star(s)
Normanc

BX24 Kubota
BX24
Model Year: 2006

I purchased this BX24 used with approximately 325 hrs. Since then I have used it for 125+ hours. This is my first tractor and I must say I enjoy operating it. With its hydrostatic transmission and small size it makes it easy to operate and maneuver. There is no question that you need to practice operating both the backhoe and front end loader to be good however I found that I caught on quickly. I transport this tractor behind my Honda Pilot on a tandem trailer. The tractor weighs about 3,000 lbs so be sure to purchase a trailer that will support this weight but also that of an attachment as well. Overall I think the quality is good but not excellent. I have found minor seepage of Hydrostatic fluid on the rear and also some seepage of fluid on the front axle. It seems that these type of "leaks" should not appear with such low hours. Also one of the safety switches associated with the seat needed replacement because it broke. The tractor is an excellent workhorse. I have purchased a 54" snowblower for the rear and a 48" bush hog. There is no problem handling either attachment and with the hydrostatic transmission it is easy to adjust your speed/direction as required. One issue I found during bush hogging, is that some sticks spring up and enter the engine area through the opening around the drive shaft. I would recommend a guard/skid plate be placed over this opening to prevent damage to the fan/shroud. With an mid-mount mower this wouldn't be required. I have used the loader to move gravel from the bank and place it on a road. It worked well but is small in size so allow lots of time for large jobs. The loader will lift around 800 lbs so you must remember that it may not do everything you want but it sure saves your back and you can have fun doing work! I installed rear facing lights for use with the backhoe and rear snowblower. Too bad provisions aren't incorporated in the design for this.

Pros: Size, ease of operation, ability to operate numerous attachments
Cons: High price, premature leakage of fluids

5.00 star(s)
fairmgr

BX24 Kubota
I love it
Model Year: 0

Got the tractor much against my wifes wishes. It is great! I haven't picked up a shovel in the time I have owned it (if I am thinking). Did all the finish grading around a large addition on my house along with all the landscape work.

Pros: Complete tractor
Cons: little more power in hydrolics

4.00 star(s)
ampsucker

BX24 Kubota
workhorse w/ limitations - could easily be better
Model Year: 2008

This scut is a reliable performer but could use several key improvements to make it even better. First, the good stuff. This machine is well engineered in most regards and can do a lot of things well. It mows heavy grass reliably, can dig up a water line and move a lot of dirt and snow. At about 18 grand with the BH, 60" mower deck and FEL, you spend a lot but you get a lot. The weight to power ratio is good (25 engine HP, 17 PTO) and the machine is light enough you can easily tow it with a regular duty pickup (Tundra, F150, etc.) It is easy to change out implements and get right back to taking care of business. I maintain about 4 acres w/ garden, orchard and lots of weeds with this tractor. It does a great job. I also do commercial snow removal around town and have never been let down due to the tractor. I can pull a single bottom plow, a sprayer, a tiller, a roller, a wagon or trailer, etc. The BX is a little work horse and will do most anything I ask of it although a bit slower than a larger machine. Normally, this isn't a problem for me although it does get a little tiring if doing a lot of BH work. It can take a while in our clay soil. Things I would change/improve: 1. temp gauge reads high during heavy summer mowing. still not sure if this is actual over heating or the location of the temp sensor. never have to add fluid and no boilovers, so i guess it's not serious. i always keep the radiator screen clean and it does easily plug up with debris when brush hogging, etc. seems to be an engineering issue. 2. would love to have left and right brake control for tight space maneuvering and for holding the tractor on course when plowing or blading snow. 3. would love a few hundred more pounds of lift capacity on FEL and BH. our clay dirt in Kansas is HEAVY and i cannot lift a full bucket of dirt with the FEL out of a pile. 4. would love a medium drive gear. low and high is ok, but this machine begs for something in between. 5. would LOVE more ground clearance and the option of using taller tires. rear clearance against the frame makes this impossible. 6. tight tolerance/clearance behind several grease zerks makes it difficult to get grease into several fittings. (mower balance bar and bottom of BH boom pivot) 7. a bigger FEL bucket for moving light snow and light weight items would be a nice option. 8. a tow behind or larger capacity bagger option would be nice. 9. a cheaper cab option to keep blowing snow off the driver would be nice. i don't want to spend 4 grand for a heated cab w/ glass, just a simple plastic enclosure to keep the snow off would be great. 10 really wish it had a gear box leveler w/ hand crank to adjust angle of rear implements. something like this is essential for proper grading operations. 11. front tires cost 100 bux to replace. i had to upgrade to a shorter, high pressure valve stem on these due to the factory ones getting rubbed off/broken by mud in the garden when plowing. don't run these little tires with low pressure and a load in the FEL, as the bead area will flex and crack and you'll be buying a new one. Admittedly, most of these are small, nit pick items. Overall, I'm very pleased with the BX as a first tractor and plan to hold on to it for many years to come. Eventually I MIGHT upgrade to a little larger machine, but for now, I enjoy the trade off of excellent fuel economy and easy towing that I get with the BX. It may take a bit longer to do a job, but I know I can get it done with this tractor.

Pros: fuel economy; weight to power ratio; many configuration options;
Cons: SUDT expensive; could use more seat adjustment; lacking a few features of larger tractors; maintenance items expensive at deale

3.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

BX24 Kubota
Good little TLB but with glaringly poor design features!!!

BX24 TLB with 60" mid mount mower & PTO driven bagger. Yes it will handle just about any digging, carrying or loading chore a homeowner will throw at it, but I wouldn't buy it again nor will I recommend it. A lot better Kub designs out there! My opinions.... - Cheap plastics all the way around. - Poor side handle support design. The recall design repair isn't much better. I avoid using the right side handle completely. Don't trust it holding up to the strain. - Absolutely hate the location of the differential lock. (heel activated) Kub should have kept the BX23 location. - Water will short out the hr meter and combo light switches. Be careful washing and never let it out in the weather. - Head-jerking abrupt stopping when releasing the hydro pedal. - Hydraulics will not operate at engine idle speed. Very annoying! - A back and time saver when digging, loading or just carrying. - Attaching/detaching the loader and hoe are a breeze. Can't say the same for the mower deck and bagger. They take some time and you will get dirty. - Works great for mowing and bagging!

Pros: Beats digging by hand or pushing a wheel barrow around
Cons: POOR design. Major flaws.

4.00 star(s)
orangegopher

BX24 Kubota
BX24 bought used
Model Year: 2007

I bought this BX24 used with 50 hours on it. It's my first tractor. So far I enjoy using it to dig out roots, move logs around, and will shortly use it to level yard.

Pros: Versitle
Cons: Don't get much support from Kubota

Photo Uploads:

4.00 star(s)
Woodsmoker

BX24 Kubota
The good, the bad, the ugly
Model Year: 2005

First, the BX24 is a good little tractor but it is not a big tractor and evaluations must be based on the machines design capabilities. I paid a very fair price for it new with the FEL, MMM, and BH. I've added a scraper blade, harrow, woods tiller and it has handles them all. My complaints center around the stuff that doesn't really interfere with the operation, but still piss you off. Things like the fitment of the bodywork panels, having a filter located in an area that requires you to drop the MMM to service. And dropping the MMM is a total exercise in futility in itself. But I still LOVE my Kubota and can't imagine replacing it.

Pros: Size. Price. Accessories.
Cons: See notation above.

4.00 star(s)
fatnfur

BX24 Kubota
BX24

I like the size of this machine as it has been good for getting into tight spots. It seems reasonably well built but has a few engineering flaws. When in high gear letting your foot off of the forward or reverse pedal is like instantly jamming the brakes and produces a jarring motion and loud cry from the hydraulic pump as the tractor screeches to a halt. As much as I try to feather the motion of the hydro pedal it is nearly impossible to get a smooth transition from motion to rest and this is very annoying in many situations. I have heard others with the same complaint so make sure you test drive your next purchase. The other problem I have encountered is the design of the transmission fan. It is crucial (according to Kubota) to the cooling of the hydro fluid and is located right against the trans cooling fins underneath the tractor. A wayward stick took all the blades off of my fan one day and a web search revealed this to be a very common problem. The plastic fan is less than $10 but the labor involved to change it is in the $600 dollar range. Once the fan was off, I was able to see that dust and dirt had completely filled the cooling fins on the tranny, which would obviously affect the cooling performance. So not a good design in that respect. Otherwise it has been reliable enjoyable to own.

Pros: Small size, good power for the size.
Cons: A few engineering issues and f.e.l. a bit weak.

5.00 star(s)
jeffah

BX24 Kubota
Big for its size

It does a lot for its size, but if you can afford a larger tractor you will be happy you did. I really do love this tractor, it is great for its price, and I really like how well it fits in the garage. Although it does finish all the projects I throw at it, I always feel like a larger tractor would be so much more efficient and effective. However, I find the pedal layout odd, wish it had the brake pedal on the left side, instead of 9 inches above the FR pedals on the right. The seat slopes forward uncomfortably, my legs are sore from holding myself in place after I've been on the tractor a few hours. The lurching when letting off the reverse pedal is maddening, but in low range it is pretty manageable. The tractor really could use a mid range. Low is very slow, and high is too fast when there is any weight in the bucket. Overall the tractor is great and other than the pedals everything is very simple to learn. When I sell this tractor in a few years I will likely move up to a B series. But I will definitely stay with Kubota, they have won me over with this tractor.

Pros: Size to power ratio, fuel efficiency, build quality.
Cons: Pedal Layout, lurching when stopping in reverse, uncomfortable seat.

5.00 star(s)
montelatici

BX24 Kubota
Limited capability but an all rounder

Firstly, don't let the attachments fool you, this is a very small TLB. It can do most jobs you can think of, but it lacks the power to do them quickly. The loader is best used for carrying things and very light clearing. The BH can do some serious detail work, and can remove some huge stumps if you take your time. Nice little tractor, but don't think it can do large scale excavation or clearing with it. It is very reliable and has great fit and finish. If you have limited funds, it is suitable to do lawn mowing as well as light landscaping, but frankly, it is probably better to buy a regular riding mower for the lawn mowing as the MMM costs almost as much as a riding lawn mower. I am very happy with it and it was a godsend when we had the big snow on the east coast this winter. The loader can move snow.

Pros: Can do many things on an estate.
Cons: A little small.

Photo Uploads:

4.00 star(s)
Cherokee180

BX24 Kubota
New to Tractors

I have a relatively small lot (half acre), but a long driveway with limited snow removal options and a large backyard with limited access. We felt that the sub-compact tractor was the answer and used was a reasonable option. We bought our BX24 TLB as a repossession from Barlow equipment (they are in Tennessee, but the tractor was in Washington where we are). The dealer was wonderful. The tractor has nearly 400 hours and I have only used it about 10, so my experience is limited. The cracks in the right fender are annoying as is the need to have some rpm's built up for implements to operate. I find that even for a very low tractor, it feels quite "tippy" when going from even a sidewalk to the yard. However, traction has been great and with a head of steam, the bucket and TLB have very good power for my projects. I needed to move about 5 or 6 landscape boulders and after coaxing them into the bucket, it picked them up and moved them with ease. I could not have done it any other way as they weighed 400 lbs or so each. A quick trenching job and removing some ground cover shrubs with the backhoe showed that it makes quick work of these projects...turning hours of back-breaking shovel and pick work into minutes. I am loving it, my wife thinks it's great, and the neighbors are all looking on in envy (with my best Tim the Toolman Taylor laugh).

Pros: Nice--all in one package. Get's the Job Done. It's Orange and looks buff.
Cons: Plastic, no hyd pressure at idle.