John Deere X300 Reviews

5.00 star(s)
jbc1013

X300 John Deere
Works Well - a Bit Underpowered for My Current Situation
Model Year: 2007

My x300 has run well for 4 years with dying battery as only problem. It is underpowered for hilly, 3 acre yard I now own.

Pros: Reliable, runs well.
Cons: K46 tuff torque transmission is same as cheaper models - strains a bit on the hills. I would have bought x500 series if I had bought new on this property.

5.00 star(s)
spoon059

X300 John Deere
John Deere X300
Model Year: 2011

I bought the X300 from my local dealer when JD was offering $500 cash back. I bought the mulch plug kit so I would have the option of regular mowing. The mower is quieter and more smooth than my old MTD mower. The mulch kit works AWESOME and makes the leaves virtually disappear. The only potential complaint is that the frame can flex a little when going over a weird dip in my yard. When the frame flexes, the hood pops a little... its a little odd to see. Overall I am very happy with the quality of this mower and the price that I got.

Pros: Dependable, smooth, comfortable.
Cons: None yet.

4.00 star(s)
Harhk

X300 John Deere
Won't Start
Model Year: 2010

Won't start, seat switch good, brake switch good, no spark, turns over great. Did charge battery without discounting batter?

Pros: Cuts good.
Cons: Won't start.

4.00 star(s)
ahakeeler

X300 John Deere
Dealer Experience
Model Year: 2009

The salesmen I negotiated the purchase with came to my home three days after the lawn tractor was delivered and actually said "you stole the bagging system from us." I reminded him and produced both the sales and delivery invoices showing the sale agreement we had made was contingent upon the inclusion of the bagger and he left in a huff! I tried to contact the manager of the dealership he worked for and their corporate offices and neither would make themselves available. I even explained all this in the mailer satisfaction survey you receive, I did receive a phone call back, with a voice mail, but with no contact info. It was all just really sad. The tractor has been great and luckily I have another dealership in town I can go to, who is much better.

Pros: Great tractor, very easy to ues and mowes great in evey config.
Cons: Removing/installing/leveling the deck. I have sever back problems and for me the 42" deck can be cumbersome to get in and out.

3.00 star(s)
Anonymous Poster

X300 John Deere
Continuous Problems
Model Year: 2008

Like many others the original battery quit after less than two years. Electronic module went bad at two years; may have been due to jumping a dead battery. Extremely poor performance after 3 years turned out to be bad spark plugs. At 4 years the same sluggish performance is back. Hope it's the same problem. This is coincident with a bad spindle bearing which needs replacement after only 70 hours. The grease fitting on the right spindle is inaccessible the one on the left one is very difficult to access. When it's working it's great.

Pros: Capable machine.
Cons: Poor reliability; collection chute clogs easily and is difficult to clear.

4.00 star(s)
txbikerinpa

X300 John Deere
If I had Waited One More Year I Would Have Had 4 Year Warranty

Mows good. If my land was level or my weight was 120# I would love it. The tranny is acting up so I got a deal on a GT275 that I will use to replace the X300. Cost less to swap mowers than upgrading the tranny on the x300. With a stronger tranny, this would be the perfect mower.

Pros: Mows good, reliable.
Cons: Weak tranny that I can't service.

3.00 star(s)
Boutito

X300 John Deere
X300

Transmission is weak link.

Pros: Versatile.
Cons: Transmission and cost of replacement parts.

5.00 star(s)
Rubberducky

X300 John Deere
My X300
Model Year: 2012

No complaints about this machine. I feel like I use it more than the 10hrs on it. I have the canopy and front brush guard. I have the dump cart as well. I drive it down the street and into the woods to dump yard waste. I tow my daughter around for Halloween in the cart. I have pulled a decent size stump out with it. It cuts well on slopes. I had an STX38 for 10 yrs. prior and the x series is a whole different machine. I disabled the seat cut off so she stays running without pushing the button. The only thing that I don't like is you can't cut in reverse without getting the override.

Pros: Everything.
Cons: Can't cut in reverse without spending extra money.

5.00 star(s)
BoyRoy

X300 John Deere
So Far All Good
Model Year: 2013

Very pleased so far with the way this mower performs, it is much better than la-130 it replaced. Steering is great; feels almost like power steering. Also it runs smoother and when turning on transaxle; it is much smoother. As for the transmission it is the same one I had in the LA-130 that I had for 6-years, hauled a lot of dirt with a cart and still going strong when I traded it in. I think if you maintain the mower, it will last a long time. If not just replace trans with something stronger.

Pros: Everything but one see cons.
Cons: One thing I do not like when going in reverse, it turns off transaxle.

5.00 star(s)
dleebold

X300 John Deere
Good Build Quality
Model Year: 2011

Money was the deciding factor.

Pros: It's a Deere.
Cons: Can scalp.