Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #1  

Domush

Platinum Member
Tractor
1981 Yanmar 336D
I was just finishing up a fenced in area for my horse and was walking down my driveway and saw just how ugly wire fencing really is. It makes my house look trashy, but I couldn't figure out any other means of making it look nice.

The next day I went to Lowes for something and while wandering around I found landscape timbers were on sale for $1.97 (usually $3.97), so I had an "aha!" moment.. homemade split rail fencing!

Now, this isn't a new idea for me, as I did exactly this at my last house and it looked awesome. Since then, though, landscape timbers went way up in price and I was feeling poor. But a bit of good timing came my way and I found myself buying 99 timbers for my fence.

IMG_20120528_195744.jpg

The pile of timbers. I stacked them this way hoping they wouldn't warp quite as much, but it's really hot here recently, and I'll be lucky is they stay reasonably straight. Any tips on keeping them from warping (besides bringing them inside)?

IMG_20120528_192321.jpg

I used my table saw to slice 1/2 of them down the center.

Unfortunately, my 14amp Ryobi table saw wasn't too keen on my slicing them during 95F heat and melted down on me. My fencing project just got a lot more pricey. :(

I managed to find a used Craftsman 3HP table saw on CL for $100, which was less than a new cheapy Ryobi, so I ran down to get it. A few pulley fixes later and I now have my first real table saw!

Now, if anyone has ever used one of these 'real' table saws, you'll know the top is cast iron which means for a heavy move, especially for a single guy. I always love a reason to use my tractor..

IMG_20120528_195821.jpg

Notice the current wire fencing in the background. That is what I'm looking to pretty up.

IMG_20120528_192343.jpg

Now that my table saw is in place I began making angular cuts in order to make the 'split' in the rails. Nothing complex, just cutting notches out.

IMG_20120528_192315.jpg

Here is the result

Tomorrow I'll be drilling holes in the posts for the rails to slip into.

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #2  
Congrats on the great price on a good saw. Nothing beats a good old cast iron table for accuracy. Find a permanent place for it though. As you found out, they aren't a 'portable tool'. 2 things I have learned about landscape timbers: Since they are made from peeler cores, each one is the heart of the log and wants to twist and turn as they dry. That's what causes the checking (cracks). Not much you can do about that, other than keep them damp and shaded from the direct sun until you get them installed.

It just adds character to the fence. Another thing to look at is the treatment process. The ones around here are only surface treated for appearance, not pressure treated. You may be OK there using these for posts, but here in the wet coastal climate, they may only last a couple of years in the ground. Show us a picture or two when you get it done. I'd like to get rid of some of our ugly wire horse fence too.....Dan.

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #3  
I am looking forward to seeing your finished fence...

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #4  
The only problem with Craftsman and some others is their horse power ratings.. Their motors are about the size of a 1/2 hp and claim 3 hp. Their air compressors are a joke. My Quincy has a five hp motor that weights nearly a hundred pounds and contains a magnetic starter. It must be a totally new formula for comparison and I wonder how they can claim these ratings that seem so far fetched. Size may not be the only factor. Just stick a hardwood 4x4 on the saw and see if the three hp can breeze through it. My one hp Rockwell does not have a problem cutting it.

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #5  
The only problem with Craftsman and some others is their horse power ratings.. Their motors are about the size of a 1/2 hp and claim 3 hp. Their air compressors are a joke. My Quincy has a five hp motor that weights nearly a hundred pounds and contains a magnetic starter. It must be a totally new formula for comparison and I wonder how they can claim these ratings that seem so far fetched. Size may not be the only factor. Just stick a hardwood 4x4 on the saw and see if the three hp can breeze through it. My one hp Rockwell does not have a problem cutting it.

would that be a Oak 4"x4", or an Aspen 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" :confused2:

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #6  
I hope you have better luck with these landscaping timbers than I did. They are not as good as they where years ago. The split rail fence I built rotted in the air from the inside out in two years. I have never seen this happen before.

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #7  
Can't see pics, anyone have a clue as to why. They come up as black squares with a minus sign in the middle. Never have issues with other posts.

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #8  
Can't see pics, anyone have a clue as to why. They come up as black squares with a minus sign in the middle. Never have issues with other posts.

Same here. No can see. :confused:

Joe

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #9  
No pics here either..........

/ Split rail fencing the DIY (and budget) way #10  
Those pictures are not hosted here on TBN and look like they were blocked by google for some reason.