The DIY $8 snow plow!!

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #1  

DanBowers

Tractor
B3200, T1400HST
This was a quicky project that I decided to tackle last evening. Since I can plow with the B3200, I thought my son would like a plow for his T1400. I hit up the local metal supply shop for 16' of .125"x1.5" flat stock.......total cost....$8. For the blade, a blue plastic drum gave itself up for the greater good!! Other than that, some wire, few miscellaneous bolts and two quick pins completed the job. Below is a pic of version 1.0.

1112131607.jpg

This is a pic of one very happy boy!!

1112131652.jpg

After a couple test runs I decided to greatly narrow the plow to save weight and keep it from "scooping" snow when lifted. When I did this it put a downward angle of the plow frame which made it want to roll under the tractor. So I spent an hour this afternoon, re"engineered" the frame, lowered the pick up point and made some more bracing. Now it works perfect!! He'll have a good time cleaning up the drive when a couple inches of snow have fallen. I'll grab a few pics of the version 2.0 in the AM.

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!!
Ok.......so I needed to go out to the garage so I snapped the pics tonight. I still need to finish welding several areas, clean a few spots up and hit it with a coat of Kubota orange. But need to make sure this is the final version before I start the finish work!!

1113132138.jpg

1113132139.jpg

1113132139a.jpg

I'm also not done with the handle design. The flat stock is on there for the time being but I'm looking for a nice piece of lightweight pipe to use.

1113132140.jpg

An overall pic with his rear tool carrier also in place. He's now claimed a hammer, hatch and sledgehammer. Not sure what he plans on doing but he's getting geared up for something.

1113132143.jpg

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #3  
Really nice idea! He is going to have so much fun with it.

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #4  
Just be glad that he takes an interest in working rather than stuck with his head in a video game. Not many kids out there today that want to help around the house without being forced.

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #6  
Heck the Hammer and Hatchet are just about mandatory items for a real boy to have close at hand. :D Great to see him HELPING dad on the important tasks as well.
One item could be adding a metal lower cutting edge to the drum section, (might have one but could not see it in the pic.) The Sledge hammer is a good weight adder for traction might have to get him a set of chains for rear tires too. ;)

Mark

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!!
I did put small shoes on the lower edge of the drum section but they are on the backside. This will keep it from digging in.

As for chains.....already have a set that I can make work!! I figure with the chains, couple bricks in the basket and leaving the mower deck on should add all the weight that it needs for cleaning up windrows or pushing off a couple inches of light snow.

Just be glad that he takes an interest in working rather than stuck with his head in a video game. Not many kids out there today that want to help around the house without being forced.

Thanks. He's a good helper. There is also a metal garden trailer that he pulls around for moving firewood. I've even found myself hopping on the little tractor with the trailer to run around the yard and move some stuff. Right now I'm eyeing up a G3200 w/ snow blade as a little resto project for him to mess around with. I'm going to start another thread to see if it may be worth looking at.

http://smd.craigslist.org/grd/4184562985.html

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #8  
ok, that's actually pretty awesome. My son is only 12 weeks old but I can't wait for him to start fooling around with stuff like this.

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #9  
Nice project !

Even better, you both are having fun.

Thanks for posting - I have a good friend that "expensive" blade would be perfect for.

Rgds, D.

/ The DIY $8 snow plow!! #10  
ok, that's actually pretty awesome. My son is only 12 weeks old but I can't wait for him to start fooling around with stuff like this.

Same here, my 2y.o. is starting to take an interest in being out in the garage with me. I guess I'm gonna have to start "child-proofing" it a little more so he can spend more time out there.