Wooden V snow plow for FEL

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #1  

JimS

Bronze Member
I have about a 600 ft gravel drive and a more than usual 10" snow. Usually don't get this much at one time and have done the needed very little snow removal with the FEL but it takes a lot of time and I end up with some gravel in the grass, etc.. With below zero temps I wanted to limit time outside. Saw a few wooden plows on the net and had some lumber so gave it a go. Don't have capability to do welding and I would only use this a time or two per year. In a couple hours I had a blade about 8.5 ft wide. Used a couple scraps of microlam for the bottom but 2 x 10 would have worked ok too. 2 x 6 on top of that with a 3/4 ply top lip. Some 2 x 4 framing to fit the bucket and a chain to hold it in.

plow.jpg

It worked very well. I was able to drive right down the road in one pass. I kept it a bit above the gravel but it hit in a few spots with no problem. Also skidded across the grass in some spots. Made a pass down each side to widen things out. It was light powdery snow which helped. And some skids so I could get a bit lower would be nice. All in all I was pleased with how well it worked, especially considering how easy and cheap it was to put together. It doesn't compare to other projects here but it did the job I needed.

Didn't get any pictures of it in action but here is the plowed road.

plowedroad.jpg

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #2  
Looks like it did the job and that is 99% of the battle.

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #3  
Serve the purpose well.

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #4  
And it's bio-degradeable too!

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #5  
Looks like something I would do and my wife would roll her eyes at... good job!

The importaint thing is that it got the job done.

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #6  
Hope you don't get more snow because a V blade is pretty much a one time thing.

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #7  
Pretty cool!! And you were able to make your path wider just by using one side of the blade. Good thinking. It's interesting how we all get stuck into a "metal fab" state of mind when doing stuff with our equipment but you stepped out of the box and used wood! Obviously you wouldn't be clearing mall parking lots with it, but for your driveway it obviously worked well.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of pics of it "unmounted" from your FEL if you get a chance. I'm curious to see how the framing was done. I might do something like that for my driveway. The only other thing that I would do is put some "skis" under it so it doesn't scalp my gravel driveway. That way I could leave an inch or two of snow on top of the gravel.

BTW, where are you located?

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #8  
Hope you don't get more snow because a V blade is pretty much a one time thing.
Not necessarily, as long as you keep widening the drive and don't just take one pass, you can use that effectively through the winter.

It worked very well. I was able to drive right down the road in one pass. I kept it a bit above the gravel but it hit in a few spots with no problem. Also skidded across the grass in some spots. Made a pass down each side to widen things out. It was light powdery snow which helped. And some skids so I could get a bit lower would be nice. All in all I was pleased with how well it worked, especially considering how easy and cheap it was to put together. It doesn't compare to other projects here but it did the job I needed.

Didn't get any pictures of it in action but here is the plowed road.

View attachment 353747

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #9  
Looks great! My old man has used a 2x6 plow on his tractor for the 31 years I've been around. Only rebuilt it once. He has a metal scraping edge and a piece of pipe at the back... but everything else is pressure treated lumber.

/ Wooden V snow plow for FEL #10  
That plow did a great job.