Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #1  

TractorNH

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2655 HST Cab, Deere 350C Dozer, Case 580CK TLB
Finally finished my underslung plow frame project. Plow is an 8 Fisher Speedcast I picked up on Craigslist for $300, a steal considering it also included all the truck side frame and hydraulics.

The quick attach plate is a 5/16 thick version. The horizontal frame tubes are 3 inch 1/4 inch wall square tubing. I welded a piece of 4 inch 5/16 thick angle flat to the bottom bent part of the QA plate and across the face of the plate to give strength to the QA plate. I then welded the 3 square tube to the bottom of the angle. The support gussets are 3/8 thick plate that was water-jet cut based on a template I had made. I filled the space at the top of the gussets with 1/4 inch flat bar. The rear cross member where the plow attaches is the original truck side lower member that is an I-beam with the mounting pins attached. The verticals between the square tube and the I-beam are pieces of 4 channel notched to fit the I-beam and welded to form a rectangular tube. At the top rear of the QA plate I welded in a piece of 2 inch x 1/4 angle which centers the QA plate between my loader mounts and also reinforces the QA for the chain lift point.

I did a lot of research and looked at A LOT of other designs by users on this site when I was planning my project. I determined that shifting the plow attachment points rearward by using this type of mount removes some of the lateral leverage the plow has on the loader and also shortens the length the plow adds to the tractor. This plow is mounted 14 inches rearward of where it would be if I just attached pin mounts to the face of the QA plate. I could have gone further back but was limited by the two pieces of 3 square tubing (since I found them in a scrap bin and they were free).

Another key factor was the plow had to have a chain to lift it which allows the plow to float on the ground without having to constantly adjust the loader height while plowing. If the plow is rigidly mounted to the QA plate then you either have to keep adjusting the height or use the loader float function. Using the float function is not desirable because it shifts the weight of the loader lift arms to the plow from the front wheels reducing front end traction.

Total money invested is just under $600 which includes the plow, paint, hoses, and crossover relief valve. I probably have about 40 hours into it as well.

To anyone looking to build their own underslung plow I am posting this here so you can steal any of the ideas I used to build mine.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #2  
That's a nice looking job tractorNH.
I would have shortened the arms of the plow so it doesn't stick out front quite so far but your tractor looks to be big enough to handle it.

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount
I would have shortened the arms of the plow so it doesn't stick out front quite so far but your tractor looks to be big enough to handle it.

Thanks. I wouldn't have gained enough to make shortening the plow worthwhile. I am limited by the length of the pistons.

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #4  
Very nice! You checked all the boxes with this plow build... Good price, excellent blade design, rearward mounting, floating blade with chain. You'll have fun learning the best ways to use it and you'll have a wide grin when you see the deep snow rolling off the side as you cruise along. :thumbsup:

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #5  
Yes, very nice! Exactly what I intend to build eventually. Thats a lot of welded pieces though, wonder if the design could be simplified a bit.

Why did you choose that angle to keep your loader curl tilted at when the blade frame is level? I wonder how that would affect stress on the loader when encountering rigid obstacles (beefy looking trip springs there).

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount
Yes, very nice! Exactly what I intend to build eventually. Thats a lot of welded pieces though, wonder if the design could be simplified a bit.

Why did you choose that angle to keep your loader curl tilted at when the blade frame is level? I wonder how that would affect stress on the loader when encountering rigid obstacles (beefy looking trip springs there).

At that angle the bottom edge of the QA plate is level. The angle is also close to the angle on the regular bucket for this tractor when the bucket is sitting flat on the ground. If I had the plate vertical I also wouldn't have much curl left in the cylinders for being able to curl the blade up if I wanted to, like if I'm stacking a snow pile and want to use the blade to push the snow up the mountain of snow.

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #7  
With this heat, I'm ready for some snow:thumbsup:

Nice job TNH!

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #9  
Looks good;very similar to mine but a lot shorter.You will enjoy plowing with this set-up.

/ Snow Plow Build Finished - Underslung QA Loader Mount #10  

Why go through all the trouble of modifying the plow, that’s the whole purpose of building the backset attachment plate, just increase or decrease the backset to place the blade location were you want it compared to the loader arms.