Lawn / Leaf Vacuum

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #1  

C-Range

Advertiser
Tractor
Various
I'm shopping for something to either tow behind or mount onto the 3pt hitch on my JD 2305 SCUT. I have 1 acre of grass with trees and slopes to navigate around.

I am eyeing the Brinly-Hardy and Cyclone Rake systems. I like how the Brinly opens up like a clamshell to dump. I don't like how the Cyclone Rake has a rigid towing mount with caster wheels because of my maze of trees but I do like how it collapses down to almost nothing.

I'd really like something that just goes onto the 3pt hitch like the old MCS systems they made for the 300/400 series lawn tractors.

Note that I do already have the powerflow head and 14 bushel bagging system for my 54" mowing deck, but it fills up too fast for my liking.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #2  
I have a cyclone rake for a craftsman lawn tractor and really like it. I've it for almost 2 years and haven't had any problems with it. The only thing I have noticed is that I can't drive sideways on any hills with it, the mower slides sideways. This is where the weight of a compact tractor will help greatly.

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #3  
I really like my Trac-vac system behind my Kubota BX.I use it hard over 1 1/2 acre's of lawn with plenty of oak and hickory tree's.I don't bother much with grass clipping's unless I get a lot of heavy build up mostly Ton's of leave's in the fall.The steel impellar has never left me down even with driveway stones and a lot of accron's rattling thru it. They also make a 3pt setup

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #4  
Anybody ever see one made for a rear-mount mower?

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #5  
Do you mean to mount on top the mower? Most rear mower decks are not designed to suck up grass and leaves. You would need a deck with enclosures for the blades, and a wind tunnel type flow, and the outer edge of the deck sort of low to keep everything inside except to eject it out the chute, and high lift blades.

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #6  
I too am in the market for a vac that'll actually work. I own a 30" Dixon ZTR that just plugs the chute tube at the first sign of grass. I'm thinking of a home built unit to go on a pull behind trailer to be pulled by the Dixon mower. I get heavy thatch and need to suck up lawn clippings. I have two quater acre lawns that need to be mowed once a week. Can I get just the vacuum motor assembly so I can make my own trailer system? bjr

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #7  
   / Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #8  
I followed that link and did not find any useful data, except he is working on it. Did he ever finish it?

/ Lawn / Leaf Vacuum #9  
I too am in the market for a vac that'll actually work. I own a 30" Dixon ZTR that just plugs the chute tube at the first sign of grass. I'm thinking of a home built unit to go on a pull behind trailer to be pulled by the Dixon mower. I get heavy thatch and need to suck up lawn clippings. I have two quater acre lawns that need to be mowed once a week. Can I get just the vacuum motor assembly so I can make my own trailer system? bjr

I had the Trac-Vac 462Z on the back of my Dixie Chopper, and it did an excellent job, almost to well. It would fill up the 44 gal container in about 10 min.

Yes, you can build one yourself. You will need a 5 to 8 HP engine with 1 in shaft, and the impeller, and housing. and of course the hose and a container. I went through a bunch of motors, due to the dust, etc, and starting and stopping the engine every 10 min. You can find a smooth bore tube for the grass and leaves to travel to the container.

Trac-Vac Product List

Attachments

• z662-2.jpg
    z662-2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5,590
  • z854-3.jpg
    z854-3.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 7,155
Last edited: