Loading hay (pics)

/ Loading hay (pics) #1  

D7E

Veteran Member
Tractor
Versatile 895 Versatile 876 Ford TW20 Ford TW5 MF 3505 FWA MF 390 FWA Ford 7600 Fiat 766 FWA JD 2030 MF 165 MF 35 Fordson major x 3 CAT 416 b Backhoe Case 580 b backhoe MF
Started shipping some hay today.Lovely day for it -20c.

Last edited:
   / Loading hay (pics) #2  
"Lovely day for it -20....."

**** that. I'm praying for more Global Warming.

Great pics........terrible conditions. Nobody should be loading hay in sub-zero temps.........that's a summer-time, heat-stroke inducing pursuit.

**** Canadians.............

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Loading hay (pics) #3  
"Lovely day for it -20....."

**** that. I'm praying for more Global Warming.

Great pics........terrible conditions. Nobody should be loading hay in sub-zero temps.........that's a summer-time, heat-stroke inducing pursuit.

**** Canadians.............

Thats only -4 Fahrenheit. Wait till it's -20 or -30 Fahrenheit. Not a fun time to be out in below zero weather, but if you dress for the occasion it's do able. It sure keeps the blood running though.

Those trucks look like a good wind would blow that load over.

Wedge

/ Loading hay (pics) #4  
Ahhhh, yes, Wedge, if you're use to it (like they are) I'm sure it's just another winter day. Looks bloody miserable though.

Gotta hand it to 'em, those Canucks must have anti-freeze in their veins.........;)

/ Loading hay (pics) #5  
It does look like a fresh clear day out.:D

What size and weight would those bales be?:D

Notice the Radiator covers on the Trucks?:D

/ Loading hay (pics) #6  
Ya have to remember "Its a Dry Cold" :D :D
As look at things like I think what did they do 50 or 75 years ago?

Wedge

/ Loading hay (pics) #7  
Ahhhh, yes, Wedge, if you're use to it (like they are) I'm sure it's just another winter day. Looks bloody miserable though.

Gotta hand it to 'em, those Canucks must have anti-freeze in their veins.........;)

I was talking with one of our Canadian TBN members about that very thing a few years ago. I was saying how tough they must be to handle the very cold weather. His response was that they just wore 3-4 layers of clothing and that they got cold like everyone else. :eek:

/ Loading hay (pics) #8  
D7E, Is that your provincial tree in the one picture? I've heard it's the state tree of North Dakote. :);)

/ Loading hay (pics) #9  
I was talking with one of our Canadian TBN members about that very thing a few years ago. I was saying how tough they must be to handle the very cold weather. His response was that they just wore 3-4 layers of clothing and that they got cold like everyone else. :eek:

3-4 layers?? Try 7 or 8! I'm no Canadian, but I'm very familiar with sub zero temperatures. You can tell when it's zero or below when your nose hairs freeze as you breathe in. In conditions like that I don't go out without at least 7 layers. If I get to doing something real physical, I'll sometimes shed a layer or two, but it takes all 7 layers to keep me warm doing easy stuff. One of those layers is a very heavy wool lined, duck canvas coat with a hood. I'll wear three hats if you count a stocking cap, the hood of my sweatshirt and the hood of my coat.

I love it in winter when Old Crusties in the coffee shop marvel to each other how it warmed up to double digits. Trust me. + 10 F feels nice and warm after a week of 20 below zero F.

Like Wedge40 said, though, "It's a dry cold". I'd rather deal with subzero temperatures that a humid 35 F. Anything less than about 10 below feels all the same.

/ Loading hay (pics) #10  
One time when I was up in Montana, it was 20-30 below for a few days. When it finally warmed up to zero, man you should have heard the people on the radio, talking about no more jackets, just long sleeve shirts. :eek: It was noticeably warmer at 0 vs -30 though.