New GR2110

/ New GR2110 #1  

Old Coot

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3130 --- RTV900--- Yamaha Big Bear 4X4--BX2660
Hi guys, I'm new to this site. I mean I'm new to the Lawn and Garden forum. Been on the RTV site for a while.

I bought a new Kubota GR2110 and they delivered it Friday June 11. It was raining so we couldn't really try it out till Saturday. It would not climb a hill that I always mowed with the old Symplicity two wheel drive. The 2110 didn't spin but just stop before the top and go no farther. Engine did not slow down. Then it started making a loud squeal when you raised the mower deck.

Took it back on Monday. On Friday I called to see when I would get it back. Seems they and Kubota can't figure the problem out. So they said we'll give you another new one.
Got it this Friday and started to mow today. It worked fine for a while. Then it started slowing down and won't climb the hill and started making the same noise when raising the deck.

I think I read somewhere that they had put a HD transmission in the new GR2110. Anyone else heard of problems like this?
I've had a lot of Kubota's a 9200, 2250, L3130, 2004 900RTV and RTV900 Special now with no real problems. Is Kubota slipping?

Last edited:
   / New GR2110 #2  
Hi guys, I'm new to this site. I mean I'm new to the Lawn and Garden forum. Been on the RTV site for a while.

I bought a new Kubota GR2110 and they delivered it Friday June 11. It was raining so we couldn't really try it out till Saturday. It would not climb a hill that I always mowed with the old Symplicity two wheel drive. The 2110 didn't spin but just stop before the top and go no farther. Engine did not slow down. Then it started making a loud squeal when you raised the mower deck.

Took it back on Monday. On Friday I called to see when I would get it back. Seems they and Kubota can't figure the problem out. So they said we'll give you another new one.
Got it this Friday and started to mow today. It worked fine for a while. Then it started slowing down and won't climb the hill and started making the same noise when raising the deck.

I think I read somewhere that they had put a HD transmission in the new GR2110. Anyone else heard of problems like this?
I've had a lot of Kubota's a 9200, 2250, L3130, 2004 900RTV and RTV900 Special now with no real problems. Is Kubota slipping?

Something's not right.It should climb a grade that would pull the front end up big time on the simplicity,or spin out.Can you measure the hill in degrees and how long is the run?

The squeal when you raise the deck is probably normal(relief valve).

/ New GR2110
Thank you for your reply. It is about 40 degrees and 15' long. The Symplicity was a Landlord 20 HP and did have locking differential.
The 2110 can climb it when it is cool. After it warms up good it just stalls out.
The dealer has been talking with Kubota and can't find a solution yet. And I expect a squeal when it hits the top but not while lifting the deck. Again only after it warms up good. What's strange is to have two of them doing the same thing.
I see you have a plow on yours. I don't think this one would push a plow without any snow.

/ New GR2110 #4  
Well,I don't have anything to add short of seeing your property and driving your tractor.There may well be something awry on both of those units.

/ New GR2110
The place is all hills. Here is the one it stalls on.

I'm just glad to hear from another owner and find out what they are supposed to be able to do. The dealer is trying to find the problem.

I like everything else about it. But was beginning to think I should have bought the BX model.

Hill.jpg

/ New GR2110 #6  
The place is all hills. Here is the one it stalls on.

I'm just glad to hear from another owner and find out what they are supposed to be able to do. The dealer is trying to find the problem.

I like everything else about it. But was beginning to think I should have bought the BX model.]

Here's a pic of a simple inclinometer I made to measure the hill I mow.Just a scrap of plywood about 12in tall and 3ft or so to approximate the wheelbase length of the tractor.Then a pencil line parallel to the bottom edge,and a brad to make the pivot for the protractor.Maybe you could whip up something like this to get an exact measurement on that hill.Angles are tough to determine with photographs.

In this video the downhill run is right at 30deg.The tractor will go about 2/3 up that run before it stalls.The run is 16ft.The uphill runs in the video are between 25 up to 30 deg,but shorter.Seems about 10-12ft @ 30deg is when the hydro gives up due to torque multiplication deficiency and forward momentum depletion.Maybe they intentionally designed it this way for safety reasons.I'd love to try out a 4X4 Simplicity or John Deere to compare.

Probably not too late to trade for a BX if you could live with the much larger turning radius and front end push when it's in 4-whl drive.

Attachments

• captureD36.jpg
    captureD36.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
   / New GR2110
Hey, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. I'll show that to my dealer also.

I told you about 40 degrees. I went out and did a couple of checks. The long slope is 32 degrees and the short one nearest the camera is 37 degrees.

You make me feel better. Your the only one I know that I can compare my experience with. Looks like your's and mine are about the same. I was thinking about changing the transmission fluid to the synthetic. Mine seems to slip more when it gets warm, and I thought the synthetic might hold it's viscosity better.

I was a machinist and used a long level and protractor I had from the old days to check the angle. That was the steepest part. The rest of the hill is shorter and not so steep.

I haven't learned to put a video on here yet but glad you have.

Last edited:
   / New GR2110 #8  
At those angles it sounds to me as though it's pretty close to design capability.Fluid change might help a little,but I will tell you mine loses some performance when it heats up,as I think that's normal for most any hydro.

It does puzzle me that your other tractor traversed that same hill.I had an 18HP Landlord previously,that would slide down with good,filled ATX tires,or pull the front end up about halfway up the hill.

/ New GR2110
With the 18 HP you didn't have the locking differential. I had to get the 20 HP to get it. If it broke loose on the way up it would slide back down. I couldn't drive it down the hill because it would slide down like a sled.

Thanks again for the information. I guess I expected to much. I thought with the four wheel drive I'd cruise up there like my RTV does.

/ New GR2110 #10  
Well,I think everyone that owns one of these knows the weak point is the hydro_On the other hand,it's still a good bang for the buck :thumbsup: