cub 2072 thoughts

/ cub 2072 thoughts #1  

highboy1975

Silver Member
as ive posted, i picked up a 2072 about a month back. it was down recently because the deck belt let go. it was my opportunity to borrow my fil's new husqvarna 2554. it has a 25 horse kohler in it. for what i can tell, the kohler magnum turns the 60c deck with more authority than the 25 hp turns the 54. it didn't like going through my long grass at full throttle and didnt handle it like the 2072 did. the 2072 went through it and didnt slow down one bit, while the husqvarna slowed a little. any ideas as to why a 25hp motor couldnt keep up with my 20hp magnum? ive also noticed that the magnum blows the 18hp vanguard that was in my 3185 away. how is this motor only rated at 20hp but feels so strong?

/ cub 2072 thoughts #2  
Better built!!!! Briggs don't have as high of a torque rating as a Kohler!!!!

/ cub 2072 thoughts #3  
In my opinion, it's more to do with the overall build quality and design of the 2072 over the Husqvarna, then the engines. I can tell you the 1992 John Deere GT262 w/ 17hp Kawasaki OHV single we had, had WAAAY more power mowing and throwing snow than the ~1970 Kohler 10hp JD 110 it replaced. The GT262 wasn't nearly the iron beast the 110 was, but it had more mowing/blowing power. IMO, a modern OHV single or twin won't poop out when loaded to the max like an old flat head will. My Case 220 w/ 10hp Kohler-K will fall on it's face when trying to mow tall grass & climb a slight incline at the same time and we're talking a 38" (J40) deck!!! BUT.. it's going on 32yrs old w/ all original mechanicals. There is no modern OHV that would last that long.

Joel

/ cub 2072 thoughts
i figured the overall design and build would have alot to do with it, but the 2072 outmows the 3185 i had too. i guess that department just comes down to tourque of the magnums. i know the 2072 is 10x the machine the husqvarna is, but the 3185 was supposed to be only a slight step down from the supers. the super has lower center of gravity, bigger components, and cuts alot faster and cleaner than the 3185 did. its amazing how things cant do it as well but its supposedly better. i plan on eventually outfitting the 2072 with a small loader, and i never would have trusted the 3k to handle a loader.

/ cub 2072 thoughts #5  
Probably the engine design/model.
You're SGT came with the HD engine, such as today's 2 big Kohler's, the command and courage. The Command is built much sturdier, supposed to last 2000 hrs....the courage, way less than that. Some of it's advertising, they plop a 27 HP motor in a LG tractor and you think "oooh.....big HP = strong tractor" , not always the case!
I've owned a GT 3200 with the 25 Command, and it's a strong tractor. But, no comparison to the 1782 I used to have, not even a fair comparison.
I had it (1782) tricked out with a loader, 3-pt, PTO, and used it pretty hard, it could do some work!

/ cub 2072 thoughts
did you do much with your 3pt? id like to get one of the cat 0 hitches to attach a box blade and a scraper to the tractor. if i come into a good price on a loader, i'd like to get one of those too. i've got no use for the pto, since the only 2 attachments that im aware of are very few and far between.

/ cub 2072 thoughts #7  
did you do much with your 3pt? id like to get one of the cat 0 hitches to attach a box blade and a scraper to the tractor. if i come into a good price on a loader, i'd like to get one of those too. i've got no use for the pto, since the only 2 attachments that im aware of are very few and far between.

Yes, actually I used both. I found a used Cat "o" honda tiller that worked great, and a 4' box blade that also worked great. You just couldn't dig out a full load, but once it was loosened up I could pull a full load of dirt. I had the kwik-way loader, which was also very nice. Definitely an impressive setup.

/ cub 2072 thoughts
thanks for the input. makes me want to get rolling on stuff even more so