15hr CT235 ign switch failure.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
So it poured rain here for about 12 hours, which then turned to snow, leaving an accumulation of about 12". Went out to start the machine this morning to blow the snow, which had spent the night outside in the rain, and the start position on the switch does nothing. Went through all the safety switches, verified that the relays were working, and finally wound up jumping the starter solenoid to get it going. Good thing too because the machine was well frozen to the ground with the blower and bucket down. Would have been a hoot trying to drag it into the shop.

Fine and dandy, but here's the part that I'm confused about. Moved almost all the snow and then went to move the cars around to finish it. Set the parking brake, pto off, stand up to get off the machine, and the friggin thing shuts off... :mad: Not supposed to do that! :confused2: Ninja reflexes save the repeat of the jump start. Someone explain that to me please.

Anyways..... so I finished up, put the machine into the shop for the night, and decide to try the switch again. Of course it works. Of course!

So I soaked the switch with WD40, and we shall see if there is a repeat tomorrow morning.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #2  
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but it sounds like the same thing that happened to me 2 times this winter.
Underneath the right floorboard there is a safety switch for the hydrostat pedal. Under snow and ice conditions it will freeze up in the forward or reverse direction causing the engine to die when you leave the seat. Twice I have found that when I stand up with the parking brake set the engine died.(Just like stepping on the pedal while out of the seat) The contact for the switch is a brass "L" shaped piece of metal that lays flat ( instead of an upright "L"). Does that make sense? Anyway reach up and snap the spring loaded contact back into place and it will crank over.
This is the 2nd time I have read of someone having the same starting problem. I sent the same suggestion then too.
Please advise me if this fixes your problem. JP

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure.
That is a good possibility, because the machine was covered in a nice slushy ice blanket. However I don't believe I would have been able to jump start it if this switch was open. I certainly had to over ride the clutch and seat switches to get it running.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #4  
I have had mine for a couple of years now and have had to jump start it off the starter about 4 times now. I don't know why but with the key in the start position, it won't do anything. Like you, I checked all the safety switches and did a lot of head scratching but can't figure out why it does it. Luckily, I have always been able to jump it at the starter and then it works fine.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #5  
For my future reference, how do you jump it at the starter?

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #6  
Yeah, this tractor has problematic safety switches. I had to jumper
my seat switch right away cuz the engine would die when I would push
hard to release the parking brake. The action would lift me up enough
to open the seat safety.

Sadly, there are other changes to Bobcat's version of the M27 tractor that
was not done to earlier Kioti CK30s. One of those is Kioti's protection
for the starter switch, which keeps water out when not in use. When
Bobcat switched keys, they decided not to keep the plastic cover.

If you want to start the tractor by jumpering the starter HOT terminal
to the START terminal, you can get the engine to crank. But it will not
start unless the fuel solenoid is enabled, and the safety switches keep that
from happening.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure.
For my future reference, how do you jump it at the starter?

With a helper;

Butt in seat, clutch depressed, pto off, throttle set, ign switch turned to 'run'.

Without a helper;

Weight in seat, broom stick on the clutch, pto off, throttle set, ign switch turned to 'run'.

Then use a jumper wire to connect the pos battery terminal to the spade terminal on the starter solenoid. Being carefull not to touch a ground in the process, which is every other metal surface on the tractor. :thumbsup:

I should add; the gear lever should be in neutral, HST or not.

Last edited:
   / 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #8  
My Kioti CK25 ignition switch cover broke off after after a couple years. I was able to get a replacement at the Kioti dealer for about 4$ and I'd guess it would fit the Bobcat as well.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #9  
My Kioti CK25 ignition switch cover broke off after after a couple years. I was able to get a replacement at the Kioti dealer for about 4$ and I'd guess it would fit the Bobcat as well.

Good lookin out:thumbsup: Guess problem solved except for me closest Kioti dealer to me is 100m so that $4 cover just turned into at least $25. I do not have the problem but wouldnt mind gettig it so I dont start(Ha-Ha) having it. Maybe Wallace still has some left over from the old days.

/ 15hr CT235 ign switch failure. #10  
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but it sounds like the same thing that happened to me 2 times this winter.
Underneath the right floorboard there is a safety switch for the hydrostat pedal. Under snow and ice conditions it will freeze up in the forward or reverse direction causing the engine to die when you leave the seat. Twice I have found that when I stand up with the parking brake set the engine died.(Just like stepping on the pedal while out of the seat) The contact for the switch is a brass "L" shaped piece of metal that lays flat ( instead of an upright "L"). Does that make sense? Anyway reach up and snap the spring loaded contact back into place and it will crank over.
This is the 2nd time I have read of someone having the same starting problem. I sent the same suggestion then too.
Please advise me if this fixes your problem. JP

This just happened to me. We got 18" of snow Sunday night and my wife is pregnant and due this week. I was clearing our 250 ft driveway, got off the tractor, it quit and would not turn over. There it was stuck in the driveway, and there would have been no way to get around it if baby decided to come. I ran inside and searched this forum, found this thread, and got it back up and running right away. The baby didn't arrive, and hasn't yet, but if it did this forum and this post could have been a hero:thumbsup: