2520 popping out of 4WD

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #11  
Tom, I used 4wd moving boulders up and down my hill and it never popped out. My lever has a very positive engagement just like the range selector.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD
Tom, I used 4wd moving boulders up and down my hill and it never popped out. My lever has a very positive engagement just like the range selector.

Mine definitely does not feel that way I push it down and the 4wd light comes on but it does not feel like the other levers on the tractor. It just seems lime it is not engaged the whole way, how far off the floor is your lever when engaged? Mine is probably up 2-3" I can check that tonight also...

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #13  
Mine I believe is closer than that to the floor but I would have to measure it to be sure. There is still enough room though that I can disengage with my heel. I definitely feel an engagement.

Sometimes the range selector is picky and needs the pedal pushed to get a solid engagement could this be the case with the 4wd? Just throwing that out there.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #14  
Definately feel solid engagement with the 4X4 lever on my 2520 also.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #15  
Just another post agreeing that the 4wd lever on my 2520 definitely has a "lock-in" feel when it engages. And it takes some effort to disengage it - sometimes it is actually kind of difficult to get it out of 4wd. What you are describing sounds kind of like the feel of the differential lock lever on my 2520 - which is located next to the 4wd lever. Per the manual, it will remain engaged only as long as tire slippage occurs. I usually just find myself holding it down with my heel on the rare occasions where I've needed it - box blading & plowing when it's already in 4wd and the tires are still slipping frequently.

Just another post agreeing that the 4wd lever on my 2520 definitely has a "lock-in" feel when it engages. And it takes some effort to disengage it - sometimes it is actually kind of difficult to get it out of 4wd. What you are describing sounds kind of like the feel of the differential lock lever on my 2520 - which is located next to the 4wd lever. Per the manual, it will remain engaged only as long as tire slippage occurs. I usually just find myself holding it down with my heel on the rare occasions where I've needed it - box blading & plowing when it's already in 4wd and the tires are still slipping frequently.

You are talking about the differential lock lever that you hold down with your heel, I use that all the time also, this other lever with the knob on the end does not feel like it locks into anything solid. The differential lock goes to the floor when I push it down with my heel. Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough on the 4wd lever but I would be afraid to push any harder in fear of bending or breaking something.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #17  
Tom, So far I have put 28 hrs on mine and a lot of the hrs have been with a full bucket going down hill in 4wd. Mine has a 2 definite positions for 2wd and 4wd. I have had no problems with it disengaging.

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #18  
Hi Gobblin Tom,

360 hours on my 2520 and almost 5 years old.
I've never had my tractor pop out of 4wd once it was engaged.
I have had a heavy load (61" bucket full of t-pak) in my bucket going down a hill to lay material for a boat launch.
I use both my 4wd & diff. lock often. I have a very wet spot in my yard that I mow over and when coming up to it I engage 4wd on the fly with my foot and have my heel on the diff. lock once I start to feel the rear wheels slipping. Once throught the wet spot, the diff lock pops up naturally and then I use the heel of my foot to pull up on the 4wd lever to put it back in 2wd on the fly.

If your tractor is in warranty, it's a no brainer...call the dealer.
If not, I'd pony up and have the tractor serviced and have this fixed ASAP as it sounds like you have a possible safety hazard.
When you said you had to drop the bucket quickly to slow yourself down...did you forget to mention that you probably "pooped your pants" right before you dropped the bucket:laughing:?

Ok so I checked under the tractor where the 4wd lever is and there is an electronic button there. There was definitely nothing in the way or preventing it from moving. Does anyone know if that switch is just for the 4wd light? Does that 4wd lever switch something internally? It moved about a half inch from the end of the switch....

/ 2520 popping out of 4WD #20  
Hey Tom,
Man,sorry to hear you're having another problem.
From what guys have said,I too actually "feel" it click or indent or whatever you would call it. It doesn't do a serious lock per say like your range lever does. It is ....I guess subtle,but you can still feel it.

Here are a couple pics with where the lever is engaged and disengaged.

Greg

Attachments

• IMG_1361.JPG
    IMG_1361.JPG
    591.6 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_1362.JPG
    IMG_1362.JPG
    670.4 KB · Views: 325