Planters JD 71 row planter for beans

/ JD 71 row planter for beans #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
Is the JD 71 Flexi planter a good choice for planting fava beans (aka broad beans, field bean, bell bean, tic bean)? If so, which plates and hopper bottoms should be used?

TIA

/ JD 71 row planter for beans #2  
Is the JD 71 Flexi planter a good choice for planting fava beans (aka broad beans, field bean, bell bean, tic bean)? If so, which plates and hopper bottoms should be used?

TIA

71's are great bean planters, but to provide specific plate #'s, you would need to know exact seed sizes. Even with same species of plants, seed sizes can vary. You'll need Width X length x thickness to arrive at specific cell size.

I planted soy beans, green beans, lima beans, and chick peas with my 70's and 71's. I USUALLY used the soy bean plates .

/ JD 71 row planter for beans
71's are great bean planters, but to provide specific plate #'s, you would need to know exact seed sizes. Even with same species of plants, seed sizes can vary. You'll need Width X length x thickness to arrive at specific cell size.

I planted soy beans, green beans, lima beans, and chick peas with my 70's and 71's. I USUALLY used the soy bean plates .

Thanks for the info, FWJ. Fava's come in various sizes up to lima bean size. I'll go shopping for seed in a few weeks and see which varieties are available around here. Planting probably in mid-Nov when the wet season gets going.

/ JD 71 row planter for beans #4  
Go to this site, Lincoln Ag Products . They list the different plates for corn, sunflower, soybean, beets, and sorghum. In each category are plates grouped by cell count, with individual cell sizes, and plate thicknesses. Once you found the seed size you're wanting to plant, you can find the plate with the cell count and cell size that most closely matches it. I would think the regular hoppers would work fine. Like FWJ, I've planted green beans with the soy plate, and giant sunflowers with a corn plate. My regular sunflower plates couldn't hold the large seed, the corn plate works fine.

Attachments

• PlantingSunflowers004.jpg
    PlantingSunflowers004.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 761
   / JD 71 row planter for beans
Go to this site, Lincoln Ag Products . They list the different plates for corn, sunflower, soybean, beets, and sorghum. In each category are plates grouped by cell count, with individual cell sizes, and plate thicknesses. Once you found the seed size you're wanting to plant, you can find the plate with the cell count and cell size that most closely matches it. I would think the regular hoppers would work fine. Like FWJ, I've planted green beans with the soy plate, and giant sunflowers with a corn plate. My regular sunflower plates couldn't hold the large seed, the corn plate works fine.

Thanks for the info.
My next step is to find a JD71 2-row planter. Starting the search locally for used stuff that I can rebuild myself. If no luck there, I'll check out rebuilt units on eBay and other websites.