Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #131  
Does anyone remember doing this? When we were young, my Bothers and I would ride our bicycles searching the ditches and sides of the roads for discarded pop bottles. Some of you may refer to them as soda bottles. That was when soda was sold in bottles instead of plastic containers. We would take the bottles to the store and receive 2 cents apiece for them. When the price reached 5 cents, we thought that we had struck "Gold". BTW, I bought my first Duncan YO-YO by doing this. Fond memories-YES.

I did it too. At one point I lived near a grocery store and people would bring the carts into our apartment complex. I would take the carts back to the store and sometimes, not always, the cashier would give me a nickle or a dime for my effort. The nearby drug store sold Coke in the little 6 or 8 ounce bottles. The Coke machine was a little red upright model with a door that you pulled the bottles out from a holder. That machine is worth a bunch of money today. :laughing:

I "flew" over that area with Google Maps recently and the drug store and grocery store looks to be gone. Our bus stop was at the drug store and I remember they had patched some concrete one day. My friend and I wrote our initials in one afternoon after getting off the bus. :laughing: A lady, looking back it was a girl in her teens :laughing:, working in a store, ran out as she saw us writing in the concrete. Of course, we took off running! :D She said, "Don't run off. I just don't want you ruining my initials!" :laughing::laughing::laughing: I think that patched piece of concrete history is gone now. :(:D

Later,
Dan

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories..
I don't know if Northerners have ever done or heard of this, but I'm sure that many members from the South have. Has anyone put a small bag of salted peanuts in a 6 1/2 ounce bottle of Coke. Or had a "Nehi Orange" soda with a "Moon Pie"?

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #133  
I believe LB is a bit older than I but I remember a local gas war when competing stations had it down to .25 a gallon when I was in college during the early 70's. You can bet where we all went.

MarkV
I think I am .
The gas wars in the days i was speaking of was low as 10 cents a gallon .

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #134  
Does anyone remember doing this? When we were young, my Bothers and I would ride our bicycles searching the ditches and sides of the roads for discarded pop bottles. Some of you may refer to them as soda bottles. That was when soda was sold in bottles instead of plastic containers. We would take the bottles to the store and receive 2 cents apiece for them. When the price reached 5 cents, we thought that we had struck "Gold". BTW, I bought my first Duncan YO-YO by doing this. Fond memories-YES.
We used to live close to a grocery store, just the right distance that when the people that lived on the hill behind us would get a coke and would drink it on the way home that they would usually have it drunk by the time they reached our house and they would throw the bottle beside the road at our fence which made getting bottles to return for deposit plus we gathered bottles along the road at other places also. I remember when we were kids that the milk company farmbest was called foremost dairy co[ I don't know if that is regional or not] but the cartons was paper cardboard and they would have a circle with a star on it with points that you could save and redeem for prizes. We sold papers when we were young and we would pass by several place where folks would throw their trash and each day we could get enough points to get a kite or a yoyo, or you could save them until you had enough that you could redeem them and get a plastic milk truck bank, that was something else that we did. We also saved points out of reasey cups or mellow cups and when you got 500 points you could send off and get 10 bars of candy for them. I bought a bicycle with money that I made selling papers, and I still have it and restored it to it's original state as much as possible it is over 50 years old. I used electrolisis to clean off the rust and it did real well, the chrome on the luggage rack came out nice. I bought new chrome fenders for it but later I intend on derusting the old fenders and putting them back on. A lot of people couldn't understand why I would put out the effort to redo my bike but I got to relive a memory from over 50 years ago and I rode that bike even if it was just for a short distance, what a feeling.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #135  
I don't know if Northerners have ever done or heard of this, but I'm sure that many members from the South have. Has anyone put a small bag of salted peanuts in a 6 1/2 ounce bottle of Coke. Or had a "Nehi Orange" soda with a "Moon Pie"?

We opted for Tom's Toasted Peanuts and a big R.C. Cola! My Mom didn't like that for some reason, but we did it anyway. Another thing I remember, was the movies on Saturday. Dad would take us into town, which happened to be Pierce City Missouri, armed with about 50 cents apiece. We would get into the movie for 10 cents each, and maybe have a small bag of popcorn or a candy bar or maybe a box of Milk Duds and a Coke. On Saturday there was usually a double feature western, a serial like Superman or Bruce Gentry, Sky King or some other thriller that we couldn't afford to miss, and at least one, maybe two cartoons (we called them comedys). After the show we would go to the drugstore next door and have a soda or a malt, or maybe just a dip of icecream, depending on how much we had left after the show.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #136  
One of the things on my "to do" list today is to take my car thru the no-touch car wash. This got me thinking of a job I had when I was 13 or 14 in the mid 70's. I washed cars at the local Exxon service station on Saturdays. There was a cement plant in town and the cement dust would cover your car if you weren't fortunate enough to have a garage to keep it in. That stuff was nasty. It would stick to a cars finish like.....cement. We used toilet bowl cleaner to try to remove it. Worked pretty good if it was done on a weekly basis. The cars back then were huge. We're talking Chrysler Cordobas (fine Corinthean Leather), Chevy Caprices and Monte Carlos (looooong, wide hoods), and Ford LTDs. I forget how much I made per car, but it probably wasn't enough. Now the cement plant is idle and the Exxon station has been turned into a used car lot.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #137  

I used an RC not a Coke for the peanuts. I remember my dad and I were out somewhere in LA hunting. For lunch we stopped in a company town at a store to eat lunch. I need to ask my dad if he remembers and if he stopped in that town just to see a company town. :) Anywho, pretty sure we got an RC, moon pies, and a sandwich. One of us got a Pimento cheese and/or an olive loaf sandwich.

Down in Siler City there is an old farm store called the Farmers Alliance. The store was opened up in the late 1800s by a group of farmers during the time of the Progressive farming movement. I THINK that movement might have had something to do with fighting back against the Duke tobacco monopoly among other issues. Now the store seems to be owned by one or two ladies who are descendents of he founding members. The place is a store and museum at the same time. I walk around looking at all of the old photos that are placed here and there around the store. I don't think they have a photo that was taken after 1990. :laughing: The store has a basement that was used to store fertilizer and the ceiling height down there is not much more than 6 feet and there are beams that are lower so you do have to watch your head when walking around. The basement now has clothes for men but it still reeks of fertilizer. Upstairs is the clothes for women as well as some tools, a real nice collection of seeds, hard to find candy, hoop cheese, and house hold goods.

Our first trip to the Farmers Alliance the kids did not want to go. They moaned and groaned driving to the store even though I told them the place had soda and candy. It only took one visit and now they like to go since they get to pick a glass bottle soda from the ancient soda machines and buy candy that they can't easily get anywhere else. The store has a few chairs and benches to sit on and there is often an old timer sitting there. Last trip I tried to get the kids to try a Moon Pie and an RC but the looked at the Moon Pie and said no way. :laughing::laughing::laughing: They went for the Grape and Orange Nehi. :thumbsup::D

We have made some memories at the old Farmers Alliance. :thumbsup::D I don't know how long the store will hang on but I hope it can keep going.

Later,
Dan

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #138  
One of the things on my "to do" list today is to take my car thru the no-touch car wash. This got me thinking of a job I had when I was 13 or 14 in the mid 70's. I washed cars at the local Exxon service station on Saturdays. There was a cement plant in town and the cement dust would cover your car if you weren't fortunate enough to have a garage to keep it in. That stuff was nasty. It would stick to a cars finish like.....cement. We used toilet bowl cleaner to try to remove it. Worked pretty good if it was done on a weekly basis. The cars back then were huge. We're talking Chrysler Cordobas (fine Corinthean Leather), Chevy Caprices and Monte Carlos (looooong, wide hoods), and Ford LTDs. I forget how much I made per car, but it probably wasn't enough. Now the cement plant is idle and the Exxon station has been turned into a used car lot.

We bought a new Chrysler Cordoba in 1977; it was pretty, but a real lemon (not the soda)...and no, I couldn't afford the genuine Corinthian leather.

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #139  
I remember the R.C. Cola and Moon pies. And the mind is forgetting where but the Moon pie factory is still producing with orginal owners. Unless recently found out they never made the company but the Gov. did.
In grade school the total number students of the 7&8th grade was eight kids. 6 boys and 2 girls. for heat in the winter we carried wood into the class at play time and stacked behind the stove in center of the room.
Teacher was always telling us ALL not to spit tobacco on the stove because of the smell. Playing soft ball during the noon lunch. one of the girls hit a ball into the centerfield and running to 2nd. base was out with the boy placing the ball and glove in a area the girl didn't think proper so she hit him with fist put him flat on his back continued to run and no one challenged the home run.
1949 new GMC School bus when we went to the 9th. grade school had been consolidated so new school and riding it was getting warm and a boy asked if I would raise the window down.?
The candy bar Baby Ruth was a dime for 1/4 lb. and getting old enough to drive a car my Dad came home from town and said he had met to State police and they gave him 2 driver license for my bro and I. No test.
Double dating in a '41 1 ton Dodge log truck and going to out door movie asked to park in back so wouldn't block the view for other drivers.
The cutting of oak stave bolts to make barrows with a cross cut saw with brother. and splitting in quarters and hand loading onto the truck. Then to be told by the coach at the school was to small to be on the foot ball team.
Also the drink of Grapette soda made in Camdon Ark. and still made at location of Malvern Ar. like the nector of gods when could afford a soda. all of 10cents.
If correct the penny of 1900 is the value of about 13 bucks today.
ken

/ Does anyone remember? I do. Share your memories.. #140  
We bought a new Chrysler Cordoba in 1977; it was pretty, but a real lemon (not the soda)...and no, I couldn't afford the genuine Corinthian leather.
Yep, a neighbor had one. Burned lots of oil from day one and ended up getting a new motor installed. Beautiful car though! It was dark blue with a white top and white Corinthean Leather.