Tires L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found
Best discussion of stability I've seen...excellent.

What I'm doing is using a dirt buggy, maybe called a dirt plane, draw bar attached to enlarge a dirt tank. You lower a ground engaging blade, pull forward filling a 3 cubic yard bucket as full as possible, then lift the blade turning the device into a trailer. I am getting between two and 2.5 CU of dirt on average per pull. I lose traction and have to feather the blade up and down during the pull to maintain forward motion and force dirt into the bucket. Then drive to dump location and dump the dirt and return to dig site. Along the way, to and from, there is uneven ground and slopes to navigate...not extreme and I always do it slowly to keep centrifugal force under control.

The paper makes it obvious why a sharp turn makes tractor more tippy....takes a wide front end and moves it more toward the tricycle type front end...narrows the COG stability base line. Further, in my case, in order to get maximum traction from front drive, when I'm pulling straight forward, I'm carrying a load of dirt in the FEL all the time. This does improve traction significantly, at a penalty of moving COG forward, closer to the edge of the COG stability base line.

Being safety aware, that's why I am interested in widening the front stance.

Kuboman, I'm interested in your comment re exponential stresses. Do you have an additional explanation about this? I understand the arc described by the front wheels during a turn. Seems to me that the stresses are as follows..

Rotational from the 4 wd...pulling forward... seems to me that this stress is the same regardless of tire positioning or turn radius.
Rim is bolted tightly to the axle so torque stresses are applied at the same point, reversed or not.

I'm just having a hard time understanding where the exponential stresses are coming from. For purposes of discussion, assuming a 1 foot wide tire encounters a 1 lb stress on its outer edge, then this is a 1 ft/lb stress seen at bearings. Repositioning that same tire such that it is now 2 inches further out from the perceived stress point this turns into a 1.2 foot/lb stress as seen by the bearings, seals, etc...I must be missing something, this seems linear to me.

Note, I'm not hardnosed about this...just wanting to get the most from my tractor under maximum safety conditions...can easily stay with old way...it's just that I've seen numerous discussions where people turned their front tires and this is the first time I've seen serious negatives expressed in 7 years of watching TBN.

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #12  
What I'm doing is using a dirt buggy, maybe called a dirt plane, draw bar attached to enlarge a dirt tank. You lower a ground engaging blade, pull forward filling a 3 cubic yard bucket as full as possible, then lift the blade turning the device into a trailer. I am getting between two and 2.5 CU of dirt on average per pull. .
Here they are called pan scraper or belly scraper or just scraper and are usually much larger then your unit. They have push and pull hook ups so a team of them can help each other load or they can be pushed by a dozer while loading and the dozer rips and softens things up while waiting for the scrapers to deliver their load. Great for large volumes of fine soil to be transported short distances.
You should use some loads to shape up the haul road as a better road will be safer and reduce your cycle time and hence your final cost. Experienced construction companies keep their haul roads graded to highway standards for the fuel and time they are saving is their own.

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found
Yep, that's it...rented from Soil conservation district...$50 a day...less than the cost of diesel...I go thru 10 to 15 gallons daily when I can put in six plus hours.
Wish I had two tractors and two drivers...one to rip up ground, other to drive scraper...there's just me, so scraper has to do all the work. Too arduous to swap between scraper and ripper multiple times a day.

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #14  
Best discussion of stability I've seen...excellent.

What I'm doing is using a dirt buggy, maybe called a dirt plane, draw bar attached to enlarge a dirt tank. You lower a ground engaging blade, pull forward filling a 3 cubic yard bucket as full as possible, then lift the blade turning the device into a trailer. I am getting between two and 2.5 CU of dirt on average per pull. I lose traction and have to feather the blade up and down during the pull to maintain forward motion and force dirt into the bucket. Then drive to dump location and dump the dirt and return to dig site. Along the way, to and from, there is uneven ground and slopes to navigate...not extreme and I always do it slowly to keep centrifugal force under control.

The paper makes it obvious why a sharp turn makes tractor more tippy....takes a wide front end and moves it more toward the tricycle type front end...narrows the COG stability base line. Further, in my case, in order to get maximum traction from front drive, when I'm pulling straight forward, I'm carrying a load of dirt in the FEL all the time. This does improve traction significantly, at a penalty of moving COG forward, closer to the edge of the COG stability base line.

Being safety aware, that's why I am interested in widening the front stance.

Kuboman, I'm interested in your comment re exponential stresses. Do you have an additional explanation about this? I understand the arc described by the front wheels during a turn. Seems to me that the stresses are as follows..

Rotational from the 4 wd...pulling forward... seems to me that this stress is the same regardless of tire positioning or turn radius.
Rim is bolted tightly to the axle so torque stresses are applied at the same point, reversed or not.

I'm just having a hard time understanding where the exponential stresses are coming from. For purposes of discussion, assuming a 1 foot wide tire encounters a 1 lb stress on its outer edge, then this is a 1 ft/lb stress seen at bearings. Repositioning that same tire such that it is now 2 inches further out from the perceived stress point this turns into a 1.2 foot/lb stress as seen by the bearings, seals, etc...I must be missing something, this seems linear to me.

Note, I'm not hardnosed about this...just wanting to get the most from my tractor under maximum safety conditions...can easily stay with old way...it's just that I've seen numerous discussions where people turned their front tires and this is the first time I've seen serious negatives expressed in 7 years of watching TBN.

The farther you move the tire from the center of rotation (the king pin) the higher the forces are on the axle components. The ideal location is to have the king pin in the center of the tire. Kubota tries to accomplish this as best they can by rim offset. Just imagine if you moved the tire out several feet, an exaggeration I know but the extra forces on the axle would surely cause a failure in no time. Also there is extra force applied to the steering mechanism. IE, ties rods, steering gears etc.

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #15  
The farther you move the tire from the center of rotation (the king pin) the higher the forces are on the axle components. The ideal location is to have the king pin in the center of the tire. Kubota tries to accomplish this as best they can by rim offset. Just imagine if you moved the tire out several feet, an exaggeration I know but the extra forces on the axle would surely cause a failure in no time. Also there is extra force applied to the steering mechanism. IE, ties rods, steering gears etc.
Words like surely are easy to say but I prefer to do the math. Lets look at a static diagram of a tractor front end with the tire set six feet wide . Lets set the load of the front of the tractor on the king pin at 3000 lbs including the weight of the axle and what share comes to the front axle from the load in the bucket. Then add in 300 lbs for each tire and rim centered three feet from the king pin. Now consider if we hold the right tire ridgely and remove the support from under the left tire what are the rotational forces placed on the flange of the right tire. I get 3000 *3 ft plus 300*6 feet for a total of 10,800 ft lbs of torque. Now set out the tires to a full eight feet. I get 3000 *3 feet (the flange to king pin distance didn't change) plus 300* 7 feet ( rt. flange to center left tire load) for a total of 11,100 ft lbs or a 3% increase.
I see nothing surly about a 3% increase causing a failure. Do you?

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #16  
There is going to be more wear on the front axle components as most of the guys have stated.
But there is no way this is going to provide more stability, especially if you add dirt in the bucket. Here's why.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...6-does-weight-fel-give-you-5.html#post3007695

Up to the point the tractor has tipped enough to hit the limit of the rocking on the axle, it provides no stability whatsoever.

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #17  
Hey man do what you will, just hope when you have a failure you lets all us skeptics know.:thumbsup:

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #18  
Usually the owner's manual says whether or not you can safely do this. Here's the page from mine, for an L3400.. you'll also see that they make a reference to tapered or non-tapered holes in the rim. Mine are not tapered, and have washers under the flat side of the nut against the rim.

DSC01539.JPG

Sean

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #19  
There will always be someone willing to take a chance that the original equipment has an engineering safety allowance that will let them do something contrary to the owners manual...
Do as you will, but any additional loading on parts, with no gain, makes no sense to me.... and I have done many things that have exceeded recommended limits... I just don't do it when there is no real gain. and I know that just because I have not experienced a failure while doing it, I should not be surprised by shortened life of stressed parts...
If replacing parts is not a problem then it should be of no concern ...

With a wider stance on the front it will Always have additional forces on all front end components... Not just when you are operating at load limits... Things will always wear out... some times faster than other times.... and sometimes you can control just how quickly you are racing toward that failure.

/ L5030, increase stability by widening front end tires??? Not sure, difficulties found #20  
My manual says not to. My dealer says not to.

Like said, tractor pivots at the center of front axle, so it wont help any way...