The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #21  
Preface: I'm not planning on overloading the truck, I'm just curious.

I'm getting ready to move soon, so I'm looking at renting a moving truck, trucks like these that have stated GVW's at or just 26,000 lbs.:

22 ft. - 26 ft. Diesel Non-CDL Cargo Vans - Penske Truck Rental
https://www.budgettruck.com/moving-trucks.aspx

As I understand it, driving a truck with a GWV over 26000 lbs. requires a CDL, but as an engineer I know that things don't often come out to nice round numbers like 26,000. So is the GVW on these trucks understated so that they can be driven without a CDL?

That is, are these the same as a nearly-identical truck that requires a CDL and has a higher GVW?
to answer your question, the GVW is based on the ratings of all the trucks components, such as tires, springs and axle ratings. You could have a truck built with a 9000 lb. front axle and a 17,000 lb. rear axle but if the buyer chose to put lighter spec tires on it that were not rated for those loads, the truck would only be rated to the max tire load ratings.

I do believe however that a manufacturer can rate the truck for a lesser rating than is called for by the components just so you can get by with a non-CDL driver. for example a Ford F-750 is typically a 33,000 gvw class 7 truck. You will often see new 750's advertised with 26,000 lb. ratings. Bottom line, truck's components are probably heavier but the attraction is you can get away with a non-CDL driver.

One other interesting thing-next time you pass a Penske 24' box truck, check out the GVW posting on the door. I do believe most willsay 25,999 lbs. I believe they do that to avoid the BS of some cops who will say 26,000 IS CDL- not OVER 26,000.

And as someone else pointed out, most vehicles can easily handle weights well above the factory plate rating. Case in point, in my "youth" I drove an International 6 wheel dump. The truck had a factory GVW plate of 24,000 lbs. I used to routinely CARRY 12 ton of asphalt! Had a 345 V-8, 5spd/2spd rear. Would fly! Stopping? Now that was another story.

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #23  
Preface: I'm not planning on overloading the truck, I'm just curious.

I'm getting ready to move soon, so I'm looking at renting a moving truck, trucks like these that have stated GVW's at or just 26,000 lbs.:

22 ft. - 26 ft. Diesel Non-CDL Cargo Vans - Penske Truck Rental
https://www.budgettruck.com/moving-trucks.aspx

As I understand it, driving a truck with a GWV over 26000 lbs. requires a CDL, but as an engineer I know that things don't often come out to nice round numbers like 26,000. So is the GVW on these trucks understated so that they can be driven without a CDL?

That is, are these the same as a nearly-identical truck that requires a CDL and has a higher GVW?

When driving a truck for personal reasons as you are, a CDL is not required. This is my understanding of DOT regulation. This is true regardless of GVRW.

Any truck(or car) regardless of weight rating requires a CDL when used for commercial purposes. I learned this the hard way in during a random roadside DOT inspection in Missouri(learned I needed a Class-A due to my truck and trailer ratings). The misunderstanding of a truck under 26k lbs is common from my observations. Maybe laws were different years ago.
There is an excellent manual for employers from an organization called Motor Carrier Services Division that will answer all questions. The manual is titled something like Safety Compliance Manual.

Tangent: I'm assuming you don't have much large truck driving experience if any. I want to volunteer the following advice:
-You're going to be slow and big. Other non truck drivers will have no patience for you. Be aware of this when merging and changing lanes. Nothing can make a car 100' behind speed up like a big truck using a blinker to change lanes.
-Ensure cargo is secure. No one ever gets killed or hurt from over securing cargo... Just frustrated.
- I'm not at my office to ensure my memory of titles are correct and name, but I wouldn't hesitate to lookup and call Stef Copeland. She was the MoDOT investigator who handled my case.

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck
When driving a truck for personal reasons as you are, a CDL is not required. This is my understanding of DOT regulation. This is true regardless of GVRW.

Any truck(or car) regardless of weight rating requires a CDL when used for commercial purposes. I learned this the hard way in during a random roadside DOT inspection in Missouri(learned I needed a Class-A due to my truck and trailer ratings). The misunderstanding of a truck under 26k lbs is common from my observations. Maybe laws were different years ago.
There is an excellent manual for employers from an organization called Motor Carrier Services Division that will answer all questions. The manual is titled something like Safety Compliance Manual.

Tangent: I'm assuming you don't have much large truck driving experience if any. I want to volunteer the following advice:
-You're going to be slow and big. Other non truck drivers will have no patience for you. Be aware of this when merging and changing lanes. Nothing can make a car 100' behind speed up like a big truck using a blinker to change lanes.
-Ensure cargo is secure. No one ever gets killed or hurt from over securing cargo... Just frustrated.
- I'm not at my office to ensure my memory of titles are correct and name, but I wouldn't hesitate to lookup and call Stef Copeland. She was the MoDOT investigator who handled my case.

To reply to your tangent: It's been a decade, but I spent a summer during college in Myrtle Beach, SC driving a straight body reefer, delivering ice. The largest trucks I drove were rated for 26,000 and had air brakes. I'm not exactly what you'd call a speed demon on the road, and I'm used to impatient drivers; I drive either an Odyssey (and occasionally tow with it) or a naturally aspirated '83 MB 300D, which weighs about the same as the minivan but with 79 horses. I've been driving a moving truck every few months because I've been moving cross country every few months for the last few years. Your advice is appreciated, though.

Another tangent: I'm a bit curious about what constitutes commercial purposes, then, since I don't know any plumbers or electricians with CDL's. So what's commercial use? Those guys? When I drive across the country on TDY and get $0.55/mile?

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #25  
Then you will have someone driving a huge motor home or towing a boat on a 3-axle trailer with a standard license.

Know one guy with an old motor home he hollowed out and put a ramp in back... used it to haul everything and never stopped at a wheigh station...

It's too bad the rules just can't be simpler to understand...

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #26  
Just so ya know...

Picture 003.jpgPicture 001.jpgPicture 002.jpg

That was the moving van with a GVW of about 26000 lbs (or a bit more) when we moved to Vermont.
By the time they were done, you couldn't even see the tractor or mower.

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #27  
To reply to your tangent: It's been a decade, but I spent a summer during college in Myrtle Beach, SC driving a straight body reefer, delivering ice. The largest trucks I drove were rated for 26,000 and had air brakes. I'm not exactly what you'd call a speed demon on the road, and I'm used to impatient drivers; I drive either an Odyssey (and occasionally tow with it) or a naturally aspirated '83 MB 300D, which weighs about the same as the minivan but with 79 horses. I've been driving a moving truck every few months because I've been moving cross country every few months for the last few years. Your advice is appreciated, though.

Another tangent: I'm a bit curious about what constitutes commercial purposes, then, since I don't know any plumbers or electricians with CDL's. So what's commercial use? Those guys? When I drive across the country on TDY and get $0.55/mile?

According to my understanding plumbers, pizza delivery, and even house maids require a CDL (class C most likely). However what the law is and what is enforced are two different things. Maybe they direct their finite resources on big fish.

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #28  

Any truck(or car) regardless of weight rating requires a CDL when used for commercial purposes.

These 2 statements are completely inaccurate.

/ The "real" capacity of a 26000 lbs. GVW moving truck #30  
Another tangent: I'm a bit curious about what constitutes commercial purposes, then, since I don't know any plumbers or electricians with CDL's. So what's commercial use?

(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)輸ny combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).
(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)輸ny single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.
(3) Small Vehicle (Group C)輸ny single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

Commercial motor vehicle groups. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration