Hantavirus

/ Hantavirus #1  

tcartwri

Elite Member
Tractor
CT235
An acquaintance of my sister in law just passed away from this nasty little virus. Now everyone in contact with his property is being tested including the SIL and her partner.

Be vigilant in cleaning up your shops and barns and keep the critters out as much as possible. If you have seldom used buildings or abandoned sheds etc where they can build nests... be wary.

Worst thing about it, is that it presents itself as a cold or flu, but can kill you in less than 48 hours without prompt intervention.

/ Hantavirus #2  
I am sorry for the loss.

I know this virus very well. Unfortunately, most people have no idea that it exists and how one catches it. It is a rural virus and it is spread by the Deer Mouse. It is caught by cleaning up mouse feces, urine, saliva. It is an air borne virus and any dust particles that are carrying it can be inhaled. Once you breathe in the infected particles, the virus will take 10-20 days to emerge but once it does the flu like symptoms will kill you via means of drowning in your own fluid and cardiac arrest. The mortality rate is 50% and that is with emergency room care. Without it, the mortality rate is 100%. There is NO cure for the virus, only treatment of the lungs and heart by putting you on a breathing machine.

I almost caught the virus out in Colorado when I was cleaning out a basement that had Deer Mice. I was not aware of the virus and learned the dangers after I was exposed. My neighbor down the street was not so lucky, he died from the HantaVirus.

Do a Google search and read up on it. It is a rural virus because Deer Mice are not an urban phenomena.

/ Hantavirus #3  
Tim, that is a nasty "bug", when we lived in Colorado, we where always aware of the potential exposure. Dont know how widespread it is, but several people died or got real sick from it each year in the 4 corners region. Transferred by mice droppings IIRC

/ Hantavirus
This happened in Whitehorse Yukon, and the Sister in Law has a form of emphysema which makes it double jeopardy. She will be under some serious scrutiny for a while, as she was the one giving this fellow his initial care when became sick.

/ Hantavirus #6  
Dang, I looked it up...didn't know it was in Texas also...37 deaths reported. I even think I've caught some of the mice in my mouse traps!

Hantavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Better late than too late, as in RIP. I vacuumed up Deer Mouse droppings and later found out about the HantaVirus. It was a very unnerving 2-3 weeks. Neighbor down the street ended up dying from HantaVirus after he cleaned out his shed and it had Deer Mouse droppings in it.

Knowledge is power and in this case, it can save your life!

/ Hantavirus #7  
Is this a common disease up here in Canada? Ive never heard of a case here in NS. I always thought it was more associated with the southern states?

/ Hantavirus #8  
Anyplace you got Deer Mice there is the probability.

Note: Bat droppings can also cause medical problems.:(

/ Hantavirus #9  
man am i glad i have like 10 cats... finally good for something.. :)

/ Hantavirus
Is this a common disease up here in Canada? Ive never heard of a case here in NS. I always thought it was more associated with the southern states?

They claim anything west of Ontario, but the house mice we have here look exactly like the deer mouse that's the biggest carrier. I tore down an old chicken coop two summers ago and I had a full respirator and heavy leather gloves on for most of it. Still spent allot of time in the dust plumes as it was coming down.