Your last generator Maintenance Run

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run
The best maintenance I have done in the last year was finding a "Fast Track" near me that has non ethanol gas for all my small engines.

I stumbled on a thread here a while back..... can't remember the name of the company, but there is at least one business that seems to do quite well mail-ordering boutique non-E and high performance gas. Yes, some of these guys were the racer/ProComp Chainsaw guys that you'd expect, but more than a few were just fairly regular (but obviously mechanically aware) guys that got fed up with fixing ethanol induced small motor problems.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #12  
I stumbled on a thread here a while back..... can't remember the name of the company, but there is at least one business that seems to do quite well mail-ordering boutique non-E and high performance gas. Yes, some of these guys were the racer/ProComp Chainsaw guys that you'd expect, but more than a few were just fairly regular (but obviously mechanically aware) guys that got fed up with fixing ethanol induced small motor problems.

Rgds, D.

Ahh, I think I see what you are getting at. But, for those who don't happen to live near a race track, "Fast Track" gas stations carry non E Gas. There is a website out there for those interested that post all the places in each state that Non E Gas can be bought. It's out there. The list is large. Before this Ethanol, I never had to do much with my small engines. Change oil and spark plugs. That's about it. I have owned chainsaws, generators, lawn mowers and you name it. NEVER had a problem like we started seeing in the last 10 years. That E stuff is good enough in your car. But if you can get the Non E for your small engines, it's well worth it.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #13  
I do all this stuff 4 times a year. House water filter, generator, furnace filter, ect.

Chris

Ahh, I think I see what you are getting at. But, for those who don't happen to live near a race track, "Fast Track" gas stations carry non E Gas. There is a website out there for those interested that post all the places in each state that Non E Gas can be bought. It's out there. The list is large. Before this Ethanol, I never had to do much with my small engines. Change oil and spark plugs. That's about it. I have owned chainsaws, generators, lawn mowers and you name it. NEVER had a problem like we started seeing in the last 10 years. That E stuff is good enough in your car. But if you can get the Non E for your small engines, it's well worth it.

Understood now; previously I thought you were talking about race fuel. I've got my fingers crossed that I can keep getting Efree gas around here.

This is the company I was talking about earlier - the thread I found them on a few months back had plenty of happy customers.

FAQ - VP-SEF.com - Small Engine Fuels formulated by the "Mad Scientist"

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #15  
I run my genset about once a month and always load it using a portable ceramic 1000 watt heater.
Loading is important as a real test as well as it gets the genset hotter faster.
Heating the engine is necessary to 'boil out' any water vapors that are the cause of internal corrosion and acids.
Loading also allows the core to remagnetise.

I run my genset about once a month and always load it using a portable ceramic 1000 watt heater.
Loading is important as a real test as well as it gets the genset hotter faster.
Heating the engine is necessary to 'boil out' any water vapors that are the cause of internal corrosion and acids.
Loading also allows the core to remagnetise.

Agreed. I like to use my large shop vac for the reasons you mentioned, and also to hit the gen with a step inductive load - like to check with that, before I have to use something critical like a sump pump in an emergency.

Rgds, D.

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #17  
My father n law has several small engines, the ones like his gen., he will start once a month and run a while. This is a good reminder thread. LUTT

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #18  
Agreed. I like to use my large shop vac for the reasons you mentioned, and also to hit the gen with a step inductive load - like to check with that, before I have to use something critical like a sump pump in an emergency.

Rgds, D.

Can you explain to a plain ol' country boy what "a step inductive load is"? :)

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #19  
Good reminder.......I have a 5700 watt portable generator that I try to start up about once a month when i remember. She started fine today......thanks for the reminder.:thumbsup:

/ Your last generator Maintenance Run #20  
I have a very old 8HP 3500 approx. watt generator and as long as I run the Marathon gas with no ethanol:thumbsup:,I never have a problem even up to a year's storage.
Of course,I keep it in the basement,not out in the cold,which DOES make a difference.
Funny thing,a coupla' years ago, it WOULDN'T start.:mad:Finally found the culprit.......a shorted kill/on switch. New switch,no problems.
I always run a generator slightly overfilled on good synthetic oil. More generators have bitten the dust because of low oil than any other cause,it seems to me. don-ohio :)^)
Good reminder.......I have a 5700 watt portable generator that I try to start up about once a month when i remember. She started fine today......thanks for the reminder.:thumbsup: