Anyone make a spline alignment tool?

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #1  

Dan Hunter

Platinum Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro
Yep, that's it. I'd like a tool that aligns the PTO to the coupler on the mower so when I do try to bring them together it's an easy fit. Is there such thing?

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #2  
Large screwdriver through the u-joint so you can turn the shaft?

Bruce

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #3  
It's easier for me to bring the PTO shaft into contact with the tractor's output shaft, then spin the tractor's output shaft with my fingers till the PTO shaft slides on. And I NEVER get near the PTO if the tractor is running, whether the PTO is engaged or not.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #4  
The bushhog is the worse to couple. I've found that the female spline is centered on the push button. So I always turn the tractor shaft to line up a male spline with the center of the female spline.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #5  
As Chim said, turn the tractors PTO stub shaft, not the implement shaft. The PTO stub will easily spin in it's normal direction of rotation. If you have a mid mount PTO as well, select it and the rear PTO stub will spin either way. At least it does on my JD. And shut the tractor off first!

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #6  
Before aligning the shaft on my bush hog I always give the end of the pto shaft and the splines of the drive line a shot of PB Blaster or WD40 to make everything slide a little easier. I also give the button on the coupler of the drive line a good shot too to free it up. The tractor is always shut off. JP

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool?
I love this site. You folk are great.

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #8  
I can align your spine, but not your spline! Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #9  
Just curious, my big tractor, Kubota L4610, I can spin the pto stub to line up the splines. On my little tractor, Kubota B2630, you cannot spin the pto stub by hand to align the splines.

The B2630 is an all hydraulic tractor and whatever I do, putting everything in neutral, the shaft will not spin by hand. I have to use the big screwdriver method or spin a blade on the implement. This makes it harder to hook up a pto implement.

I have owned several tractors but this is the only tractor I have owned that I cannot spin the pto stub. Is this the nature of the beast on these all hydraulic models or am I overlooking something?

/ Anyone make a spline alignment tool? #10  
Just curious, my big tractor, Kubota L4610, I can spin the pto stub to line up the splines. On my little tractor, Kubota B2630, you cannot spin the pto stub by hand to align the splines.

Most modern tractors have brakes on the PTO. Both my Case DX45 and Kubota L39 have PTO brakes. They are spring apply so they are engaged whenever the PTO is disengaged or the tractor is not running.