Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #181  
Badtiedown.jpg

From CL.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #182  

Let me preface by saying that I work for an insurance company. I have been told that a huge percentage of the vehicles that we total out and sell through a nation-wide salvage auction end up going south of the border. That being said, I encountered a group of similar vehicles headed south on US 81/I 35 in Kansas about a month ago.
I first passed a car flat towing another one, and noticed some kind of paper "license plate" on the back vehicle. A few miles later, I passed two SUV's hooked up, and then later, three cars tied together like this. A little bit later, I got to the freeway where the speed limit kicked up and there were two more cars tied together following a semi in the right lane. I pulled out to pass and the person driving the cars decided he should cut in front of me and pass that semi before I did. Problem was, he couldn't pedal fast enough to go the speed limit, or even make much headway passing the semi. Since I was a bit irritated at his stunt, I "drafted" him as he tried to pass the semi while going a scant 1-2 mph faster that the semi was. This worked for a little while until hunks of plastic and stuff started flying off of one of the cars and almost hit me. I backed off a bit until he got past the semi, then I nailed it and passed both of them. As I passed the cars, I saw that the towing car appeared to be a handful to drive as it seemed to be wobbling and bouncing, the hood was tied down with rope, and a good chunk of the grill etc was gone.
A ways later, I overtook what I assume was the "bosses" vehicle, a well worn Ford Excursion with Mexico plates. He's pulling one of those basic $1000 rail top flatbed utility trailers with two motorcycles crosswise on the front of the bed, a car loaded on behind that, and he's flat towing another vehicle hooked to the back of the trailer.
After seeing this, I surmise that they come north loaded up in the Excursion along with a supply of tow bars, bungee cords, duct tape, etc. They pair up their vehicles and run a convoy back south.
A few miles after passing the "boss", I had to make a quick pit stop. Soon after re-entering the interstate, I see the "boss" pulled off the side of the road with a big cloud of steam or smoke coming out of the Excursion. I wasn't sure if I should laugh at this redneck fiasco, or be mad that they may very well be endangering the motoring public.

After seeing this, I have to wonder how in the world they flat tow a front wheel drive or all wheel drive vehicle.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #183  
This was about 10 years ago when I was building my house. I was hauling 26,,, 2X12x24 foot long on a 12 foot tandem axel trailer and a 8 foot single axel trailer behind it. Pulling it with a chevy 1/2 ton. Pulling wasn't hard, turning and stopping is another story.

Attachments

• image-2388508926.jpg
    image-2388508926.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 1,667
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #184  
Didnt read through the whole thread, but..:

Moving-miscue-boat-towing-RV-truck.jpg

And my favorite..

GET_R_DUN_009.jpg

Attachments

• Jj1Lz.jpg
    Jj1Lz.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,042
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #186  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #187  
Didnt read through the whole thread, but..:

View attachment 350418

And my favorite..

View attachment 350420

Actually, the idea of hauling a trailer isn't so bad, as long as it isn't loaded. I've often wondered if there would be some effective way to load and haul your empty trailer to save the bouncing and swaying, and then set it down and hook it up when you're ready to haul something.
I have always been fascinated with the way logging trucks do that very thing.
logtruck.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #188  
Actually, the idea of hauling a trailer isn't so bad, as long as it isn't loaded. I've often wondered if there would be some effective way to load and haul your empty trailer to save the bouncing and swaying, and then set it down and hook it up when you're ready to haul something.
I have always been fascinated with the way logging trucks do that very thing.
View attachment 350459

I'm guessing the on-site grapple loaders load and unload the rear axles?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #189