Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy
Thanks for the help, you have me definitely suspecting the plugs. I have always use the 10 seconds from the manual as well in cold weather, this time around I increased to the 60 seconds I've read elsewhere. Looks like I'll be checking the plugs.

Thanks again, very helpful for a rookie.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy
I have an older model B ... the B9200. It has no timer on the gloplugs. They are on until turn the key over to the start position. I find myself wanting to re glo a while right after a cold start, but you cant.

I tried to re-glow as well, and figured out the same! I have to bring some electricity over to the shed, as right now I am running a 100' extension cord, so the hairdryer would more than likely pop a breaker.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #23  
An indication of a burnt glow plug could be,,
lots of white smoke after start-up, usually goes away after warmed up.
The white smoke is unburned fuel from that cylinder.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #24  
I think they're relatively easy to replace and do have a service life so I'd start there. Not sure how you test them, but guessing it may be a resistance type electrical test. Its worth noting that our temps in MA though cold this year are not seriously cold when given the operating locations these tractors are used in. There should be no real issues even without a block heater starting and running these machines in our temps (consider how many folks in the Midwest and Canada use the same spec machines in extreme cold). They generally don't come with a block heater because they generally won't need one (not that it will hurt).

A cheaper alternative may be to use one of those magnetic block heaters for the few days of real cold we get...

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #25  
I've been extending the glow plug cycle up to 20 seconds with a couple of repetitions. It has been around zero to single digits here in N NJ. Not sure if that reduces the life of the glow plugs? I put in the block heater and use a battery tender as my BX2660 is parked outside. It made a big difference and as I read on here, it makes the little tractor a lot happier starting (and will hopefully extend the engine life and prevent damage). I started treating my fuel (5 gal. cans) in the fall with an additive that was supposed to prevent gelling, but it didn't, either because the temps fell too far or I did not use enough for the lower temps. Yesterday I used some Power Service 911 and changed the two filters, and filled the tank with treated fuel. This morning it started up after being on the block heater for about 40 minutes, and short cycle on the glow plugs. I was also storing the fuel in a shed, so for this cold snap I've moved those two five gallon cans to the basement (which I don't like, & I'm sure my wife won't like when she goes down there!) But gotta keep that driveway clear so we do what we have to do.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #26  
I tried to re-glow as well, and figured out the same! I have to bring some electricity over to the shed, as right now I am running a 100' extension cord, so the hairdryer would more than likely pop a breaker.
As long as its a 15A or better breaker it wont pop. Socket ends of ext cords often arent too good tho and make poor connection. They then heat up and self destruct under a 10A sustained load typical of what a dryer draws. We only need short term heat tho ... less than 5 min during start and initial run. All you need is the hair dryer to try it. Voltage will be a bit low at 100' but youll get significant warmed air anyway.
larry

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #27  
   / Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #28  
   / Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #29  
Also watch this here at 2-00 minutes.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwblJEvmZeQ&feature=youtube_gdata_playe
You need one minute of preheating on a Kubota is a different machine than others.

This is a radiator hose heater. You can install one very easy if you are relying on your machine to plow snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxkJOCivAtA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Do not buy the Katz brand. Ever start are built much better. I'm a full time truck mechanic. Freeze plug type block heaters can be tough to install. The radiator hose option is great in the highest wattage. Ever start is a great brand but make sure you install vertical and get one that is exact to your hose size for a perfect fit. Orielly and Napa are the best place to get block heaters but others will have them as well.

If you go for a freeze plug type they work slightly better. A little harder to install but either one will help you. My 1/2 ton ford starts like its +50 ーf outside when plugged in sometimes. It makes a large difference when its bellow 0ーf

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #30  
Riiiiight. That's why the glowplugs on our BX2660 and L3830 automatically turn off after 10-15 seconds...
Apparently he hasn't heard of fast glow plugs or tractors (like the B7500) where the glow plug position is between "On" and "Start"

Aaron Z

Older kubotas were not automaticly engauged. Simple way to get this straightened out. If your machines glow plugs are engauged automatically on a timer than YES by all means go with the timer.

If manually engaging them its depending on the temperature and how long the owner thinks. The first initial glow plug preheat should be longest, followed by a shorter time after cranking and the tractor does not start