Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy
Running T5 which is 5W30. Thanks for confirming my operation is correct and I will look into what type of heater. Those reviews for the inline coolant one are pretty poor :thumbdown:

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #12  
Are you sure you're cycling the glow plugs correctly? I don't have a Kubota, but to cycle the glow plugs on my tractor the key is turned backwards until the glow plug light goes out (six seconds): as soon as the light on the dash goes out, I release the key. In real cold weather, I repeat the process twice. As soon as the light goes out the second time I turn the key to start the engine.
My tractor has started without the using the block heater in much colder temperatures than you mentioned. The block heater certainly makes starting easier, especially now that the battery is getting old.
If you have the manual, check it to see what the cold weather starting directions say.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #13  
60 seconds seem's to be long for me.
I would bring this down to about, 10 seconds, but do it for about five cycles.
After the fifth cycle, start er up.
You may have a burnt glow plug or two by the sounds of it.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #14  
I have a b2620 that I installed a block cooler in. The freeze plug came out really easily on my tractor. The whole job took maybe 20 min. Granted my tractor had 30 hours on it but try to give yours a spin. You might find it comes out no problem.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #15  
The lowest temps we've had here when going to start the tractor have been around 0*F. Temps in the teens and low 20'sF are a lot more common. For the last 22 years I've never had a tractor that wouldn't start due to cold and never used any heaters. The Ford has an indicator on the dash with a small hole and a small element behind the bezel that looks like you could light a cigarette from it when the tractor is ready to crank. I never timed the Ford, but think it takes about 20 seconds or do.

The current Kubota and its predecessor use indicator lights. Between 10 and 15 seconds of glow plugs does the trick, and without much cranking. I buy mostly on-road diesel in colder weather plus add about half the recommended anti-gel. At the lowest temps the engines run a little rough for the first 5-10 seconds then smooth out.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #16  
Also, if your tractor is a gear model hold the clutch in when starting so that your not spinning the trans in cold oil, after it starts and is running smooth, slowly let out the clutch..you will hear the engine pull down.

Cold oil puts a lot of drag on the motor.

This is very true. You can hear the difference in cranking speed with the clutch in versus out.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #17  
I use the glow plugs for 10 seconds on mine when its very cold then start. I haven't had any chugging and it starts very quickly. I then let it idle at around 1500 rpm for 10 minutes while i shovel to get the hydraulics warmer.

You may want to make sure the glow plugs are actually working...

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy
I use the glow plugs for 10 seconds on mine when its very cold then start. I haven't had any chugging and it starts very quickly. I then let it idle at around 1500 rpm for 10 minutes while i shovel to get the hydraulics warmer.

You may want to make sure the glow plugs are actually working...

Hmmmm, now you have me wondering. Thanks.

To confirm, the glow plug never actually goes "out" on mine until I release it from that position. Is this normal? The user's manual severely lacks but I'll give it a look again.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #19  

To confirm, the glow plug never actually goes "out" on mine until I release it from that position. Is this normal? The user's manual severely lacks but I'll give it a look again.

I'm not sure if they changed the operation, but mine is similar. You turn the key and the glow plug icon comes on and then after however long you turn it more to start it. I don't believe these tractors have the setup where you turn the glowplugs on and then they stay on for a set amount of time and the light goes off. I think they're just on as long as you hold the position. The manual has recommended times based on ambient temperature, which is where I got the 10 seconds from... however I forget what the recommendations are (just that 10 seconds is about the max). I have heard of the glow plugs wearing out. If I go to start without glow plugs in really cold temperatures I get the behavior you describe (long cranking times, possibly multiple cranks and when it starts its rough for a little longer).

For reference mine is a b2920

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #20  

I have an older model B ... the B9200. It has no timer on the gloplugs. They are on until you turn the key over to the start position, as you describe. I find myself wanting to re glo a while right after a cold start, but you cant. Often a couple glo then start cyles are needed to keep it running. With your extreme cold you really need some sustained heat I think. A hair drier blowing into the intake will probably do it.
larry