Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #1  

cnice37

Tractor
Kubota B2100
Hi All,

I'm on my 3rd winter with my Kubota B2100. This winter is a bit different, as I picked up a 3pt blower and am using the tractor now more in the cold... and the cold is pretty brutal this year although the snowfall is not.

I do not have a block heater. The tractor sits outside under the lean to, Massachusetts, so cold this year has been -10F worst case.

The first storm I had trouble getting her started in the low teens. I added a battery tender for this storm.

The second storm, single digits and negative with wind chill. Battery tender certainly helped the starter spin stronger and longer. I let the glow plugs, well, glow, for 60 seconds, fire it up and wouldn't run within ten seconds. Stop, rinse & repeat with a 30 second duration on glow plugs, try again.

Third time it came alive. Initial throttle set to about 1200 RPMs. On each try it starts chugging a bit, just won't stay chugging if I let go of starter.

1. So... about how long should a little 3 cylinder diesel require glow plugs active in the near 0degF weather?

2. During this start/ no-start/ re-try, the light all the way to the right on the instrument panel will go out. I think this is ignition switch... what would cause this?

Thanks for your patience, I'm sure this has been asked a million times before, but the info out there on the B-series is pretty minimal that I can find.

I will be looking for a block heater, I am a little worried about breaking the freeze plug myself, so I might seek a quote out first at a local shop.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #2  
The technique your using is just fine. Its just the bitter cold temperatures involved. The block heater is a great idea! Especially one that mounts inside the block as a freeze plug type does. Radiator hose heaters work but not as well. Fresh fuel filters and adding winter additives helps to lower ignition temperature (increases cetane )

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #3  
   / Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #4  
You have a fuel flow problem that is not helping the tractor to start. Add some 911 to the tank.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy
I use the white bottle Power Service year round, don't think it's gelling.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #6  
That coolant heater would be easier to install than a freeze plug block heater. Plug it in about 30 to 60 minutes before you need to start it. Personally I wouldn't leave any heater plugged in more than an hour.

I agree that some diesel treatment would be good. That and making sure your air filter is clean.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #7  
I just add to the advice already given-get some heat to the tractor 9(with a block heater or maybe a salamander under a tarp), change your fuel filters and use a good additive.

Will

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #8  
What weight oil are you running?
A good synthetic that flows well at cold temps will help alot....Very cold motors don't like to start or stay running when they are trying to pump honey:eek:
I'm running 5W40 Shell Rotella T6 and am pleased with the results.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #9  
Also, if your tractor is a gear model hold the clutch in when starting so that your not spinning the trans in cold oil, after it starts and is running smooth, slowly let out the clutch..you will hear the engine pull down.

Cold oil puts a lot of drag on the motor.

/ Kubota cold start B-series... general operation & educate a dummy #10  
Hair drier blowing into the air intake.