Tomato Cages

/ Tomato Cages #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
What kind of tomato cages do you use? I want to make something that will last for years. I would also like something that is easy to store.

/ Tomato Cages #2  
I use a roll of concrete reinforcing wire (6" squares). Unroll the amount you want and cut it with bolt cutters. Then spot weld the ends together to make a round cage. Gas welding is best but I use 6011 and just touch it to the wire for the briefest time.

Cut the tall round cage in half to make two cages. Seem to last forever and are quite strong.

/ Tomato Cages
I use a roll of concrete reinforcing wire (6" squares). Unroll the amount you want and cut it with bolt cutters. Then spot weld the ends together to make a round cage. Gas welding is best but I use 6011 and just touch it to the wire for the briefest time.

Cut the tall round cage in half to make two cages. Seem to last forever and are quite strong.

That is somewhat similar to one I was just looking at.

How to Make Super-Sturdy Tomato Cages: Organic Gardening

/ Tomato Cages #4  
I do the 6x6 concrete wire also, for years. I'll cut the bottom "ring" off leaving 6" to push into the ground and hold them upright. I also cut the end in a fashion that I can wrap the end back to make the circle (rather than welding) They are very tough and last a long time BUT they do not stack like the "V" shaped store bought type and may not fit your "easy to store" criteria.

/ Tomato Cages #5  
Rebar, each side is sort of like a ladder. I slipped some tubing over the vertical piece on two sides and welded it to the mating side vertical piece so it acts like a hinge. Not sure if that makes sense. In any case it hinge flat or you can pull the sides out to make a square. The vertical pieces extend beyond the bottom about a foot so you can press it into the ground....

Maybe I should take a picture.... ;)

/ Tomato Cages #6  
Here are some pics. Flat for storage, opened for placing in the ground and what I used for the hinges. I had these little scrap pieces so I went with square tubing but round would as well.

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

I have two, the other one is taller for indeterminate type tomatoes. I used 3/8" rebar.

/ Tomato Cages #7  
I do the 6x6 concrete wire also, for years. I'll cut the bottom "ring" off leaving 6" to push into the ground and hold them upright. I also cut the end in a fashion that I can wrap the end back to make the circle (rather than welding) They are very tough and last a long time BUT they do not stack like the "V" shaped store bought type and may not fit your "easy to store" criteria.

Sounds like what I used until I moved back to town. I had plenty of room to store them in the barn for the winter.

/ Tomato Cages #8  

I've got 30 just like that and I've had most for over 30 years. What else will last like that?

Charlie

/ Tomato Cages #9  
I also use the re-wire & cut the bottom ring off to stick in the ground, but use a lightweight "U" post on the windward side for extra support. I cut half the cages 6" shorter than the rest, that way they will slip inside each other for storage. ~~ Lowell

/ Tomato Cages #10  

What diameter are your cages?

Thank you,
Jeff