Tomato Cages

/ Tomato Cages #21  
I use cattle panels from tractor supply. I count off three squares and then cut from top to bottom. I use 3 of these cut panels to form a triangle to slip over one tomato plant. Then use one 2x2 about 6 foot long to anchor the cage. The panels lay perfectly flat for storage. If my memory serves me right......I get 2 and 2/3rds tomato cage from each 16 foot panel.

Don

I found a picture I posted back in 2007:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...nmans-jinman-garden-2007-beefsteak-tomato.jpg

Last edited:
   / Tomato Cages #22  
I use cattle panels from tractor supply. I count off three squares and then cut from top to bottom. I use 3 of these cut panels to form a triangle to slip over one tomato plant. Then use one 2x2 about 6 foot long to anchor the cage. The panels lay perfectly flat for storage. If my memory serves me right......I get 2 and 2/3rds tomato cage from each 16 foot panel.

Don

I found another picture from 2007 that shows the completed cage and the jig I used to bend 'hooks' to form the hinges....

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...99-jim-inmans-jinman-garden-2007-dscf1200.jpg

/ Tomato Cages
Thanks, for all the replies. There are lots of good ideas here, keep them coming. I really like the idea of the Florida weave.

/ Tomato Cages #24  
Our tomato plants are big and make big tomatos. We cut a cattle panel from tractor supply in half and get 2 cages out of each

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Tomato Cages #25  
If I find something faster and easier that the weave I'm going to use it. I would not go back to cages, but our old ones were concrete wire, and homemade cone type.

Attachments

• image-922869309.jpg
    image-922869309.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 114
  • image-3787323149.jpg
    image-3787323149.jpg
    662.1 KB · Views: 115
  • image-4286585804.jpg
    image-4286585804.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 108
   / Tomato Cages #26  
I used the Florida Weave last year after reading about it on this site, worked really well. I drove stakes between every 4 plants and used jute twine. It take less labor than cages (since they have to be individually staked), and I didn't have to reach into the cages to snag weeds

At the end of the year, I just cut the twine at the posts, pulled the stakes up then pulled the twine to me through the plants.

/ Tomato Cages #27  
Florida weave is what most professionals use for field grown tomatoes.

/ Tomato Cages #28  
We get big wind storms in the summer, I don't think Florida weave would hold up. Off season storage looks pretty minimal though, pile of stakes and a ball of twine.

/ Tomato Cages
If I find something faster and easier that the weave I'm going to use it. I would not go back to cages, but our old ones were concrete wire, and homemade cone type.

Is that your garden? It is nice.