Coolant Disposal

/ Coolant Disposal #1  

treefarmerguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 5030
I need to change the coolant in a Kubota 5030. What's the best and legal way to dispose of the used coolant?

/ Coolant Disposal #2  
I need to change the coolant in a Kubota 5030. What's the best and legal way to dispose of the used coolant?

Take it to a auto parts store ie Auto Zone.

/ Coolant Disposal #3  
I guess that depends on where you live.

In both NC and SC, counties have convenience centers that accept residents' garbage, recyclables, etc. They also take used motor oil and antifreeze. If your county does not have have these facilities, you could check with local garages and repair shops. Also, I understand that some auto supply stores accept used motor oil -- they make take antifreeze.

Steve

/ Coolant Disposal #4  
Auto parts stores quite taking it here in Ch'ville, Va area. Have to take it on special disposal days at the dump. Not sure what they do with it.

This is ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol can probably just be poured on the ground.

Ralph

/ Coolant Disposal #5  
Yes if your local auto parts won't take it then most counties will have a hazardous material take-up day once a year. A type of ethylene glycol is used at airports for aircraft deicing and sprayed on the runway to prevent ice build-up. At smaller regional airports it simply runs off to the ditch and into the waterway.

/ Coolant Disposal #6  
Call your local Health Department/Department of Environmental Quality.

/ Coolant Disposal #7  
Around here, Auto Zone takes it. They have a bulk tank and no hassle in dumping it.

/ Coolant Disposal #8  
Yes if your local auto parts won't take it then most counties will have a hazardous material take-up day once a year. A type of ethylene glycol is used at airports for aircraft deicing and sprayed on the runway to prevent ice build-up. At smaller regional airports it simply runs off to the ditch and into the waterway.
I'm pretty sure ethylene glycol is poisonous and cannot be dumped on the ground. Propylene glycol is more commonly used as aircraft de-icing fluid.

/ Coolant Disposal #9  
I'm pretty sure ethylene glycol is poisonous and cannot be dumped on the ground. Propylene glycol is more commonly used as aircraft de-icing fluid.

No doubt about it. Ethylene Glycol will kill you graveyard dead.

/ Coolant Disposal #10  
If you're on municipal water treatment, you pour it down the toilet. Not the sewer drain nor your septic.