Running Welders off Generators

/ Running Welders off Generators #41  
I have a Honda EU6500I inverter generator that I use for whole-house emergency power. I recently rigged up an adapter power cable so that I could power my Longevity StickWeld 250 from it. With the welder set to 100A I was pulling around 3300 watts from the generator. With the welder set to 150A and using a 1/8" E6013 I was pulling 6500 watts from the generator.

I used the combination last weekend for a repair project located where I would otherwise not have had 220V available and it worked very well.

I'm comfortable knowing I can now weld anywhere albeit with a 150A limit.

/ Running Welders off Generators #42  
I have a Honda EU6500I inverter generator that I use for whole-house emergency power. I recently rigged up an adapter power cable so that I could power my Longevity StickWeld 250 from it. With the welder set to 100A I was pulling around 3300 watts from the generator. With the welder set to 150A and using a 1/8" E6013 I was pulling 6500 watts from the generator. I used the combination last weekend for a repair project located where I would otherwise not have had 220V available and it worked very well. I'm comfortable knowing I can now weld anywhere albeit with a 150A limit.
That is a nice generator and setup!

/ Running Welders off Generators #43  
I have a Honda EU6500I inverter generator that I use for whole-house emergency power. I recently rigged up an adapter power cable so that I could power my Longevity StickWeld 250 from it. With the welder set to 100A I was pulling around 3300 watts from the generator. With the welder set to 150A and using a 1/8" E6013 I was pulling 6500 watts from the generator.

I used the combination last weekend for a repair project located where I would otherwise not have had 220V available and it worked very well.

I'm comfortable knowing I can now weld anywhere albeit with a 150A limit.

Great generator, I've put over 4000 hrs on mine. I've never used it for welding power since I have a welder/generator and wire feed I use for welding. I've wondered what it would be capable of though.

Brian

/ Running Welders off Generators #44  
Farmerford, regarding 200A,,, what size rod are you using?

Appreciate the data point TXmark, thx for the genuine experience. Miller tech said 7200W (for 1/8 rod, with (150A) inverter welder). Anyway since I need to buy one, I'm thinking that 8000W is a good target for my uses.

As you can see Miller tech is right on. Agree with your sizing decision. Once you spend the money it will be gone forever but you will have the satisfaction of having a reliable workhorse that will do the job for you.

Mark