Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #11  
I took out my L3240 open station fender mounted lights the 2nd or 3rd time I used it in the woods around our field. Lots of long, low branches in the secondary growth between the field grass and the big trees deeper in. I plan to move the hazards to the ROPS - tuck them in, under the radius where the tube bends out and cover the outside with a strap of steel. Not at the top of my priority list, but I have the parts, just waiting for a lull in all the other stuff that needs to be done.

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #12  
We've broken lights on Case, John Deere, Massey Ferguson etc. open station and cab.

Last edited:
   / Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #13  
L5740.jpgM135GX.jpg
Here are pictures illustrating what I was talking about in my earlier post. The broken flasher on the L5740 sticks far outside the machine, the most vulnerable position possible at the cab corner. The working light is protected by the cab. There is a warning flasher on the fender. Same thing on the front - there is a warning light low on the front. The only possible reason for locating in such a vulnerable position is the top flashers are visible front and rear - until they are knocked off. The other picture shows my M135GX which has the flasher inside the cab side width for protection although this tractor is much less likely to be driven into the trees.

Legally the light does not need to be placed in the vulnerable position. The lighting standard states the light must be placed xx from the outside of the machine. Actually the fender lights meet the standard. The top light is not a requirement per SAE and ISO standards, but there is no rule about adding extra lights if one wants to.

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #15  
So which is it?

You work with the tool you have...but that might not have been the best tool to purchase...

The OP bought what he wanted...good for him. But cabbed tractors do have their disadvantages, being more vulnerable to damage in wooded areas. But that doesn't mean he should sell his Kubota to buy an open station machine.
In my case, my 4400 is an open station with turf tires. The tires are great for mowing and snow removal, but not so good in a wooded area (more prone to punctures). Open station tractors have a distinct disadvantage when using a snow blower (which I do use)...I know I'm going to get covered with snow occasionally.
There is no "which is it..."

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #16  
Here is a pic from a similar thread from earlier this year.

Attachments

• IMAG0057.jpg
    IMAG0057.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 302
   / Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab
I install wildlife food plots commercially, plus we have a firewood business so my tractors get year round use. I've put over 100 hours on this tractor since picking it up about 3.5 weeks ago and I've already broken the high hazard lights off twice. It's the worst design I've ever seen. Don't get me wrong, I love this tractor...it's a working man's tractor, no doubt about that.

But, there's more to the story...back in June, I had an A/C problem with my John Deere 4720. It took two weeks to fix it so they loaned me a used 2013 Kubota L5740 cab. I was so impressed with it that I put an ad on TractorHouse to sell my John Deere. But, during the course of using the Kubota, I caught a small, low hanging limb, nothing that I thought would be a problem given my experience with the JD over 800 hours of use. That small limb literally peeled the outer roof fiberglass back and cracked it. A $1,500.00 insurance claim later, the Kubota had a new roof.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that every make has its good points and bad points. For my part, I think the ability to perform and function dependably, day in and day out, outweigh the design flaws associated with Kubota's cab. And, believe me, if you spent this much time on a tractor in all types of weather you'd want a cab tractor.

I also own an automotive repair shop and my service manager has come up with a plan to fabricate guards for the lights. My solution for the roof was to seal the seam between the flimsy fiberglass outer roof cover and the frame by using gorilla tape along the leading edge. Now, limbs can't catch the lip of that roof skin and peel it back. Problem solved...for now. Thanks to all for the helpful comments and ideas, which were very much appreciated.

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab
Here is a pic from a similar thread from earlier this year.

This looks very similar to what my technician described to me as what he intends to fabricate. I think I've seen guards like this on something else but I can't remember what it was.

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #19  
I've seen several posts on making guards...might also find they are available through Kubota, so I'd suggest asking a local dealer first.

Cab tractors do well in wide open spaces and snow plowing drives and roads...not so good in navigating through wooded areas. It's not really a design problem...you're just using the wrong tool for the job.

+1

Don't even think about replacing a broken door glass. I broke one on my M9 a couple years ago. Was almost $1000.00 back then.

/ Hazard Lights Breaking Off Kubota L5740 Cab #20  
I use my tractors for mowing an orchard and logging work. I removed the lights from the Kubota, (hazard and rear tail lights) because I don't need them and left on they will certainly be broken by the end of the first day of mowing.

The only lights I really use on my tractors are a rear work light and head lights, and then, only rarely. It is tough enough to keep those lights functional on my machines, which are serious working units.